Author Topic: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on (11,000 miles on)  (Read 111221 times)

geocycle

Re: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2010, 10:34:14 am »
Glad you are still enjoying the RT and sorry to hear of the seatpost problem.  There are a lot of threads on various fora about stuck seatposts which I'm sure you've seen.  I guess most of us just get the post the right height and forget about it.  I checked mine last night and all is well but thanks for the warning. I've heard people use something called plus gas http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Penetrating%20Oils&product=30700 quite efectively.

freddered

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2010, 06:18:29 pm »

HOWEVER...right now it has a real problem.  The seat post is jammed solid.  I have truly mashed up the alloy post trying to trist and saw it out.

I am about to send it off to Mercian cycles (the only shop who confidently said they could remove it).  Let it be a warning to you all to remove and grease yours before it's too late.  4 years and 4 winters without moving mine was a bad policy.

Hopefully Mercian can get it out because I need my winter workhorse back before November kicks in.

An update:

When I asked for details from Mercian it turned out they were going to use a torch to melt the old seat post out.

This would have meant a respray, suddenly £25 for removing the seat post became an expensive option.

So, after reading about the Alloy-dissolving properties of Caustic Soda, I spent the last 7 days repeatedly pouring a highly concentrated mix of the stuff into my seat tube.  This morning I was able to extract the remaining bits of foil-thin seat post (most of it, probably 15cm, had totally dissolved into black gunk which I rinsed out each morning.).

Caustic Soda attacks alloy but not steel (so this is not a good fix for Alloy frames).

Tips (for anyone who comes by this thread in desperation):

1 - Blu-Tack makes a perfect "bung" to seal the seat tube at the bottom bracket.  Caustic Soda doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

2 - I used 150ml of water to 150g of Caustic Soda granules.  This is VERY concentrated (Drain-cleaning strength is 500ml to 100g)

3 - When you add this sort of mix to the seat tube it all gets VERY hot and VERY bubbly, I advise you wear industrial rubber gloves, boots and goggles.  Boiling hot Caustic Soda in the eyes is probably a recipe for permanent eye damage.

4 - Have a running hose-pipe handy to rinse off the spillage as it boils and bubbles from the seat tube.  My paint seems to have survived but I made sure I was hosing the frame for the initial 10 minutes (when reaction is most extreme).

5 - Use an offcut of seat post to experiment with first and get the mix to a good strength.  It's reassuring to see that it's working.  After 3 days I wasn't convinced it was going to work but my offcut piece started to show real signs of thinning.

Good luck and take care.

freddered

Re: My Raven Tour. 10,000 miles on
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »
Well, It's back on the road again.

New seat post fitted, "T-cut" paintwork with a "Mer" polish.  All nuts & bolts removed and greased before replacing.  Chain cleaned and lubed..the works.  It looks great again.

It turns out that I haven't ridden it for nearly 6 months, 105 miles in total this year.

Anyway, here is a photo taken during its test ride this lunchtime.  I plan to ride it throughout winter so this is as nice as it will look until next summer.

Cake

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »
Tis a beauty.  Well done with the Caustic Soda - that is quite a dramatic fix!

I've pulled my seat post and it is all lovely and greasy, as delivered from SJSC.  Thankfully.

jags

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »
look's great fred great to hear your back in the saddle.
is there much snow and ice your way if so be careful out there. :o

freddered

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »
A quick update to let you know that the Raven Tour is going strong.

I used it for its first Audax in 2 years. The roads conditions were reported as poor so I thought I'd take "The Tank" as it shakes off the sort of abuse that potholes and gravel-strewn lanes dish out at this time of year.

I managed the 206km in a respectable time and with absolutely no issues (despite passing many "faster" riders as they attended to punctures, broken mudguards and such like).

Yes, it's heavy, no, it isn't sprightly up the hills, but you know it's going to get you home.

This is me at Malmesbury, after 80km.  It was still relatively warm and I was still feeling pretty strong.  These 2 things changed once we got into the Costwolds and night fell.

It was my first qualification ride for Paris-Brest-Paris.

I won't be using the RT for PBP but you certainly could.

lewis noble

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2011, 09:10:18 pm »
Well done freddered!!

I have not ridden my RT much for the last 6 months, work issues / health problems - arthritis in my wrists, thumbs / hand joints that make anything other than a perfect surface very painful - and there aren't many perfect surfaces around . . . . . .

So I have now re-tyred the bike, and changed riding position, to hopefully get back in the saddle again - will post separately about that, the reasons and the solutions - and taking the opportunity to renew all cables etc.   

Lewis - Sheffield

freddered

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2011, 05:36:04 pm »
I use 1.5" Marathons but they give a very hard ride I think.

If I had problems with my hands/wrists then I'd be tempted to get some fatter, say 1/75", Panaracer Paselas.  I used to use their Hi-Roads.  A lot more forgiving but not as robust as Marathons.

lewis noble

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2011, 10:50:29 am »
Yes, Fred, that's the line I've gone along.  I seriously considered selling the RT and looking for a bike with 'soft' suspension forks.  I went to 3 bike shops; one identified the 'perfect' hybrid for me, a Cube, the other 2, both of whom know me well, recommended re-tyring.  Robin Thorn said much the same and advised change of posture.

Puncture resistance v important, as I can no longer get the tyre back on the rim without help or a tyre gadget - so I might have to wait for another rider to come along!! 

I had been riding on 1.5 Marathons, running at a pretty high pressure. Fast but harsh ride.   I have put on Schwalbe Duremes, 2.00.  They fit OK in the frame, and my original mudguards are also OK.  Pricey, but first impressions are very good - much more comfortable, and even at a much lower pressure, currently around 35 - 40, roll along very well indeed.  Far less jarring up through the wrists.  And I changed the stem for a steeper rise. 

No decent rides yet, as re-cabling the whole bike - somewhat overdue.  But if it keeps me riding comfortably I will be more than happy. 

geocycle

« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
Hi Lewis, Sorry to hear of your problems.  I hope the tyre solution works.  I now use Ergon GR3's (standard Ergon grips with a big curved bar end) which helps.  You could also try a suspension fork on your RT.  When I bought my RT they were still an option although they don't seem to feature now.  Good luck with your riding in 2011.

Fred: when's the PBP? Did you do it before, or were you just doing the qualifying distances?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:41:14 pm by geocycle »

Cedric

« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2011, 01:17:36 pm »
What mudguards do you use for Marathon 1.5?
I'm searching something with full coverage and narrow clearance.

Thanks

freddered

« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:36 pm »

Fred: when's the PBP? Did you do it before, or were you just doing the qualifying distances?

August 21-25.

I did the pre-qualification rides last year  200km/300km/400km/600km. That allows you to enter slightly earlier (priority entry) than people doing just the qualification rides this year (again 200km/300km/400km/600km).  However, I still need to do the qualification rides as well.  The nice thing is that I know I can do the distances now, that alone makes it a lot easier.  (If a 600 can ever be said to be "easier").

That photo above is the first qualification ride of 2011, 200km. 

geocycle

« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
August 21-25.

I did the pre-qualification rides last year  200km/300km/400km/600km. That allows you to enter slightly earlier (priority entry) than people doing just the qualification rides this year (again 200km/300km/400km/600km).  However, I still need to do the qualification rides as well.  The nice thing is that I know I can do the distances now, that alone makes it a lot easier.  (If a 600 can ever be said to be "easier").

That photo above is the first qualification ride of 2011, 200km. 

Awesome, as out antipodean friends would say.  The PBP has to be one of the great endurance cycling challenges. Keep posting updates as you near the event.

freddered

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »
What mudguards do you use for Marathon 1.5?
I'm searching something with full coverage and narrow clearance.

Thanks

I think they are SKS 45mm.  SJSC fitted them for the original Panaracer Hi Road 1.5"

freddered

« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
Well, I've fallen back in love with my RT.

6 years on and with new front panniers (today) I am prepared for a mini-tour of Brittany in May.  Just 4 days but the front panniers have transformed the handling of the bike, it feels like it's on rails, perfect.

Finally it will be doing what it was built to do.

Here's my test ride tonight