Author Topic: Raven Sizing headache  (Read 5839 times)

Grumbler

Raven Sizing headache
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:03:55 am »
I ordered a Raven Nomad from SJS some weeks ago which IŽll be collecting by mid july. Living in Barcelona the entire specifying has been done by email and phone. After some initial missinterpretation on my side of the measuring instructions in the Nomad pdf brochure I finally went for a 537L frame. I was just disscusing sizing with Adrian whe he left SJS and talked to Andy once on the phone about my doubts (My communication skills are not that good in english and they donŽt get better over the phone). Both of them have been most helpful and I intend to talk to Andy again about this but before I do I thought the experience of other thorn riders might help me get my thinking straight. I am 175,5 cm (5 7,5') tall and my standover height is 82,5 cm (2 7') with cycling shoes. These numbers would support the 537L choice but my "reach" seems short for my height (the tip of saddle handlebar distance (R) in my current bike is 520 mm) and would suit a smaller 512L instead. Both from Adrian and Andy I understand I fall somewhere in between both sizes and I woudnŽt be very far off either way but this is a once-in-lifetime bike for me and IŽd like to get this as right as possible.
           I would truly appreciate your comments, opinions and any imput on this subject that might be helpful (including your own measures [:D] and choices. Thank you all in advance

AndrewClark

Re: Raven Sizing headache
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:44:37 am »
Hi ,

Ordering a bike at a distance can be scary.

I'm 182cm tall with a standover height of 84cm. Measurements from my old bike (drop bars) were N=27cm, S=89.5 cm, L=20cm, B=60cm, R=53cm

Adrian initially had me down for a 562L frame but then changed his mind and put me down for a 537L.

This arrived yesterday . It's fitted with a 10cm 7 degree stem, there are 3 spacers on the steerer tube below the stem (1 above for adjustment). There is 15cm of seatpost showing. I'd specced the Comfort Bars and these allow some fore - aft adjustment as well.

Bike was set up almost perfectly and feels very comfortable.

simonsydney

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 10:46:17 am »
Hi, I am 181cm tall with a standover (in riding shoes) of 84cm and Thorn chose a size of 561L for me (I bought an RST) and it is a perfect fit. I am in Australia and trusted their sizing methods.  When I am inbetween sizes on bike frames, I go for the slightly larger frame, as I prefer putting on a shorter stem to reduce "reach" than have too long a stem if I went to the smaller frame size. I always worry with a smaller frame of being too hunched up.  Just my personal choice.
On other bikes that you have owned, is your personal preference for a slightly larger frame or smaller frame if you are inbetween sizes ?  Also, are you going comfort bars or straight bars ? as there is a bit of "reach" adjustment in the comfort bar, by 'rolling' it forward or back a bit to increase or decrease the distance between the handle bar and the seat (if that makes sense).
cheers,
Simon
ps: stem is 110mm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 10:49:18 am by simonsydney »

PH

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:04:01 pm »
I have experience with one Raven, as do most replying to this thread.
Adrian and Andy have experience with hundreds if not thousands.
Who you going to trust?

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 12:24:15 pm »
Hi,

I have an RST 561L, same size as Simon. However I'm 187cm tall with standover of 89cm. 5cm standover bigger than Simon. I have flat bars with 110 stem and the bike is comfortable for me. I asked Andy Blance whether I ought to go for the larger size and he thought not. So I listened and he is right as I believe the larger size would have not allowed me sufficient possible adjustments. I changed to the 110 from 100mm stem and that feels better. There is alot of adjustment available with different stems, riser bars vs straight, saddles that can be moved back & forward. When I'm older I may raise my bars (they are about 4/5 cm lower than saddle height )or change to comfort bars, with this size I'll be able to do it and still be comfortable.
As can be seen with Simon & I we vary quite abit in size yet we've got the same size bike. I would listen to what Andy Blance recommends and be prepared to fine tune your position until you get it right. I think they must have this sizing question with nearly every buyer.
Good luck and please post your experiences. By the way your written English is excellent you are too modest ![;)]

simonsydney

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 12:35:32 pm »
Swislon, the difference in our physical sizes and the fact we have the same frame sizes is interesting. On the form I ticked the box for 'sporty' for preferred riding style, do you remember what you ticked ?

Grumbler, I agree with PH, Adrian and Andy have done this hundreds of time, I put my trust in them, I don't think you will go wrong if you do too.

AndrewClark

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 02:15:58 pm »
I asked for a relaxed / upright position and thats what I've got.

PH is right though, trust SJS, they must be good at what they do or we wouldn't be buying their bikes!

Andrew

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:50:43 pm »
Grumbler,

Another vote to listen to what SJS think.  They have a good reputation for getting sizing correct.

Swislon

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 07:22:40 pm »
Simon,

I talked my spec through over the phone rather than send in an order form. My usage was for a "jack of all trades" including audax so I guess "sporty" would fit that bill better than the other three. Not upright, not racing. I'm not quite sure what relaxed means perhaps a cross between upright and sporty. Interesting isn't it.

My bars are set about 1.5/2" below my saddle (bars cut off about 1" from either side) and the front of my seat is 57" to the mid point of my bars.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:50:50 pm by Swislon »

ians

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 10:23:49 pm »
I ordered an RST 3 weeks ago - talked through it at Bridgewater with Adrian.  I'm 189cm tall with 89cm standover.  He suggested the 586L with 105mm (6 degree stem).

paulhipwood

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:40:21 am »
Try this site

http://www.bikefitting.com/English/Frame.aspx

My wife got measured up yesterday using this equipment.
I was impressed with the software that was used. We will know in about a week if it works.
There are dealers in Spain who use this.

regards
paul

simonsydney

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 10:27:52 am »
Hi Steve, I'll get my tape measure out tomorrow and measure the same setup as you have and we'll see how different our bikes are. I guess this shows the ability to make adjustments using seat forward and back, stem length, moving the handlebars a bit (I have comfort bars).

It certainly sounds that SJS know what they are doing though with sizing, as we all appear happy with our setups.

cheers,
Simon

Swislon

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 08:34:40 pm »
Ians,

What bars are you having drops or straight?

Using Paul's link on bike fitting it suggests with my inside leg I should have a 59cm seat tube size. On the sizing chart for the RST this would normally be a 586. However when you read the sizing information SJS say "it is better to have one size smaller frame size with straight bars compared to drops....." This is 561L for me 'cos I have straight bars. They will also take into account your riding position, upright, sporty etc.
I think I was inbetween sizes really but the longer top tube on the 586L was thought to be too long by myself and SJS. I didn't want to be too stretched out and also wanted flexibility for the future. I'll post a picture of my bike and set up when I can rescue the camera from my daughter.

Steve

ians

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 10:32:48 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Swislon

Ians,

What bars are you having drops or straight?

Steve

I'm having straights (or rather comfort bars).  I went expecting to order the 561L, but Adrian suggested the 586L.   I guess I'll find out soon enough if he was right.

The hardest decision was choosing the colour not the size.

ian

lewisnoble

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 11:15:08 pm »
Best of luck, Grumbler - whatever happens, I am sure you will be pleased with the bike and the service from SJSC.

Let us all know how you get on.

Lewis