Author Topic: Replacing gear cables on a Rohloff with Ex Box  (Read 2202 times)

bike_the_planet

Replacing gear cables on a Rohloff with Ex Box
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:31:15 am »
Hi Folks,

Has anyone changed either of the shifter cables that run between the shifter and the Ex Box?

According to the manual, one needs to pull the cable completely through and cut to a length of 200mm. When the other cable is pulled through I believe the first cable should retract and now protrude by 81mm?

Is it best to allow an extra 2-3 mm in addition to the 200mm to ensure that the barrel adjusters can be adjusted to take up the slack, or will 200mm +/- 1mm be adequate? I don't want to cut the cable to exactly 200mm only to find that it is just that little bit too short.

Any hints on making this slightly fiddly operation easier? I guess that cutting a piece of old brake-cable sheath to the exact length would probably make a good gauge to work with.

Rohloff cables have to be an exact length - unlike derailleurs where excess can be passed through the clamp and looped until a a cable cutter is to hand. Do others take some pre-cut cables on tour as spares or rely on the fact that they don't break often.

Cheers

peterh

Re: Replacing gear cables on a Rohloff with Ex Box
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:34 am »
Hi, this isn't going to be much help - I haven't changed the cables myself, I was kind of hoping I'd never have to do it. But I did watch SJSC changing the gear cables on my Enduro. They used Shimano cables (I seem to remember they were brake cables - but I might be wrong) and left less than 200mm protruding before attaching to the pulley. They seemed to suggest that the recommendation was too much and the cables would stretch a bit anyway. It looked like a fiddly operation to put everything back together - even for them. My conclusion from this was that the length isn't too important - as long as the cables don't pull directly on the pulley in 1st or 14th gear - which from my experience will cause the cables to break!