Author Topic: Another red Sherpa  (Read 3479 times)

janeh

Another red Sherpa
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:11:04 pm »
Hello,
I have mentioned before the sorry and slightly embarrassing tale of my new frame. I originally had a 460S drop bar Sherpa. After 7 years there was paint damage on the frame and Thorn part exchanged it. I decided to go for flat bars and Thorn recommended a 500L. I felt this was too long and I have, for various reasons, finally arrived at size 500s via size 475M. I am very pleased with it. Thanks a lot PHopwood and Bikerta for sizing advice. Here's a pic of it after a shopping trip. It's not as shiny as Bikerta's as only the frame is new. The steerer is not fully cut yet, but can sort this out when I am sure of the height needed. No touring for a while at present but perhaps in future.

Best wishes,
Jane
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:22:46 pm by janeh »

janeh

Re: Another red Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:24:31 pm »
And here's another. Tried to put both on and once but computer didn't like it.

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:01:45 pm »
Very nice Jane hope you get a few tours in over the summer.one thing for certain you go hungry ;)

jags.

julk

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 09:59:33 am »
I like that red.

My thorn is an ex demo frame built up by SJS, sadly not red.

Maybe a respray will be scheduled at some point in the future.
julk

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »
Great result for your perseverance, Jane!

Seems clear that red now has the mo', eh?

John

janeh

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »
Not good for the pocket! What happened was, when I got the 500L and it was too big, they had no 500s frames in for 4 months. They said I could wait and at least I had a bike to ride, but they also suggested a 475M was a viable alternative. It kind of was, but the 500s feels much better. It's 1cm shorter than 475M I think. There's quite a big difference in length between 500L (57.5cm) and 500S (54cm). Maybe they should do a 500M! According to the website, at 1603mm tall (5'3" in old money), I am too big for a 500S, but it does seem better than the L.

Fortunately my kind husband offered to sort the pickle out for my birthday. I like the red, but I think my favourite bike colour is Royal Blue. I used to have a Dawes Horizon in that colour and it was lovely, if a bit too long!

Best wishes, Jane

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 04:45:10 pm »
i'm kinda spoiled for choice my audax is red and blue ;D ;D

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:29:49 pm »
Considering that it took me three pricey bikes and eight years to achieve a perfect fit, I'd say you got off lightly. And that doesn't count the several new BMWs I bought the physio in the previous twelve years. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 06:34:04 pm by Andre Jute »

bikerta

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:00:57 pm »
Hurrah, glad you got there in the end. The 500s seems like a good all round size. It works for us shorties with straight bars, but is also good for slightly taller people with drop bars. I do really like the red colour although I have seen some of the black and silver combinations that look great too.

The website may say you are too short for the 500s, but it could be that you have longer legs and a short torso in which case the stand over height would be right and the shorter top tube works for your smaller torso. There is nothing worse than that little niggle in the back of your head telling you that your bike is the wrong size for you as it never goes away and the you can't gel with the bike. Hopefully now your mind is at rest and you can just enjoy the bike and maybe you will get the chance of a tour or two in the future.

phopwood

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:41 am »
Jane,

Great looking bike and I am so glad you got it all sorted out in the end.  Being a little short my self I truly believe that the top tube length is key to a good fit.  And finding a decent bike with a short to tube is hard work. 

Have lot of fun on it.

Peter

janeh

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:24:09 am »
Thanks all. Yes I do have quite long legs for body size. I agree about the size niggles Bikerta, hopefully I can make the most of the bike now. I am still adjusting to flat bars, as they are still a new ish thing for me.
Jane