Author Topic: Broken flange - No drama  (Read 2546 times)

PH

Broken flange - No drama
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:53:42 pm »
It's one of those things you read about but think just happen to other people... I was out for a local ride on Good Friday when I had the thump, thump, thump of the rear brake on the rim that usually means a broken spoke, not this time;

I reckoned i couldn't make it much worse,so I slackened the brake off and carried on with the ride, another 22 miles.
Being the Easter weekend I didn't get to ring SJS till Tuesday, I was quickly put through to Robin Thorn, established the bike had come from them and I was asked if it had been crashed, a reasonable question, certainly not an accusation.  I was told to send it to them and they'd replace the shell.  Received an email FOC invoice by email shortly after to return with it.
I was in no hurry and had a busy week so it wasn't till the following weekend I got it together to find a box and pack it up.  Sent off Monday on the 48hr Parcelforce service.  Wednesday lunchtime received a call on my answer machine from Shelly to say the wheel had arrived and was being sorted.  Arrived back with me Thursday morning!!!  It was away from me for half the time it took me to get it together to post :-[  Shiny new shell and what looks like new spokes, the laser graphics look loads better than the blue and yellow label, though the dull plate that isn't part of the shell now looks a bit odd. 

So Rohloff owners are a pretty small club anyway, replaced shells even more elite!  Would I rather it didn't happen, of course.  Considering it's always going to be a possibility that something mechanical can fail, I'm more than pleased with this level of service and lack of drama.  It would be pretty impressive as a warranty repair, but it wasn't. I bought this bike in 2004, five and a half years ago, so well out side even the usual generous German warranty.  I remain a satisfied Thorn customer.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:56:48 pm by PH »

geocycle

Re: Broken flange - No drama
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »
Sorry to hear of the failure.  There are not many examples of this on solo bikes not heavily loaded.  What's the mileage? Still great to know about the excellent service from Thorn.  I also am very impressed with my contacts with them.

Cake

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:16:43 pm »
Ditto what Geo said, PH.

Brilliant service from SJS, and reassuring to hear.  It is a sensible policy (financially and from the subsequently positive press) for Rohloff and their dealers to have - very few flange failures (which get discussed endlessly and the tales spread like wildfire!) but on the odd occasion that one does fail, it gets repaired very quickly, F.O.C., and all this when the hub is supposedly out of warranty.  One of the reasons i bought one and remain thoroughly enthusiastic about it.  Good stuff.

Gary.

PH

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 09:01:11 pm »
Sorry to hear of the failure.  There are not many examples of this on solo bikes not heavily loaded.  What's the mileage?

I've stopped keeping accurarte records, lots of short rides without a computer...
At least 35,000, for it's first three years It was doing 150+ miles a week commuting, which is what I bought it for.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 08:53:02 am »
That's a fair usage.  Was it an SJS built wheel?