Author Topic: Reinforced Rohloff hub flanges  (Read 6116 times)

sbseven

Reinforced Rohloff hub flanges
« on: November 06, 2009, 09:43:21 pm »
Not seen this before...

Interesting thread on YACF.

Apparently, Thorn are now adding reinforcement to the top of the Rohloff flange for tandem wheel builds. I wonder if this is going to be a retro-fittable item for anybody worried about flange breakages...

Shaun

geocycle

Re: Reinforced Rohloff hub flanges
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:36:15 am »
Interesting.  I am pleased the problem for some heavy applications has been acknowledged.  The solution seems to have received a mixed reception but I guess only time will tell.  I'm still reasobnably happy that for mainstream use on a solo the problem of flange breakage is not much greater than on other hubs put to a similar use and is fortunately very rare.

singlewd

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:24 am »
Interesting discussion on the YACF forum, but nobody mentioned that the new 2009 wheel seems to be laced incorrectly. I remember from when I built both my wife's and my wheels, that crossing the spokes over the hub cap fixing screws was a no-no (see page 55 in Manual). I doubt very much that Thorn would make such an obvious mistake, so maybe it's not such a big deal. In fact, does anybody know why one shouldn't lace the spokes crossing over the hub cap screws?

sbseven

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »
I did mention it!  :D

And also that my Raven Nomad 2009 came with hub laced 'incorrectly' (but without the reinforcement). I'm assuming that Thorn have started lacing them up this way, or that it doesn't really matter.

It would interesting if we could get a comment from Dave at SJSC...

Shaun

StuWW

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »
Being a hefty chap and also planning a long fully loaded tour I have gone for a tandem build back wheel on my Nomad Mk2.

It uses the new reinforced Rohloff hub flanges in order to up the spoke count to 42.

Should hopefully have a bomb proof back wheel!

Stu

sbseven

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
Wise move.

Though, I didn't really understand your comment "...up the spoke count to 42". Can you elaborate?

StuWW

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »
I should have said my spoke count is 48 not 42!

Here's a picture or two http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalicat/4335045676/sizes/l/in/set-72157623240086269/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalicat/4335085868/in/set-72157623240086269/

Not sure if the lacing is correct as I'm not an expert on such things!

I'm sure someone will comment in due course.

Stu

sbseven

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:29:53 pm »
I assumed you had meant 48, but was just checking...

That's an interesting wheel build, Stu!

I think it's been laced as a standard 32 hole 2-cross Rohloff build (as per the Rohloff manual**) along with 16 additional radial spokes between the crossed pairs. I can also see that they've added the reinforcing band that was originally mentioned in the YACF thread.

I assume Thorn drilled the Rohloff and fitted the reinforcing bands themselves? I also assume they custom drilled the Andra rim as I thought it only came in 32 or 36 holes?

A couple of other points about the build. Remember, you've now got 2 different (v. short) spoke lengths. And if you did manage to pringle the rim on tour, you can just rebuild the hub with a standard 32 hole MTB rim by just ignoring the radial spoke holes. That's quite nice!

Did you get Schrader valves? They look Presta to me, but maybe just the photo angle...

Well 'hefty chap', try and break that wheel.  :D

Shaun

**It wouldn't work the 'incorrect' way because of the placement of the additional spoking.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:39:25 pm by sbseven »

StuWW

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
Interesting points Shaun, handy to be able to use an mtb rim in an emergency.

I forgot to ask about the valves so they are Schraeder, although you can get a presta valve adapter so I could still pump up at garages if I was feeling lazy!

I've been throwing it off every kerb and down every pot hole on my commute, but those wheels just won't bend  ;D

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:44:49 am »

I assume Thorn drilled the Rohloff and fitted the reinforcing bands themselves? I also assume they custom drilled the Andra rim as I thought it only came in 32 or 36 holes?

There was a thread about this so time back.  Apparently the hubs are drilled by Rohloff - at Thorns request