Author Topic: Emails from AndyB and Fiona in Patagonia  (Read 3770 times)

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
Emails from AndyB and Fiona in Patagonia
« on: February 07, 2011, 03:04:47 pm »
Sat 22/01/2011 20:25

Hi there everyone,
I hope all is well where you are.  For us, all is dandy.

The journey here was, as anticipated a nightmare.  Possibly not as bad as we trained ourselves to expect though.
We arrived in Buenos Aires to find a cool day, only 25 degrees or so, with torrential rain.  Every taxi driver in the city conspired to take us to the cleaners, and when we finally got to the domestic airport, they could not take our luggage as the rain had washed their storage area away or something.  So we headed back to the Kings Hotel (no smarter than it was 5 years ago Sally, but we hold the friendly place close to our hearts).  After a fine steak and a bottle of wine we crashed out for a few hours - my was it good to be horizontal for a while!
And then the 3.5 hour flight to Rio Gallegos.  Arriving at 3am was a bit disorientating.  This airport has the longest runway in the country - something to do with it´s proximity to The Malvinas. I was however, surprised to find that it has a modern terminal that, despite only receiving 4 flights a day, remained open after we had cleared baggage reclaim.  We were able (well, Andy was able) to put the bikes together in peace and comfort and then we stretched out on the benches for a couple of hours snooze until it was light.

At 7am we were blown 6 miles into town.  En route we stopped at a service station for coffee and met 3 gnarled old motorcyclists touring Patagonia towing trailers each.  After learning our plans they sucked on their remaining teeth, shook their heads, scratched their beards and warned us about the wind.  This was only a breeze and it wouldn´t always be behind us.

We continued into town and found a lovely bright airy hotel.  After a wander about and lunch, we went back to the hotel for a lie down and slept for 17 hours, emerging in time for breakfast at 7 the next morning! We have spent the past two days touring the museums.  We enjoyed the Pioneers museum and the city museum, but the next four we tried (arts and naval museums) were all firmly shut, and the  Malvinas Museum, that we were particularly interested in, was closed for refurbishment. Well we tried and walked for miles in the process, working up a good thirst.

It is so good to be here. There are 17 hours of daylight and temps are 10 -28 degrees. It is either overcast and drizzly or bright blue sky and ferocious sun but always the relentless wind.  I had forgotten things, like the packs of dogs, some beautiful pedigree jobs, some weird mongrels, the cars with bottles on the roof to signify that they are for sale, the friendly politeness of the people.  It is amazingly bright and colourful in this odd little town of 80,000.  Most houses have tin roofs and I never knew corrugated iron came in so many colours - salmon pink, baby blue, lime green, bright orange. Some houses have black or grey roofs but rather few!

Anyhow, we have looked at the maps and read up some stuff.  It is 600km from here to Ushuaia by the direct road.  This could take us nearly two weeks, but of course we will not take this route unless conditions are far worse than we anticipate.  We went out for a jaunt today along the river front, first with the wind behind us we freewheeled at 10mph.  Turning NW, we went straight into the wind and dropped down 5 gears still struggling to achieve 6 mph on tarmac.  I have planned a route along the road less travelled, which will involve us travelling west in several loops along gravel roads, but I really hope to avoid going NW into the prevailing wind!  Nonetheless, we may take 3 weeks or more to reach Ushuaia, and the only real town we may encounter will be Porvenir.  Basically, don´t be alarmed if you don´t hear from us for a while.  We will be fine, even if we are hopelessly unfit at present.

So, we will set off tomorrow, all clean and heavily laden with fresh provisions.  For once in all our journeys, we should be heading with the prevailing wind predominantly behind us.  Or so we currently believe!!

Take care everyone and may the wind be behind you too!!!
With all best wishes,
Fiona and Andy

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
Re: Emails from AndyB and Fiona in Patagonia
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »
Mon 07/02/2011 02:51

Hi there everyone,
I hope all is well with you and that all the snow and ice has cleared.  It is cold here too, and there has been snow on high ground but there is daylight from about 5am (I believe) to 10.30pm.  It is just weird!

We arrived in Ushuaia nearly two weeks after leaving Rio Galllegos.  Looking back, I cannot imagine why we ever thought we would get a favourable wind most of the way, but at least the wind has not been as strong as that which we have experienced in some years!

Heading south on the mainland we observed a lot of wildlife, mainly cute faced Armadillos, rheas (like ostriches) and guanaco (wild lama type things).  Whilst totally unafraid of huge lorries, these creatures would go batty at the sight of a couple of harmless cyclists. The roads have wide verges before a four foot wire fence borders the private land beyond.  Rheas are unable to jump the fence and would trot along just in front of us for several kilometres before daring to turn around and dash back in the other direction looking smug with themselves for getting away successfully.  Larger guanacos would clear the fence with an effortless bound, but the smaller ones would often climb through or dash about nervously whilst the biggest males would try to cause a distraction by bellowing and making threatening gestures to us. I wouldn´t want to tangle with one as I believe that, like camels, they can kick out in all directions.

This area was very dry and bleak.  Although we managed to find water each day, (crossing the border into Chile provided an opportunity to fill our bottles) it was only ever as much as we could carry with us, so hygiene became a little neglected!  However, we found some great spots to camp, including near an astonishing blue lake - we did not go down to it though as it was at the bottom of a volcanic crater!!

As we approached the Magellan Straits the wind really picked up and we struggled to control the bikes.  We abandoned cycling early one day as we were being buffeted all over the road, and, as it was a headwind, we could not hear approaching traffic.  It was dangerous.  We spent a long evening and a comfortable night in the tent in shelter provided by a roadside gulley.  Oh we know how to live!!!

Thankfully it was a short crossing over the Magellan Straits to the island of Terra del Fuego and I just held myself together on the rough sea.  As we made sedate progress across Tierra Del Fuego, we almost had the place live up to it´s name.  Yet again this year the camping cooker is playing up and giving us (well Andy really), problems.  I had been idly contemplating the fact that camping involves an awful lot of plastic and nylon, but had considered that we had a cotton tea towel and cotton bag that I keep the ´kitchen´ in.  You guessed it, one evening a few days later, these items were pressed into service as fire fighting equipment (together with rather a lot of our precious water!).  The fuel bottle sprang a leak and the emerging jet of petrol caught light - a fact I was alerted to as Andy rolled away in a successful bid to put himself out!  It turned out that an o ring was missing from the pump so allowing the fuel to leak out under pressure.  I thought Andy was very brave to rectify the problem and continue cooking dinner.  No harm was done, neither Andy or the cotton ware were burned, and dinner tasted especially delicious.  However, we both felt very relieved that we never cook anywhere near the tent as this heart pounding event could easily have turned into a catastrophe.

Cycling across Chilean territory (about the size of Wales) was a peaceful experience.  It is one of the least densely populated parts of the world with a population of 7,000, of whom 4,500 live in the main town, Porvenir.  The roads are all ripio, and we took a quiet route past the abandoned estancia at China Creek.  I found this place bleak and spooky, but at least there was a stream there and we filled up with water before pedalling a bit further to a more hospitable camp spot. After this and just before departing Chile (well about 500m before the border actually!) we stayed in a roadhouse for the night.  It was extraordinarily expensive, but the big attraction, that we simply could not pass by, was hot water and a shower.  Well that and a delicious lamb dinner and beer!

And so we pushed south into Argentine Tierra del Fuego, and pedalled down to world famous Rio Grande.  Well world famous if you are a fly fisherman!  The city is totally without charm, but we stocked up at an excellent supermarket before battling the wind to get out of town. With the terrain getting hillier and the bird life more varied, we took a dirt road detour through increasingly dense forest.  We saw lots of Condors along this stretch.  They must have been attracted to a meal, and we saw two take off from the ground nearby.  One flapped its´wings and was several kilometers away in moments, whilst the other merely wheeled and soared to an enormouds height in the same time. They really are awesome birds, and massive too.   We continued to the lakeside town of Tolhuin, a place which charmed us to stay for two nights  - it has a fabulous bakery with wonderful empanadas and a brilliant campsite on the lake shore with delicious hot showers.  Lots of beautiful song birds flitted around camp and kept me amused in the mornings.  We were able to do lots of laundry and they had a lovely wooden building with a roaring fire where we would spend the evenings in comfort.

It is astonishing how this island changes from dry, barren and windswept to forested snowy capped mountains with glaciers and vast lakes in such a short distance.  The final 120km into Ushuaia were dramatic past deep glacial lakes, through birch forest and over the Paso Garibaldi - a smooth well graded road clinging precariously to the mountainside.  The ´descent´into Ushuaia almost finished me off.  Into the wind with another 400m of climbing, I was exhausted.  Ushuaia is not the sort of place that an exhausted cyclist wants to trail around looking for a place to stay.  It is like 'the Streets of San Francisco´ and I didn´t need any more hills.  We took the first available room too tired to consider the expense, so I am pleased we are in a fabulous light airy, huge room with an enormous window overlooking the bay and Isla Navarino.  We also overlook a landing strip and can observe the pilots practising take off and landing - so far all successfully.  And the bed is fabulously warm and comfortable too!!

For those of you who know it, Ushuaia is a bit like a little Bariloche by the sea!  It has lots of gear shops, cafes, icecream bars, restaurants and choclatiers, but no gnomes!  We love it and have spent hours in the wonderful museum.  There is a busy port with container and cruise ships and a few pleasure craft and yachts.  The city is in a stunning location, surrounded by water and mountains and is truly a fitting spot for all it´s ´End of the World´claims.  It feels like a million miles from the other windswept, bleak parts of Tierra del Fuefo and I´m glad that we struggled on down here!

Having considered our options for leaving Ushuaia, we have decided to cycle out and on Tuesday we will set off for Porvenir along ripio roads, into the wind and across mountains.  Despite it being cold, it is wonderfully desolate and there don´t appear to be any biting insects!  It offers unparalled opportunities for wild camping although the north and east are quite arid and water is a bit short.  However, in the forested southern parts, where there are plenty of streams, we have been using the water filter for the first time (on this, our sixth trip to the region!). Some 25 pairs of beavers were introduced 60 years ago, and now, apparently, there are quarter of a million of them.  We have seen lots of their dams, but not yet, a living specimen, but apparently, they can spread giardia, so we are taking precautions with the water.  From Porvenir, we will take the ferry to Punta Arenas.  (I am dreading this as it will be several hours of swallowing hard!).  We hope to then catch a bus north, where, fingers crossed, it will be warmer even if it is at the expense of daylight.

Anyhow, that is about the long and short of it so far.  We are both feeling a lot fitter now, even if a bit sore around the knees, and ready to tackle anything.  If we thought the wind was unhelpful getting here, I really don´t expect it will be any better on the next leg of the journey!

Best wishes and congratulations on making it this far!
Fiona and Andy

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 01:21:20 am »
we need to see some photos please ,take care out there sounds like your having fun be it the cycling seem very tough going. ;)

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:44 am »
Hello everyone,
We have not heard much news of late so hope that all is well in the world especially where you are!

We are now whiling away a day back in Rio Gallegos awaiting a bus out this evening.  We are still hopeless at Spanish.  I spotted a Comedor (diner) here in Rio G that looked good.  When we went in, it was full of groups of men sitting together eating and a few women.  It was a while before the waiter approached us, and as he took our order, I noticed his shirt had a police badge on it.  Looking around the room again, I saw that everyone had a police badge on their shirt, sweatshirt or jacket.  We had a nice meal and left a healthy tip.  We still don´t know if it was a police canteen, social club or just a restaurant frequented by the police.  Maybe if we could have understood the signs on the doors......Oh, but we have a lot of fun not quite getting it!

We had to leave Ushuaia as we were in serious danger of damaging our arteries with all the meat, cheese and pastries we were eating.  We are hopeless tourists and the list of things we did not do in Ushuaia is staggering.  There wasn´t even anything on at the cinema that we wanted to see.  But we did enjoy hours at the museum! 

It was glorious to be back on the bikes clean, refreshed and the great expanse of Tierra del Fuego to look forward to.  Now we were heading up the main route through TdF ´´against the flow´ and met a dozen or so cyclists nearing the end of their trips.  We didn´t meet anyone who had started in Alaska, but from Cordoba, Salta and Bariloche.  Three other people had Thorns, (we met Olie and Marion), which is a staggeringly high percentage of the touring bikes we saw on the road!! We stopped and chatted for a while with everyone, we had a common language, everyone wanted to pass on the information about the bakery in Tolhuin!

It was lovely passing through the mountains again.  The Garibaldi pass is only some 430 metres high, and the surrounding mountains are 2,000-2,500 m, but it is such big scenery, chock full of glaciers, hanging valleys, truncated spurs, arretes, corries and U shaped valleys.  I don´t know how old the excellent new graded asphalt road is, but the tortuous old gravel road built in the 1950´s is still accessible and gives access to some great camping spots.  We spent the night at the top of the pass, simply because we could.

Just as we´d put the lights out, something came tripping through our guy ropes.  Andy is much braver than me and got out to see what was happening.  By the light of his headtorch, he spotted the eyes of a zorro a few feet away.  We quite often see these little foxes along the way.  To me they resemble a rather large tabby cat and aren´t very fox like at all.

We spent another night at the campsite in Tolhuin (also visiting the bakery).  I love this campsite on the shore at the end of a vast glacial lake.  The pitches have windbreaks and there are stacks of wood.  It is the only place that I have been where they actually encourage you to use hot water! Just chuck another log under the water boiler and use all the hot water you want! The two guys who run the place as as chirpy, camp and friendly as can be and make you very welcome.

Once again clean and refreshed, we plodded on up the asphalt road towards Rio Grande.  The weather was warm and for the first time this holiday, I cycled in shorts and short sleeves.  We now understood the much heard ´four seasons in one day´´ as finally we encountered a bit of summer!  The weather has been amazing with restless clouds that change from moment to moment, sometimes bringing stinging sleet and hail.  Usually, by the time we had put our full  water proofs on, drawing hoods closely around our faces as the hail really hurts, the cloud burst would have moved on and we would be back in bright sunshine.  The wind was invariably very cold though and today was the first time that I had slicked up all over with suntan lotion and felt quite warm!  Andy was optimistic that summer might stay with us for a bit and it did.  Two days!

The road was busy and I found the traffic more wearing than the relentless wind.  Cars hurtled past too fast and too close, not realising we could not hear them or that their draught as they passed would often throw us off the road.  Lorry drivers were more considerate and passed on the other side of the road, but nonetheless we got a serous buffetting from them.

The traffic confirmed our plan to take the road less travelled and we wanted to turn west some kilometers before Rio Grande.  We weren´t sure exactly how far out, so we were considering a night at the campsite in town, a meal out and a bit of a restock of our provisions. However, the temptation of a shower and other comforts was not sufficient to take us the 25km detour into Rio Grande.  We would be heading towards a place called Cameron, where someone had told us, we could get some food, all we really needed now was water.  The turnoff came right by a police checkpoint, so after a moments deliberation we decided to ask them for water.  The lovely policemen were only too happy to fetch us mugs of hot water thinking we wanted tea or something.  How we all laughted when we produced 10 litre bottles, but they all abandoned their posts and set about filling them from their gerry whilst we stood about watching soccer on tv.

Stocked with water, we turned west along the gravel road, into the wind and mountains towards Chile and Cameron on the far coast.  As we pitched the tent that night, the wind abruptly dropped, the insects came out (and yes they do bite), the sky was curious, but ominous with dark foreboding clouds and  brilliant rainbows.  We thought there must be a storm out over the Atlantic and then suddenly the wind backed!!

We had been too tired to look for a really good camp spot and had camped that night rather conspicuously by the road.  I noticed a car drive slowly past, the driver peering at us and then a few moments later he passed back again.  I pondered this for a moment until Andy pointed out that we were pitched within casting distance of one of the finest fly-fishing trout rivers in the world!  Evidently we didn´look like poachers though!

Wonerful!! The next day the wind held from the east and we had a tail wind blow us all the way to the Bella Vista border.  The Argentines here were great and fed us sandwiches and insisted that we camp that night near their post as ´there was nothing on the road ahead´ ( Nothing except Chile of course!). They showed us around, introduced us to their horses and then left us to get on with it.  The next morning, they indicated the best spot for us to ford the Bella Vista river. A broad, clear, fast flowing river, we wished we had crossed it the previous night to give our shoes a chance to drain before wearing them wet, for a day in an icy wind (now from the way we were heading, the west).

On reaching Chilean immigration, we met a nice family travelling in a large Landrover.  They informed us that they had met the immigration officers a way down the road, but they would come back to their post soon, so we whiled away half an hour chatting to them.  (Yes, they spoke perfect English!)  They told us that we were mistaken and that there was nothing until Porvenir 250km away.  Now we regretted having been too lazy to go into Rio Grande and we must have looked a little crestfallen as they gave us what they could.  A bread roll, two yoghurts and best of all, 300ml of diesel for the cooker.  When Chilean Immigration Officers returned, they confirmed that no, there was nothing until Porvenir and gave us two packets of tuna!

We took stock of our situation.  We had brought food that would last us another three days.  We hoped we would reach Porvenir in four days, but were aware that now we had the anticipated headwind, if it was very hilly, it could take 5 or 6 days.  Using diesel with our already temperamental stove, although in the instruction book, was not something we had tried before and we did not know how effective this fuel would be. Worst of all, we only had 1/3 bottle of whisky left!  Obviously we decided to press on!  In the event, the ride lasted 5 days, with what we were given plus all our emergency rations, we managed to eke our food out, but we both thought of little else for the duration of the ride!

As we pedalled around Bahia Inutil (Useless Bay), a car drew up and we chatted a while to the Chilean driver and his American wife.  They were going with some tourists they had found to see a penguin colony.  A couple of hours later they came back, (we were about 10km further down the road) and showed us their photos.  I was amazed.  I was expecting pictures of little Magellanic penguins, but no, these were whopping King Penguins!  Apparently, we´d passed within a few kilometers of the only (and secret) colony of these birds outside Antarctica!  It may be a useless bay for shipping, but apparently not for penguins!

Finally, we reached Porvenir having eaten every last bit of our food and making a massive push into town.  After visitng the bakery, we found an hotel, and there in the lobby, were the Swiss couple we´d chatted to about penguins the previous day.  They were out to dinner with the local couple, and would we like to join them?

Quickly we washed and changed and no-one recognised us when we re-emerged all scrubbed up.  We had a lovely evening.  The ´´local´´ couple, were actually from Santiago, but were here to turn around his father´s King Crab busiuness and she is expecting their second baby.  Andy and I tried King Crab and Antarctic seabass- a delicacy that is not usually found  in Chile as it is for the export market.  It is the most delicate buttery fish and I wish I´d had more of it!  We rounded the evening off in a club drinking with the Swiss until we were thrown out.  I should know better.  Surely I should just eat chocolate excessively with Swiss people?

The next day we all took the ferry off the island to Punta Arenas whilst dolphins escorted the boat.

Tierra del Fuego was not all wind and food (???).  I suspect that we have cycled around more of it than most people, and I think most cyclists miss the best of it by sticking to the main route.  We loved the skies and the ever changing weather (except the wind which never really abated).  We liked the wild bleakness and we camped in some beautiful magical woods and magestic forests.  We saw lots of wildlife, flamingoes, ducks and geese.  We had condors soaring low over our heads and guanacos yelling and posturing at us and then creeping up close to our tent when they thought we weren´t looking.  It is a magical, mysterous place and I am so glad we pedalled around it.  But I don´t think we will be back there in a hurry.  It is a remote and tough cycle touring destination!

We spent a couple of days in Punta Arenas.  I felt crook and Andy was not 100%. He blamed the crab, I blamed the burger and we both hoped it was not giardia from the water!  He spent his time with the Swiss and I stayed near the hotel!  Our plot to go north out of the wind and into some warmth seemed thwarted.  We want to go about 1,250 miles north to our old favourite Bariloche.  My sister Amanda and partner Peter are coming out for a few weeks and we would like to meet up with them.  However, there is not a bus for days, so we decide to get on our bikes and cycle back to Rio Gallegos, after all, it should be a tailwind.

Two days out of Punta Arenas and astonishingly, the wind conspires to turn against us.  It is cold, grey and our progress is slow, but we doggedly stick to our schedule.  Having cleared immigration, we are back in Argentina as the skies dim and we start to look in earnest for somewhere to camp for the night.  Just as it starts to rain, a truck pulls up and insists on giving us a lift to Rio Gallegos.  It is only 70km and we will be there in an hour.! We offered scant resistance and I left the men to load the bikes and climbed into the warm cab.  Hoorah we will be there just in time for dinner!

We were the last ones into the British Club Restaurant that night, but even arriving at 11.30, the food and service were excellent!

And so we have tickets booked for a bus to Bariloche leaving this evening.  It is a 23 hour journey that will see us there shortly after Amanda and Peter, and so the next stage of the adventure will begin.  We are optimistic that it will be warmer and less windy there!  Amanda and Peter are bringing out their Thorns, so we may even cycle with them for a few days before we get on with our own agendas.

Best wishes in your endeavours!
Fiona and Andy

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:07:58 am »
Sun 13/03/2011 04:47
Hi there
Andy and I are now in Los Angeles in Chile.  We visited this city 2 years ago and now find it somewhat changed as it is recovering from the earthquake 12 months ago.  Most of the buildings are ok but some are severely damaged and fenced off.  It seems to be the subterranean services that are most affected with practically every street corner dug up.  It is traffic chaos!

Anyhow, we are miles from the coast and plan to head back towards Argentina tomorrow.  The footage we have seen of Japan and the tsunamis is truly horrific and it seems incredible that this has come hot on the heels of the New Zealand disaster.

We met up with Amanda and Peter in Bariloche two weeks ago as arranged.  To get there, we had a terrible 26 hour bus journey sitting near a lady with a hideous cold that Andy subsequently contracted.  It was otherwise uneventful except for clipping wing mirrors with an oncoming lorry leading to our bus losing a wing mirror and suffering a broken windscreen.  After a lot of faffing around the driver flagged down an oncoming bus from his firm, and despite it being 4am and 8 hours from our departure point, we swapped buses.  Not an easy task in the darkness on the side of a dusty road.

A & P had a worse journey with delayed flights, missed connections and bikes left in Beunos Aires.  Whilst A & P arrived a few hours late, their bikes took 3 days to catch up which was a bit galling especially because we kept being told to sit and wait for them at the hotel!  Anyhow, it provided a good opportunity to chat and catch up and we wandered around town, the paleontology museum and the nearby ski resort of Cerro Cathedral.  We took chairlifts to the top of the pink granite mountain and enjoyed fabulous views of the surrounding lakes, peaks and condors.

Bariloche seems to have smartened itself up since our last visit.  It has some stylish new shops, flats and other buildings, the streets have been repaired and the gnomes have all deserted the town. It does still have the amazing Del Turista chocolates and icecream and it now boasts a chain of three Alberto´s steak restaurants!

Finally we all set off together on our bicycles.  We decided to ride one of the passes with Amanda and Peter and then go our separate ways.  This worked out well and we were never too far behind them.  However, on the second day, the cooker finally packed up.  Andy had really had enough of it by now as neither of our two pumps would work.  This happened about 50km from the spot where our previous cooker conked out, and similar to then, we hitched back to Bariloche and bought a new cooker.  We now have a little gas burner, which to date is doing us proud.

We continued north and west passed a condor site that has been used for roosting and nesting for centuries.  The high basalt cliffs are stained white with their droppings, but we were just able to discern a few chicks through my binoculars.  We continued up the lovely pass which is dominated by views of the superb symmetrical volcanic cone of Lanin and closer to us, stands of aurcaria trees.  I tested the limits of everyones patience by pottering around the trees enjoying the tranquility and, more importantly, collecting the delicious nuts.

The gnarly descent lead us into Chile where we found a lovely campsite recently established in an orchard.  Here we overindulged in fruit and enjoyed the facilities.  The newly constructed toilet block was fabulous with pristine white porcelain set in the roughly built hardwood plank rooms.  The chap that ran the site was very hospitable and brought us over some of his freshly squeezed apple juice, known in spanish as Chicha.  This caused much merriment as we thought he was going to introduce us to his english teacher!  We would not have nearly so much fun if we could speak the language!

We continued down to Pucon and Villarica, both big tourist towns where we found fabulous bakeries selling arguably the best empanadas in the world.  They also had amazingly good pastries and bread and so with panniers stuffed, we waved goodbye to Amanda and Peter.  We were sorry to see them go having enjoyed being with them for 11 days, but they had to get back to Bariloche and we have to get on to Beunos Aires.  During our time together we did our uttmost to teach them all about eating in Argentina and Chile and they managed our barbecue evening admirably.
Andy and I headed for the Pan American and rode 120km to reach the small town of Lautaro where we could not find anywhere to stay.  We enquired at the fire station and a young chap hopped on his cycle and toured around with us looking for a room.  We were passsed from place to place but no one would have us.  As it was getting dark, we decided to give up and bought some food, put on more clothes and fitted lights to the bikes planning to either cycle all night or camp at a service station.  We were outside a small hotel at this point and the owner came out and took pity on us and arranged for a room to be cleared for us at a hostal over the road.  We were grateful for a bed and a showewr that night, but even more grateful for the ham and cheese omelette the next day.

As we blasted down the Pan Am for two days, we met up with a young Australian cyclist.  Yesterday was a rather gruesome day - gray and drizzly in between intermittent heavy showers.  Sound familiar? Bryan helped to keep our spirits up and is now sharing a suite of rooms with us.  Andy is proving to be a very good negotiator at hotels and this has given us plenty of space to wash and dry all our soaking kit.  We are now clean, fully stocked and prepared for the final leg of our adventure leaving Bryan and Los Angeles tomorrow.

We have just been to see the excellent film the Kings Speech , and I am whacked out now, so please forgive the drivel and all the mistakes.

Hope to see you soon.
Best wishes,
Fiona and Andy

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:51 am »
Sat 26/03/201
Hi everyone,
It must be spring now.  When do the clocks change? Is it today - I hope so as it would be nice to get back to some lighter evenings.  We are now in Neuquen, where we went to see the new Woody Allen film last night and loved it.  Is it Tall Dark Stranger - we don´t always get the same titles in Spanish?  We have been busy today, the bikes are packed for the overnight bus ride tomorrow night to Beunos Aires to arrive in time for our flight on monday night.  We are back home on tuesday evening.....work on friday 1st April! (for me anyhow).

We spent 11 days with Amanda and Peter which is the longest that I have spent with her for years (and ever with Peter!).  It was good to talk nonsense, hang out and holiday in each others company.  It has taken years for Andy and I to settle into each others cycling speed and patterns and I am sure that it has been the same for Amanda and Peter.  Given this, I think that we all did amazingly well touring together.  Amanda and I did not even squabble, and I´m pretty sure Andy and Peter didn´t either.  (Yep, Andy has just confirmed this!).

We pedalled together north out of Bariloche and across the Andes at a low, but scenic pass that gives great views of the snow capped volcanoes and the quiet forests of monkey puzzle trees.  We camped one night at a busy but informal camp site and as we sat eating supper together by torchlight, a cyclist pushed up his bike and sat in the dust at the side of the road.  It turned out that the site manager would not allow him to camp as there were no more free pitches.  It was dark, the chap was exhausted and the road was difficult enough on a bike in the daylight, so we offered Gilles a share of our site.  We made him tea as he pitched his tent. The site manager was furious with us, but never mind - our Spanish was not up to it!

In Villarica, A and P abandoned us to head back to Bariloche and we headed north for the Pan Am.  With two and a half weeks left of our holiday we still had a long way to go to catch our flight from Beunos Aires.  We met up with Gilles again and then we fell in with a young Australian cyclist for three days.  We enjoyed his good natured humour and his healthy appetite was refreshing.  It was corn season in Chile and Bryan enjoyed trying out all the speciality dishes employing this ingredient (along with his 100th litre of chocolate milk!).

We left him going north out of Los Angeles, whilst we turned east for the mountains.  By this time, we were on about our 86th route revision.  The weather had become unsettled and we had got thoroughly cold and soaked en route to Los Angeles.  With Bryan, we had got a bargain suite of rooms and dried everything and cleaned ourselves up.  We enjoyed some good food and booze as well as going to see the Kings´Speech together.  As we headed for the mountains with the panniers chock full of food, the skies were still leaden.  The clouds occassionally lifted a bit to reveal a blanket of snow, but the rain kept falling intermittently on us.  We purposefully made slow progress.  We were headed towards a pass where in May 2005, 45 young Chilean troops, all from Los Angeles had died in a storm, some only half a mile from the barracks.  We knew it could get nasty up there, apart from which, if we were going to cycle through the Andes, we wanted to see them!

It took three more days for the weather to clear and settle, by which time we had crept to the foot of the pass enjoying some great, quiet camping on the way.  It was glorious, suddenly we had blue skies and sunshine and the mountains sparkled with their fresh, deep coats of snow. The low clouds gave some phenomenal sunsets.  Clouds scudding off the volcano caught the red glow of the sun and made it look on fire.  Luckily I was there with my camera.

The 2,000m Paso Pichachen is beautiful.  It is dominated by Volcan Antuco which errupted one hundred or so years ago covering a massive area with debris and damning the nearby river.  Now the road passes across larva and boulder fields round the lake and then climbs up passed a ghost like ski resort, towards the pass.  It is a scenic route, but very steep, rough and tough in places.  We had the mountains almost to ourselves with three cars passing each day, and a gaucho we saw a couple of times on his horse.  He stopped to chat and tell us about his cows and how he was going to herd them down lower.  We dawdled along enjoying the beauty and tranquility of our surroundings.  We had some great camp spots on scraps of grass beside rivers and streams.  One we had to compete with a small herd of cows for, as they came through early in the morning to graze it and were a bit shocked to find us.  Even the Chilean Immigration Officers seemed surprised to see us - none of them were in uniform!

Passing along one 10km stretch of road there are 45 markers showing where each young soldier fell, some on their own, some in groups. Families have personalised these with photos, painted rocks, flags and small items. Work has just started on a monument to these men, who are referred to as victims, not just of the storm but bad leadership.  Some were undoubtedly heroes too.

Eventually we descended into Argentina and what a descent it was.  It involved 2,000m of climbing, and when eventually we reached the town of Chos Malal, some motorcyclists asked us about the condition of the route.  Beautiful, hilly and sandy with thick loose stones we told them.  Their BMW motorbikes were up to the job! In Chos Malal, we ate a lot of goat.  We liked it. We were the first into the restaurant at 9.15pm and I think they would have kept bringing us out more meat all night but we gave up on the delicious feast after second helpings.

The wind was blowing from the north, so we decided to leave Chos Malal south to Zapala and then go east to the provincial capital of Neuquen.  In the event, the wind was only behind us for half a day, but we bashed it out to Neuquen reaching here in good time.

We have met a lot of cyclists this year, they all seem to be doing linear routes, from here to there.  It is just us (and Bryan) who seem to wander about, making it all up as we go along and going where our fancy directs us.  It suits us very well, and as long as we have enough food in the panniers, we are not too troubled by what lies ahead of us.  We have spent this entire holiday in Patagonia and wind seems to have been the most notable feature, notable because it always seems to be against us, despite us endeavouring to go with it.  The first cyclist we met this trip, was a pleasant young German giant on his third day out from Ushuaia.  He was uber clean and well dressed in expensive biking kit and full of plans to reach Salta by april.  We saw him again a couple of days ago.  It took us a while to recognise the young tramp on a bike, with his ripped shorts, filthy top and weather beaten skin with scruffy dusty beard. His new plan was to reach Mendoza by april.  He was having a fabulous time!

I don´t feel at all ready to come home and would happily potter around on my bike for a whole lot longer. The bikes are certainly up to it! I´m not tired and dirty enough yet (although those with a sensitive nose may disagree).  However, home it must be and the long freezing days in Tierra del Fuego do seem a long time ago.  It is definitely autumnal now.  The trees are changing colour, daylight hours have shrunk, whilst still strong, the sun is low in the sky and the air has quite a chill in it for much of the day.

Over the last seven years, we have spent over 14 months in this region covering twenty odd thousand kilometers crossing the Andes 26 times, yet there are still plenty of places, roads and passes that I would like to explore.  I have started thinking about next years trip.  I think it may be somewhere totally different!!

I look forward to seeing you and catching up with all your news soon.
Best wishes,
Fiona and Andy