Author Topic: Repeated punctures . . .  (Read 3377 times)

lewis noble

Repeated punctures . . .
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:53:02 pm »
Hello Thorn people . . . .

Would welcome advice on possible causes of frequent punctures.  My daughter rides a Trek hardtail to and from University, and had a puncture before Christmas.  I replaced the tube for her, rim tape good, no obvious cause of puncture, put a new tube (Halfords) in.  She does not kerb or misuse the bike, Schwalbe Marathon 1.75 x 26 tyres fitted and in good condition.  She rode it once, tyre went down the next day.  Hole seemed to be on the 'outer' edge of the tyre, but I could find no source of the puncture.  I replaced with another (Halfords) tube, thinking I might just have got a dud tube.

And guess what??  She rings me to tell me flat tyre again.

What should I be looking for??  I have got some Schwalbe tubes from SJS Cycles as spare stock, which I hope will be of better quality, but how much difference does the tube make?? 

On each occasion I put the tube in carefully, avoided pinching etc . . . . .

Just bad luck??  or what??

Lewis

Relayer

Re: Repeated punctures . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:06:46 pm »
Hi Lewis

How old are the tyres?  It may be that a very small piece of glass has burrowed it's way through over time, this could be very hard to spot. 

At the risk of teaching my granny how to suck eggs, before you remove the tyre, mark on the tyre where the valve is; try to identify the location of puncture spot on the tube in terms of distance from the valve; closely examine the tyre around that approximate location inside and out by touch as well as sight; dig out anything suspicious with a sharp pointed object.

Alternatively, if you have a spare 26" tyre, try that.

Hope this is helpful, good luck.

macspud

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
Hello Lewis,
I suggest that prior to removing the tyre you mark where the valve is and direction of rotation, also mark the direction of rotation on the inner tube. from this you can work out where the puncture is in relation to the tyre which makes it easier to check for anything which may be causing the problem, if you can't find anything mark on the inside of the tyre where the puncture was so that if it happens again you can check whether it's in the same place in relation to that mark inside the tyre if it is then there is definitely something in the tyre.
Better that than wasting money on more new inner tubes.
Good luck...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:34:23 pm »
Hi Lewis,

So sorry you're experiencing such trouble; frustrating!  A lot of work and concern, too, I am sure.

I agree with the others; first index the tire to the valve and rim, as suggested.  I do it by placing the tire so the label is dead-center on the valve..  Once indexed, it should become clear where repeated puncture are occurring.  

I also agree it is most likely a small piece of glass or sharp stone is the culprit.  If it has not fully penetrated the casing or only gone partway through, it won't cause an immediate flat until the tube has been inflated awhile.  I went through this on one seemingly endless commute that turned into one long tire changing session years ago; always indexed the tire, tube and rim thereafter.  In my case, it was a tiny, sand-grain sized piece of sharpened gravel after an icy winter's day of road-sanding by the street maintenance crews.  Like a tiny knife, it was.  Another time, the nearly-invisible cause was a small piece of wire, part of the belt of a blown truck tire. This one was nearly invisible and really hard to locate.  I had the hardest time removing it with pliers.

Here's a little laundry list of things to check:
- Inner tire casing (most likely cause, meaning the sharp piece has penetrated the tread and worked through; check the sidewall also).  It helps to partially turn the tire wrongside-out when looking so the inner stands proud and any foreign objects are more visible.  Careful running your fingers around; they can be easily cut like the tube.
- Rim tape (spoke end can be the cause here, as can the overlapping seam of the tape)  A rim burr may not always be covered by the tape.
- Valve hole (a rim burr or sharp edge here can cause the valve to part when pumping)
- Bad valve seal in the tube (either a damaged presta bobble/nut or loose Schrader valve core)
- Tire liner (if present; these all seem to cause flats eventually as they wear the tube thin)
- Bad batch of tubes (porosity) or faulty patches (typically bad or dried glue)

Age can have something to do with it.  New tires are generally more puncture-resistant due to the rubber being more "live".  Tires of any type are more prone to puncture in wet conditions. I still recall science class in junior high...we used razor blades to cut and size tubing for the Bunsen burners. One could saw away all day with a dry razor blade, but add a drop of water and it went through in a single slice. Road hazards are more likely to do the same on a wet tire.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:21:22 pm by Danneaux »

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:47:40 pm »
Thanks for comments - the idea of a small imbedded object could fit, as it takes a day or so, and a couple of rides by my daughter, to fail again . . . . The tyre is several years old, though looks externally OK.

And Relayer, fear not - all advice welcome and we can all miss or be unaware of elementary things!!

I should take more time and mark things up, but one gets impatient . . . . and it takes longer in the end.

lewis

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31:00 pm »
Had a couple of punctures like this in my Marathon XRs a couple of years back, on tour. Slow leaks, giving me a spongy tyre. The culprit was a fine piece of wire (from thrown truck tyre treads - lots along the highways we were travelling). I prised it out, then got another two days later

Rinse and repeat - another slow leak two days later.

I put a new tyre on and rode into Adelaide. On the rest day, patching the three tubes I discovered all were at the same position around  the wheel  ::). It was actually only the one tiny sliver of wire, but must have been broken and I had pulled out only part of it. These little needles are usually easily felt by running your finger around inside the tyre, but need tweezers to pinch out. This one was deeper and required some poking about.

This may be your culprit, embedded but difficult to track down. When inflated and riding they can push into the tube.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:33:28 pm by il padrone »