Author Topic: New saddle and new problems  (Read 15573 times)

martinf

Re: New saddle and new problems
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 07:53:24 pm »
Could the spring on the flyer be angling you forward?  The team pro is perfectly flat.  For the flyer to achieve the same position the springs must have to be compressed slightly?  If you're not particularly heavy or the spring is very strong being new it might be you are not getting quite the horizontal platform you had before? I've not tried one so I'm guessing here.

Worth playing with the tilt of the saddle. Compared to standard B17 I have my sprung saddles tilted slightly downwards (and slightly higher on the seatpost) when measured unloaded.

For Matt - I have a used Brooks Conquest in my spares box. This is more or less the same width as the Brooks Professional (i.e. narrower than the B17 and the Flyer). I would be quite happy to swap my Conquest for your Flyer if you find you don't get on with it and want something a bit narrower. I'm in France, so postage woud be a tad more expensive than in the UK, but probably not too excessive. But I reckon it's worth giving the Flyer a good try first.

leftpoole

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 10:36:46 am »
I put a  Wink after I said about knees hitting the bars.

Ah! In that case you simply need to ride ride ride the new saddle and use a massive 'layback' seatpost.
Regards,
John
PS The ride ride ride will as you know shape the saddle.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 06:38:49 pm »
Thanks once again folks.
What a great forum this is!

Martinf. Nice offer. I think I'll keep working on a solution but will keep it in mind.

Leftpoole. Yes indeed. Ride ride ride. No problem breaking the saddle in. But its my whole body position that's the problem.
As you and Dan both suggest, a lay back seat post is probably the answer.

I'll have a few more tweaks and then let you all know where I stand. Or sit, so to speak!

Matt
Who feels he has saddled you with a problem
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »
Matt
Who feels he has saddled you with a problem
Dan, who assures you this is the kind of support Forum members are only too happy to supply!

Best,

Dan.

in4

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 07:10:24 pm »
Re Adjustable head stems: Here's a few on Amazon to look at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=zoom+adjustable+stem&tag=googhydr-21&index=sports&hvadid=23547010832&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17294690768638221343&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_9a4sbncp2l_b

No idea what brand mine is but I guess they all do the same job.
Different names used for the same item, just to add further confusion!  :)
Hope that is of use/interest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:13:48 pm by in4 »

Donerol

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 10:45:06 pm »
Some are better than others, apparently (i.e. more or less prone to slipping). Have a look at this review. A lot will depend on your riding style, though if you just want it for short-term experimenting you could get away with one of the poorer ones if you are careful.

I was lucky enough to get a s/h Ritchey which I find excellent.

leftpoole

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 10:57:43 am »
Hello,
After giving this a great deal of thought.
The saddle is not really suited. Your original style saddle worked, why change? Sprung comfort maybe?
I think that the rails, the shape are not going to work for you. The only other way is a Brooks B66 Champion which I think goes further back.
Or indeed a large layback post.
Regards,
John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 05:46:51 pm »
Thanks John.
If it ain't broken why fix it? Indeed.
Background to the change was seeing the new saddle at a bargain price, having some Xmas money to spend and my planned trip across the Pamir Highway which can be a wee bit bumpy I believe.

Before making the saddle change I had fitted new bars and Egon grips. I recall thinking I had found the ideal set up!

Then along came the new saddle!!

So, its either buying a set back seat post and also a new bar stem or sell on the Brooks.

I'll think on for a while but may finish up flipping a coin.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 04:01:19 pm »
Hello folks,
Saddle up for the continuing adventures from Scotland UK
Hope you are sitting comfortably - I think I am.

Firstly, thanks again for everyones input and suggestions.

I called SJS last week to check on my back-ordered EBB. I had looked at mine last year and noted it was very worn with dents dings and grooves. Time for a new one. This was last October. Every month SJS apologized for the delay but I thought I'd give them a buzz this month.
Turned out it had arrived and was in the post! Sure enough, it arrived the next day.

While I was on the phone I thought I'd ask their thoughts on the saddle situation.
They recommended the lay back option.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/vk-saddle-adjuster-prod1249/
When I asked about extending the bars forward the chap said it was an option but then the steering could become heavy.

So I went with the saddle extender.

It arrived yesterday and took me a bit of time to work out what bolts went where but here's the result.
Pictures taken with the saddle post off the bike - too cold to work outside and Mrs.Matt was home - so unable to bring the whole Raven inside for the work.

Weather here in Scotland has prevented a proper test ride. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

A quick sit on the bike allowed me to trim the angle and I defiantly felt the benefit of the lay back position.

Cheers my friends.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 04:16:22 pm »
Best followup yet, Matt! Sure hope this does the job for you. The adapter looks to have done the trick.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 05:51:45 pm by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 05:58:27 pm »
wow, that's a nifty device!

geocycle

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »
wow, that's a nifty device!

Indeed, and there is a lot more travel backward if needed. My only concern would be leverage stresses on the saddle rails as they are not held at all centrally. This may be unfounded though. Certainly looks a good solution.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 09:38:41 pm »
My thought is that the springs on the flyer should help relieve stress not just on one's sitting anatomy but also on the saddle rails! Still... that is a mighty big extra offset!