Author Topic: New Shifter  (Read 9080 times)

Fred A-M

Re: New Shifter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:23 pm »
I appreciate that Rohloff's over-riding philosophy doesn't meet everyone's precise individual needs - but would also argue that keeping eyes on surroundings rather than the shifter has an overall safety benefit (in addition to enjoyment benefit alluded to earlier) that makes Rohloff's stance even more logical. 

avdave

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »
As someone who uses the hub off road in the dark at this time of year I would like to be able to see what gear I am in when I stop. One of the great benefits of the hub for off road use is that you can change gear when stopped. I frequently have to stop and go through gates and I don't want to be changing down and slowing down as I approach them, I want to ride up to then at my normal speed and as I go through them select the right gear to set off again. The excuses, for that is what they are, offered by Rohloff are laughable, if you don't need to know what gear you are in then don't put an indicator on at all, if you do need to see then put one on you can read. And who of their customers would be in the slightest bothered if they could see the numbers. The answer is none. They simply got it wrong at the design stage and up till now have been reluctant to change it because of the cost involved. The numbers start visible and then become invisible with use and they want me to believe that's a design feature!

brummie

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »
I never look at my shifter gear numbers - If I stop I automatically twist down two gears before setting off again...

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »
"If I stop I automatically twist down two gears before setting off again..."

Seems like a basically good idea. Though I am in the i-want-to-know-what gear-i'm-in camp so I'll nitpick :->.

How do you adjust the rule for slow approaches, versus fast arrival & sharp braking? Or rolling to a halt or a short incline.

mamaroneckmarc

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 04:23:40 am »
I emailed Rohloff regarding the expected arrival date of the new shifter.....looks like next month.

Hi Marc,

I am currently in the process of translating the instruction manual. This should be finished next week.

I am however unable to state exactly when the shifter will be available as we are still waiting upon estimated lead times for the various components from our subcontractors.

I am hoping that we will be able to deliver by mid-February at the latest.

Have a nice day.

Best Wishes from Fuldatal, Germany.

Stewart Stabik,
Technical Support Manager
Rohloff AG, Germany

snoogly

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »
Seems the new shifter is 'live' now. On the Rohloff site you can see a photo of the new shifter, with no sign of the 'old' one.

onmybike

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:50 am »

Mark

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 10:05:40 am »
I received my rohloff from starbike last week and was pleasantly surprised that it arrived complete with new 'lite' shifter, it appears new hubs are now being shipped with this as standard.

peddles

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »
Got mine now and fitted it last week. Gotta say, I am pleased to be able to tell at a glance which gear I'm in and it does avoid those nasty surprises I used to experience sometimes between 7 and 8. The feel to the hand (being round) is different to its triangular predecessor and a bit strange initially but overall, It was worth changing.
It came without any instructions and it did take me a little bit of faffing around to establish how to feed the cables correctly. I would hope its coming as standard now on new bikes.

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 11:24:27 pm »
Peddles
I'm tempted, but my bike fitting skills are "intermediate". Is it a -swapping brake pads- job, or a -changing a cassette- job?

peddles

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:23:51 am »
Hi Alcyst,
Somewhere twixt the two I guess, I was most nervous about getting the cable inners cut the right length and without mangling the ends. Good luck.

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 12:21:42 am »
Well that wasn't too painful. Though the bike was out of action for a week or so, & the kids & wife left the kitchen during both painful sessions (I am not a DIY person).

I got the new shifter (from starbike). The instructions were in German, though the English version is available as a PDF on their order page. You do need to remove the old gear cables, & while a mechanically minded friend did have ideas on how to re-use those, mortals will be advised to buy 2 new cables along with the shifter (doing this cost me a week). Some other brand may work, various LBS insisted that the Rohloff brand cable was the only choice. They admitted to little experience, I have less, so I ordered 2 new cables & some new bayonet connectors (mine had been well salted & one of the headless bolts refused to budge).

Doing the job was easier than I realised, the cables did slip into the right slot. I agonised a lot over which was the "1/down" cable & which the "14/up".

Finally, there is a video on YouTube by none-other than Thorncycles.co.uk, aka SJS, which takes you through the process. The matter of fact tone is soothing, the advice on getting the cable length right works. It's great. Those guys should go into the bike business!