Author Topic: Clicking on Rotation - Cause??  (Read 1553 times)

j1of1

Clicking on Rotation - Cause??
« on: October 08, 2012, 05:44:17 pm »
Hello All!  I'm seeking some advice on a clicking noise that is driving me crazy!  Bike:  Nomad MkII with Rohloff Hub.  Problem:  When riding I get a clicking sound on every rotation of the pedals.   I thought the problem was bad bearings in my pedals so I bought new SPD pedals, but the clicking continues!  The clicking is definitely coming from the left side of the EBB - Left Pedal area.  When I take my left foot out of the SPD pedal and rotate with my right foot only the clicking goes away.  With both feet locked into the SPD pedals the clicking disappears when I lift hard with my left foot.  If I lift normally with the left foot and hard with the right foot the clicking remains.  I've never had this problem with SPD pedals before so I'm starting to believe the problem can probably be solved with a EBB adjustment.  Thoughts and advice appreciated - except for  advice that suggests I get headphones and turn up the music volume so I can't hear the clicking!  Thanks in advance!   Jan   ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Clicking on Rotation - Cause??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 06:17:28 pm »
Hi Jan!

Ohhhhh, boy; clicking noises are one of the most intriguing and difficult problems to solve on a bicycle 'cos the noise so frequently telegraphs along the frame, making it difficult to locate and address. You've sure done some good detective work to this point that seems to pinpoint the problem at the bottom bracket.

Here are my suggestions for most likely causes; others will no doubt weigh in with their own suggestions and -- hopefully -- something will um, "click" and solve the problem for you:

= Remove the pedals and grease the pedal threads; reinstall.

= Check the torque on *both* eccentric bolts; I suspect one (perhaps the left-hand one) is slightly loose(r).

= Remove the eccentric, re-grease it, reinstall, and retorque the bolts to spec.

= Loose chainring pegs/bolts.

Hoping this will help.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 06:37:11 pm »
One other thing to check if you havent is your left cleat. Failing that check your left knee. Sometimes mine clicks too

Andy

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »
Yes, you need to be systematic.  I'd start with cleat, then pedal, then crank.  It might also be worth shifting the EBB 5mm temporarily to see if the noise goes. I've had two of these noises. Once was the EBB slipping because of over assiduous tensioning causing holes to merge, the other was the crank.  I greased my square taper, although others are adamant this is a no-no and the noise went away.