Author Topic: A Thorn for xmas  (Read 6309 times)

philb

Re: A Thorn for xmas
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 11:51:22 pm »
In my opinion the 17kg load limit for the RTS and the 20kg for the audax MK3 are a lot with modern lightweight camping gear. I can't imagine I would ever have 40kg on the bike unless I was doing an extended long tour. I'm sure the Sherpa handles loads better than the other bikes mentioned, but that would come at a cost. You really need to work out what YOU need. Good luck! 

john28july

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:33 am »
In my opinion the 17kg load limit for the RTS and the 20kg for the audax MK3 are a lot with modern lightweight camping gear. I can't imagine I would ever have 40kg on the bike unless I was doing an extended long tour. I'm sure the Sherpa handles loads better than the other bikes mentioned, but that would come at a cost. You really need to work out what YOU need. Good luck! 
Hello
Agreed-I have been camping loads with bikes and I never have gone over 15kg fully loaded.
John

Fred A-M

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 11:16:28 am »
Even on longer trips, where you might want to take food and a reasonable amount of spare clothing to avoid the chore of washing clothes too often, the RST will do you fine - the 17Kg limit is recommended for handling reasons only but will fine if you take a few kilo more, as long as it sensibly distributed between front and rear.  My experience is that the RST handles better fully loaded with front panniers than just rear panniers (12 kg recommended max).

In case you haven't seen this, I think this might reassure ref buying an RST

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2197.msg10524#msg10524

I'd agree with other contributors that the Rohloff is noticeably better for hills/mountains than derailleurs - entirely predictable/reliable means that over a long climb, I've found it to be more ergonomic and quicker with a loaded bike and the ability to rip up and down gears easily for intensive descending/ascending is a bonus - you are simply more able to focus on your surroundings than worry about gear changes, making IMO a more rewarding touring experience. 

PS. Yes you do need to ease off between 7-8, and very occassionally I get an unsmooth change under pressure between 4-5 (I think), but still far preferable to non Rohloff counterparts.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:20:44 am by Fred A-M »

Neil Jones

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 03:49:29 pm »
Well Fred If those photos aren't enough to convince me that the RST is perfect for my needs I don't know what is, I wouldn't want to carry any more luggage than that. What spec did you go for? ie rims, brakes and rear rack. I've got a Son dynohub (36 hole in silver) with Schmidt E6 headlight with B&M Toplight Plus which I find adaquate for my needs, only problem is I would like a black 32 hole Son to match the Rohloff if I went for the RST. Anyone interested in a perfect condition Son dynohub front wheel built into DRC ST19 rim and a rear with same rim with XT hub built by Spa Cycles?

Fred A-M

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 06:42:17 pm »
Hi Neil

The spec as it stands is summarised half way down the page in the following link, apologies for laziness, but not being particularly technical, I tend to forget what the bike came with!

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=775.30

I think the only things I haven't covered there are the racks: the rear Tortec Rack which I think was about £25, is extremely light but carries up to around 30kg, bought either seperately or transfered from a previous bike, I can't remember.   The front racks are Tubus Duo, which lean very slightly forward on the RST (see pics), but is not a problem with me.

Neil Jones

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 04:46:11 pm »
Got knocked off my bike coming home from work yesterday, bloke in Mercedes SLK T-Boned me at junction, ended up with broken collarbone. Maybe compo will pay for a new bike! Seriously thinking of upgrading to Shimano XTR brakes now.

Fred A-M

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:56 pm »
Sorry to hear this, wishing you a speedy recovery!

So you were hit side on!?

Neil Jones

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:42 pm »
Yes side on, bloke said he never saw me which is strange considering on my journey into work I was thinking to myself how good the Schmidt E6 was as I could see road signs as far as 100 yards away. Banged my head on the road too (no helmet). Amazingly there was more damage to the Merc than the Super Galaxy which to be fair shows how tough those bikes are. Trying to think of ways to make myself more visible when I get my Thorn bike soon.

julk

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2010, 07:14:34 pm »
Sorry to hear you were knocked off, best wishes for speedy healing.