Author Topic: Clunk from back wheel & sluggish gears after oil change  (Read 2053 times)

neil_p

Clunk from back wheel & sluggish gears after oil change
« on: July 11, 2016, 07:37:55 pm »
I've recently noticed that when my back wheel bounces on the ground (when I am not on the bike) there is a definite clunk from the back wheel. The QR is tight, the S&S couplings are tight .... any ideas?

Also I've just done my annual oil change and a couple of gears (11&13 or 12&14... grip shifter slightly out of line) feel sluggish. Could the oil change have deposited some material somewhere troublesome? Can do another change if needed ...

geocycle

Re: Clunk from back wheel & sluggish gears after oil change
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »
We might need more clues here! Try slackening the QR. Shifter problems are usually cable related, does it move freely when disconnected?

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:18:54 am »
The permitted maximum torque on the quick release versions (CC in identifier) of the Rohloff hub is only 7Nm/62in.lbs. In practice 3-5Nm is good. That's like finger tight and one turn with a spanner on the nut if you imagine a thin locking rod in the place of the QR*. This is one-finger snapover territory for a well-oiled and carefully installed QR, not a knuckle-skinning fist-banger.

I set mine (which is also the CC hub but with the QR replaced by a security-lock rod) with a small torque wrench at 5Nm.

*A real nutted axle, Rohloff's TS type, is torqued to 35Nm, a different engineering proposition altogether, but that's a much thicker rod than the CC's QR.

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 01:22:37 pm »
Right, the clunk was the S&S coupling after all - It felt tight, but when I used the spanner I was able to tighten by a quarter turn.

However the sluggish gears have prevailed ... shifting is fine, but the hub sounds noisy and feels sluggish in 12 & 14.  Any ideas?