Author Topic: Hub Maintenance  (Read 1927 times)

Templogin

Hub Maintenance
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:03:48 am »
May be a bit of a how long is a piece of string question this, but here goes ...

Just had a new wheel from SJS, Andra rim and Hope hub.  It got me thinking about hub maintenance.  Do you guys/girls grease your hubs, and how often.  My riding type is 95% on road, the other 4% on tracks.  That doesn't add up to 100% due to government cutbacks!

Thanks

Andy

davefife

Re: Hub Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:15:31 am »
hope hubs need little maintenance other than occasional cleaning of the freehub ratchet ring and pawls, especially if ridden in very wet muddy conditions; remove the axle end cap and pull off the freehub.  Bearings are cartridge and you knock them out and fit new ones, you tube official hope channel shows how.  I have a hope mtb hub that has taken dogs abuse (95% off road) over 13 years, wheel is on its 3rd disc rim and hub second set of bearings.  Have many customers with hope hubs and am building more and more wheels using them.

Of course some folks on here may remove the plastic seal on the outboard bearing faces and pump in fresh grease, if you are up for it, thats cool!  Oh and dont try and remove bearings from the freehub, fit a new one.  Your next stage is a hope bb with easy change bearings, just as long lived, certainly longer than ones from the big S and stronglight :)
D

Templogin

Re: Hub Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »
I should have said front wheel, but I get your drift anway.

Thanks a lot

Andy