Author Topic: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on (11,000 miles on)  (Read 111405 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: My Raven Tour. 3500 miles on
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2008, 09:50:13 am »
Fantastic achievement Fred.  Well done

Cake

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2008, 11:17:02 am »
Yep, great stuff Fred - an achievement to be extremely proud of.  Well done indeed.

freddered

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 11:50:48 am »
Thanks all. I think it was very tough but it's a blur now.

It's strange but it stopped feeling like a fantastic achievement the moment I had done it.

Some people cry when they arrive at John O Groats, overcome with the achievement of their amibition. I think I said "OK, that's done. Now,where's the pub?"

Groucho Marx once said "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member"

Similarly, I seem to have an outlook that says "That couldn't have been all that difficult because I just did it".

I suppose I'm doomed to a life of disappointing achievements.  The best I can say I felt about getting SR was "Thank God that's done, now I can do something else for a while"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:56:04 am by freddered »

geocycle

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »
Well done Fred, great achievement.

What do you think caused the tyre problem?  I've not come across anything like that before -except a memorable moment with an electric fire!

freddered

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 02:34:23 pm »
Well done Fred, great achievement.

What do you think caused the tyre problem?  I've not come across anything like that before -except a memorable moment with an electric fire!

I'm not sure.  They are rated at 100psi and I put 100psi in them.  the tyre didn't tear or anything, it just ballooned and stretched the tread-pattern alarmingly.  I was waiting for a loud bang to be honest as I quickly tried to deflate the tyre.

I've inspected it and I can't even tell where it deformed now.  The tread looks fine as do all the threads inside.

The problem is of course that once it's stretched once it's likely to do it again so I can't take any chances.

Any long rides in future will be done with a folding spare in the bag(The 1.5" Tourguard is quite light). Shorter ones will be done with a tyre boot to patch over weak spots.

Tip: Take a small stick of chalk so you can quickly highlight any defects/punctures on tyre and/or tube.

Oh yes, and one of the best tips I have seen (and used on the ride):

When you have a puncture/breakdown on a long ride have a snack and a drink BEFORE making plans or starting the repair.

Doing this means 1. You eat and drink with clean hands, 2. you calm down and make better decisions  3. You calm down and make less mistakes during the repair.

IT REALLY WORKS

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 04:24:27 pm »
Hi Fred,

Re the tyre problem,

I've twice had a problem with tire deformation - both times it was in a 26 X 1.5 tyre (but not a Schwalbe).  I found that the root cause was my pressure gauge, it was under reading by about 15PSI.

Stuart

PH

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
Congratulations, are you enjoying a break?
I'm having a year off Audax, after a disappointing season last year with several DNFs.  It was a good decision as I'm already looking forward to next season and the things I've done instead should make me more comfortable with those distances.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
Excellent renovation Fred.  I've got an old British Eagle 531 Frame sitting in the garage. I keep promising myself that I am going to get resprayed and the build it up as a single speed.  Looking at your photo is a big incentive to actually start the project.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2008, 11:48:21 pm »
Yep very similar  - except mine is in purple with rust highlighting!  It was a hand-me-down from my brother and my first real bike. It initially saw me through University and has seen a number of tours since then. It was also my main commuting bike for a number of years.  In short it has being hammered.  In more recent times I have almost scraped it a number of time but every time my hand has being stayed - I must be getting sentimental or something.

vik

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 12:56:40 am »
The issue with Brake Levers and cable routing affects V-Brakes (long-pull, Linear-pull) only.  Cantilevers are centre-pull (symmetric) and also use 'Normal' brake levers rather than long-pull Dia-Compe287V levers. 

Cane Creek now makes some very nice v-brake compatible drop bar brake levers. I have 287V's in service on my Surly LHT touring bike with no complaints.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

freddered

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
Cane Creek now makes some very nice v-brake compatible drop bar brake levers. I have 287V's in service on my Surly LHT touring bike with no complaints.

The Cane Creek and the Tektros are the same brake lever I think.  I fitted the Tektros becasue they are so cheap.  Much, much nicer than the 287v.

Nicer looking, better made, better braking but possibly a bit 'fat' for some hands.

Here is a comparison between my old 287 and my new Tektro.

No comparison in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:52:55 am by freddered »

freddered

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 08:26:28 am »
(Actually "My Raven Tour 9000 miles on")

IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING....

What a Thorn Raven Tour looked like during a heavy frost that turned mid-Hampshire into a winter wonderland.

It also got me around my first Audax ride of the year (200km) (Oxford -> Malmesbury -> Cirencester -> Chipping Campden -> Oxford), through wind, rain and darkness, without any fuss or discomfort whatsoever.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:41:30 am by freddered »

geocycle

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:15 am »
Great pictures fred and congrats on the first audax of the year.  I'm tempted to enter one this year to give my rides more focus.

freddered

« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 09:42:23 am »
Great pictures fred and congrats on the first audax of the year.  I'm tempted to enter one this year to give my rides more focus.

Of course you should.  Even the smaller ones are mini-adventures. 

What area are you in?

What is your maximum comfortable distance currently?

geocycle

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 10:52:38 am »
I'm in north Lancashire - south Cumbria.  My maximum single day has been about 105 miles over hilly terrain in the Yorkshire dales, although I only ride slowly.  If I remember correctly, this took about 8 3/4 hours including lunch and drink stops.