Author Topic: Lighter than a Nomad  (Read 2933 times)

KDean

Lighter than a Nomad
« on: October 08, 2021, 12:18:03 pm »
After my operation I won't be able to use my nearly new Nomad Mrk2  as it will be too heavy for me to lift on to my van rack & over gates etc . I'll move it on & like to hear recommendations of something lighter for day trips or the odd over night , with Rohloff  & 2" plus tires for comfort . I can't see any weights on the website so perhaps they are all weighty ?

Matt2matt2002

Re: Lighter than a Nomad
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 05:16:28 pm »
My 10+ year old Raven Tour is much lighter than a Nomad.
44lbs/ 20Kg

I run 1.25_ tires but I've had 2"+ on for tours.
Did you want a new bike?
No Ravens being made now.
( Maybe a few frames left at SJS?)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 05:18:37 pm by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

martinf

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 06:44:53 pm »
like to hear recommendations of something lighter for day trips or the odd over night , with Rohloff  & 2" plus tires for comfort.

My own "lightweight" day bike is a Raven Sport Tour built up with (relatively) light rims and no racks, just a saddlebag. Max tyre size on that frame is about 42 mm with good mudguard clearance. It weighs around 14 Kg with empty saddlebag, so about 1 Kg more than my former lightweight derailleur tourer. The saddlebag unclips fairly quickly, so I could reduce the lifted weight by a little if necessary.

I like a saddlebag for lightly-loaded rides, an alternative would be a lightweight rear rack like the Tubus Airy and unclip the rear panniers for gates and lifting onto a vehicle.

My Raven Sport Tour is one of the three bikes I store on hooks in my garage, putting it on the hook is much easier than if I try with my Raven Tour, which is a "heavy" build not far off 20 Kg with front and  rear racks, Andra rims, etc.

In the current Thorn range the nearest equivalent sounds like a light build on a Mercury frame. To get the advantage of really wide tyres without adding too much weight you could specify this with 650B "gravel" tyres.

To get a good specification with a Rohloff and 2" (or bigger) tyres I don't think you could get all that much lighter than a Mercury, unless going for a carbon fibre or titanium frame, which might save another few hundred grams.

PH

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 07:51:57 pm »
I can't see any weights on the website so perhaps they are all weighty ?
Yes they're all weighty, all touring bikes are, Thorn offer a 700c Nomad and the brochure says "The resulting machine is almost as light as a 700c Mercury with identical 853 fork"
How much the almost is, I don't know, I'd be surprised if it was 500g.
With the right kit you could probably get your current bike below 13kg, I doubt you'd get a Mercury build much less than 12kg and only then with a lot of expense and some compromise.

I think you're going to have to consider something considerably different to make a significant difference. I find when lifting bikes it isn't so much the weight but the size and shape.  My Airnimal Joey weighs in at around 12kg (Without guards and rack) it's far easier to pick up and move around than my more normal bikes. 

Good luck, but I think there's a danger of spending a lot of money and finding it doesn't make any difference.

martinf

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 08:49:03 pm »
I think you're going to have to consider something considerably different to make a significant difference.

Maybe. I reckon it depends on the current weight of the Nomad, if it is like my Raven Tour and about 20 Kg, a light tourer at about 14 Kg is much easier to lift.

I find when lifting bikes it isn't so much the weight but the size and shape.  My Airnimal Joey weighs in at around 12kg (Without guards and rack) it's far easier to pick up and move around than my more normal bikes.

True to a certain extent, but the Joey at 12 Kg is probably lighter than nearly all Thorn tourers.

I found weight was important when I was regularly carrying a folded Brompton. As most of my trips involving a lot of carrying were short and in urban areas I got the weight down from about 12 Kg to about 10.5 Kg by:

- getting a Brompton superlight with titanium fork and rear triangle. Downside - expensive
- fitting the lightest possible tyres (Kevlar bead Kojaks). Downsides - fragile, more expensive, more punctures
- getting rid of the hub gear and converting to the 2 speed. Downsides - not suitable for long distances, less reliable than the hub gear.
- using removable battery-powered lighting rather than dynohub and fixed lamps. Very little overall weight saving, but easier to carry because the removable lamps went in the front luggage carried in one hand and therefore reduced the weight of the bike carried by my other hand. Downsides - less reliable and needing to think about recharging.

But 1500 g of saved weight made a very noticeable difference. And, despite the compromises and expense, worth it for me, as I reckoned I had carried a folded Brompton for a total distance of between 70 and 140 kms over the several years I had that particular pattern of use.

PH

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 09:28:57 pm »
I think you're going to have to consider something considerably different to make a significant difference.
Maybe. I reckon it depends on the current weight of the Nomad, if it is like my Raven Tour and about 20 Kg, a light tourer at about 14 Kg is much easier to lift.
I could maybe have written that better, I'd said
With the right kit you could probably get your current bike below 13kg,
It's in relation to that I believe it'd have to be a different sort of bike to be significantly lighter.
But yes, if the current Nomad build is 20kg, then a 13kg bike will be noticeably easier to lift.  But a new 13kg bike won't be any easier than a re-configured 13kg Nomad.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 10:20:10 pm »
50mm tyres -- and don't forget the tubes because at these sizes they too weigh appreciably -- by themselves will make a substantial weight unless you give puncture protection bands, another weight generator, a miss. I was an invalid for a while after heart surgery, and I still can't bend over the bike for long, so I would be loath to give up the protection band in my bike's tyres. You can however make a weight saving on the tubes by choosing Schwalbe's Extraleich semi-racing tubes. The ones I use are for 622mm rims, Schwalbe Type 19A; they've never let me down.

Good luck with getting a bike and fitting-out that suits you.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 11:35:42 pm »

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2021, 12:42:20 am »
After my operation I won't be able to use my nearly new Nomad Mrk2  as it will be too heavy for me to lift on to my van rack & over gates etc . I'll move it on & like to hear recommendations of something lighter for day trips or the odd over night , with Rohloff  & 2" plus tires for comfort . I can't see any weights on the website so perhaps they are all weighty ?

As suggested above, a 650b Mercury would be the obvious choice from the Thorn stable, if you can still get one in your size. Perfect for day trips and occasional overnights. More lively ride than a Nomad when unladen, given the lighter tubing used in the frame. Its a really fun bike.

That's if you want a new bike. As PH observes, the sturdier Nomad frame doesn't appear to add much weight - likely less than 1kg. The rest is in the sturdier components, which could be replaced.

If you're no longer planning big trips, a bike swap sounds like the way to go though. My Mercury 650b is 13.8kg with Brooks seat, dynohub and a 550g Tubus rack.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

in4

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2021, 12:46:07 am »

Just a thought, depends upon your height etc. here's a nice Raven

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0cdcpf0k98jnis3334hfi6ou7&topic=14364.0

Not mine, incidentally.

KDean

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2021, 10:20:22 am »
Thank you very much for all of your constructive comments ..,I actually became ill doing LEJOG 800 miles in (how frustrating ) & using my Ribble off road adventure bike that's considerably lighter( It's a shame it won't take a Rohloff) I found that frustrating enough trying to get it over /through some of the anti motorbike barriers , who ever designed them needs a good talking to.
I'll have a close look at the Mercury Mk3.

PH

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2021, 11:09:06 am »
my Ribble off road adventure bike that's considerably lighter( It's a shame it won't take a Rohloff)
With a Monkybone* and a chain tensioner the Rohloff ought to fit fine.  It isn't as elegant a solution as a purpose made frame, but it isn't as bad as some would have you believe (It's what I use on on the aforementioned Airnimal)
The Mercury is a great bike, as Moronic says the lighter tubing is probably a major contributor to the livelier feel (Compared to a Raven, I haven't owned a Nomad though had a days ride on a derailleur model)  but the difference in frame weight isn't going to make much difference when you lift it.

If you have the time and inclination, strip your Ribble and Nomad down to the frameset and weigh them, that's the maximum saving you're going to achieve if you build them in a similar style. As an estimate, the Mercury is going to be half way between them. Then depending on the Ribble's gearing the Rohloff is going to add 250 - 500g on to that.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between gearing systems wasn't as much as the difference between the current Mercury and Nomad frame weights.  I know it may seem like herasy, particulaly as I've been collecting them for twenty years, but if weight was high on my list of priorities, a Rohloff wouldn't be.

* Possibly, depending on where the disc caliper fitting is, though there are other solutions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 11:11:08 am by PH »

geocycle

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 02:40:01 pm »
Was going to say much the same as PH. I love having a rohloff but it does not lead to lightweight bikes. When you are riding it is possible to forget about it, but when lifting the bike it reminds you like a bad back. The fact it’s concentrated on the back wheel doesn’t help. My RST is about 13kg when stripped of luggage and accessories if I recall correctly. Feels fine to ride but it rarely goes on the wall hangers. My Ti audax is about 10kg, not a huge difference but certainly one you would notice.

KDean

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 05:29:24 pm »

With a Monkybone* and a chain tensioner the Rohloff ought to fit fine. 
thanks I'll look into it . But as the Ribble is designed for complete off road  I can't see myself doing a lot of that moving both on & having a close look at the Mercury may be a good idea.
[/quote]

KDean

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2021, 12:10:38 am »
If changing components to reduce weight what would you use makes etc .