Author Topic: coated gear cables .  (Read 4806 times)

jags

coated gear cables .
« on: June 14, 2015, 07:46:28 pm »
lads anyone using teflon  coated cables with your sti leavers.
reason i ask on my road bike im using  them and they are pure useless, the coating on the cable  Front mech is starting to peel  making the sti leaver  sticky and hard to shift from  inner ring to big ring.
all  new  cables and leavers.  

looks like im gonna be busy changing  new cables  :o

anto
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 08:26:03 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: coated gear cables .
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 12:50:35 am »
lads anyone using teflon  coated cables with your sti leavers.
<nods> Yes, me for the last 15 years or so with my SunTour friction bar-end shifters.

I have found the Teflon did indeed wear off where the cables exited the stops, but was still good inside. I use lined cable housings, so the Teflon proved to be redundant and they feel no smoother than the drawn stainless cables I use on my other bikes.

Back in the Olden Days when Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth, I used greased cables in plain steel housings. In the Early Eighties, I went to SunTour braided derailleur cables, then finally to JH Stroh "Crystal Cable" a lined housing with large-diameter braided cables. These days, it is really hard to beat the die-drawn indexed shifting cables. They're just so smooth, and they don't stretch. Paired with lined housing, they work a treat for ages.

Anto, if your STI levers are working rough, I'd suspect worn linings in the housings before the cables themselves. Has it been awhile since you changed the housings? best bet would be to replace both, methinks.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:30 am »
no all brand spanking new Dan  inner and outer ,the cables are routed inside the frame   the ware is  where it exits the frame ,i managed to clean it to perfection and get some triflow  on the cable i'll leave it for the time being,if it keepssticking over the ditch with it ,
the cable not the bike  ::)

anto

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:05 am »
I had Teflon coated cables on the rohloff changer.  They didn't work as well as the stainless steel ones. I think because they were  fractionally wider so tighter in the housing and also snagged if the coating had any blemishes. No experience with derailleurs.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:57:45 pm »
I had Teflon coated cables on the rohloff changer.  They didn't work as well as the stainless steel ones. I think because they were  fractionally wider so tighter in the housing and also snagged if the coating had any blemishes. No experience with derailleurs.

That might not be the coating but the size. Rohloff takes the thinner cable. I've no experience of the thicker cable, but heard that the thin cable is imperative from a reliable source with several Rohloff installations, Chalo Colina, a machinist and bike mechanic.

jags

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »
dont think thats the problem in my case   all the gear came in the one box so should be the right sizes .
nah totally useless if u ask me ,i shall report back whenever i get roung to changing the cable. ::)

anto.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 04:09:31 pm »
I use one on my foldup bike for the Dual Drive rear hub.  That bike has a long tortuous cable run through full length outer housing that needs a tandem length cable.  The spring in the Dual Drive is pretty weak, thus I need to use every friction fighting tool I can think of.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »
dont think thats the problem in my case   all the gear came in the one box so should be the right sizes .
nah totally useless if u ask me ,i shall report back whenever i get roung to changing the cable. ::)

Wasn't suggesting your cables are the wrong size, Anto. I was talking to Geocycle.

jags

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:03 pm »
i know that Andre  but i checked anyway  ;)

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
Yes, that's an important point Andre.

onrbikes

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »
I recently changed all our cables and sheaths to Goodridge.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/goodridge-gear-cable-kit/rp-prod22234.
Pricey but.

I always found the others a bit rubbery and floppy. They also wore out quickly at points of movement.

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:53:04 pm »
nah never will i use coated cables again no matter the reviews or price,i never once had an issue  with shimano  steel  cables.

anto.

phopwood

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 07:54:00 am »
I always use clarks cables, I know they are cheap and cheerful but they work very well.  The only time I have had any problems is when the exit cut is not prefect and the inner wire is squeezed slightly.

Peter.