Author Topic: Drops and Rohloff  (Read 20481 times)

gunnara

Re: Drops and Rohloff
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 09:41:14 am »
Hello,
maybe it´s too obvious, so no one talks about it, but for those who don't know, there is a new shifter for Rohloff that fits on any dropbar (regular diameter). Norwid also uses them meanwhile but they don´t mention them on their homepage...
Here http://www.mittelmeyer.de/html/produkte.htm is everything about the new shifter.

Bye, Gunnar.
[:)]

bikepacker

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 11:28:56 am »
All the drop bar changers appear to me to be second rate attempts. Isn't it about time a proper usable changer was made to fit 3T morphe drops? As soon as they are available I have every intention of purchasing a Rohloff tourer.

gunnara

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 08:44:47 pm »
dear bikepacker, just have a look at this, http://212.227.38.137/web/aktiv-radfahren/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=812&imgid=1522&subtopic=120&photonr=4 it works and fits on your morph, so you can get one...
even the problem with the brake cable is solved!

cheers, gunnar

Velo Child

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 12:33:59 am »

Hi there
For some time now, I've been considering buying a Van Nicholas Titanium Touring bike with Rohloff Hub gear. Though up until now i have been concerned by the lack of drop bars on any of the rohloff bikes i've looked at. It seems they don't do a Rohloff specific bike with drop bars, and I don't fancy getting into the ingenious adaptations and strategies others have used  in order to accommodate the Twist shifter onto a drop bar bike. Also I would prefer flat bars anyway for touring, as I prefer a posture that allows a better view of surroundings (which is why after all, I am particularly interesting in cycle touring!!). I have been looking for a flat bar/bar end combination that I could tape up which would give me the maximum possible hand positions. I was planning on going for the Ergon GP1 grips with a long L shaped bar end, but wasn't really satisfied. However I need not worry for today I have discovered the answer I seek: http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/external/1/products/highres/te2924.jpg
This is perfect!  It has plenty of places to  fit the shifter, plenty of comfortable hand positions, and I think a shape which would cater for my type of touring. So it seems I have finally found my answer... next question, where to put those brake levers...

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 09:36:36 am »
Hi Velo Child

Welcome to the list,

quote:
...lack of drop bars on any of the rohloff bikes i've looked at.
SJS Cycles can supply both the Raven Tour and the Raven Sport Tour in both  drops or flat configuration.  They have two versions of the frame to accommodate this.  Attentively and with funds permitting I pretty sure they could also deliver an EXP (road) with drops as these are all built to order.

I ride a Sport Tour with drops.  I ride it every day to work and I also ride on the weekends.  The shifter location doesn’t cause ANY problems in use but I admit it doesn’t look as 'sorted' as it might.  If you would normally go for a drop handlebar bike I would think carefully about switch to flats - just because the Rohloff shifter doesn't look pretty on drops.    

quote:
This is perfect! It has plenty of places to fit the shifter
Unfortunately the shifter can only be mounted in one position on this bar (2 if you count the both left and right hand sides)  The shifter will not pass around any bend so it can't be mounted on the forward extensions. I still like the look of the H'bar , the large angle of back sweep on the final portion should make it nearly as comfortable as my drops :-)

Velo Child

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2007, 02:04:58 am »
Hi there, cheers for this informative reply Stutho, I wasn't expecting any response thinking that this thread was dead, but thanks.

And thanks for letting us know about some of the curious facts about the Rohloff shifter, I may consider getting a bike with drops since you've displayed that the two are compatible. However the primary mission of this bike is for expedition, on and off road, so I think some variety of flat bars, or if not entirely "flat," some sort of upright, steady position bars, would be the most ideal.

I have never ridden with drop bars, although I see their significant benefits. Even on my touring road/commuter bike I use bullhorns with an adjustable stem that changes the position from super-speedy aerodynamic accelerator, to leisurely laid back tourer. As the primary aim of my expedition riding is to discover and get the best view of many terrains, I aim to achieve a meercat like stance, which allows for the best all round visibility. However, I envy the range of hand positions that drop bar users have, hence my search for some sort of "best of both worlds" solution.

Titec's H-bar offers a lot of good options, and probably the best i'll get until cycle manufacturers start to consider the less conventional (and less commercially profitable) needs of the touring/expedition cyclist. Incidentally, I was probably gonna place the shifter on the lower part which extend towards the rider from the main handlebar. These sections of the bar would be where my hands would be most of the time, so the shifting should be quite fluent and intuitive. The brake levers I would wrangle round the "bar-end" shaped pieces on the top till the levers were parallel with the stem.

Anyway i've written a bit of a tome on this subject now, which is slightly off topic, so i'll leave you guys to it. I'm off to another forum to debate the pros and cons, and problematic compatibility issues of the H-bar!!  [8D]

Velo Child

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 01:54:41 am »
Originally posted by Velo Child

until cycle manufacturers start to consider the less conventional (and less commercially profitable) needs of the touring/expedition cyclist.

post script; This generalisation refers to brands such as Specialized, Cannondale, et al, who still don't have anything approaching a convincing tourer, yet alone expedition bike, in their huge range of Road and MTB platforms; The "less conventional" are those cyclists -they do exist- who aren't obsessed with speed, adrenaline, lap times, and shaving body hair to improve efficiency. -From reading the informative and inspiring Thorn website, and looking at their products, I can say that they were not one of the manufacturers that I was referring to in the generalisation. In this day and age of throwaway £2500 bikes and disappearing rack fittings, they are truly refreshing. And if I wasn't intent on buying a titanium frame, I would be purchasing one of their, large range of, quality touring and expedition bikes.