Author Topic: Another Sherpa  (Read 4535 times)

paulsc

Another Sherpa
« on: November 01, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »
Here are a couple photos of mine along the Kettle Valley Railway in BC.  The first with Christina Lake in the background, the second with Okanogan Lake.   The bike did great and even when the trail got rough, I didn't miss having suspension.  I also need to make a recommendation for the Marathon Extremes.  They roll well both on and off the trail and really endured a lot of abuse. 

bobs

Re: Another Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:57:00 pm »
Another great looking Sherpa, great photo's.

Bob

mikerr

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:58 pm »

Nice to see a well kitted out Sherpa at work.

Mike

julk

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:08 pm »
Nice photos.
What seatpin is that?
Julian.

paulsc

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »
Its an FSA SL-220 w/ 35mm of setback.  No longer made unfortunately but they do show up on ebay from time to time.

lmarcini

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:59:53 am »
Very nice bike ! What about the size and model frame ? Is it a 610XL ?

Laurent.

freddered

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 10:37:15 am »
Nice bike, nice photos.

I assume you are 7 feet tall.

paulsc

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:50:06 pm »
Sorry, only 6'05".  It is a 610S.  Sometimes I wonder if I should have purchased the slightly longer TT on the 585L but if I can do 10 hours on it w/ no pain whatsoever, it must be close enough.  I am probably just looking for a reason to build another bike. 

I love the fact that Thorn gives us TT lenght options.  Makes way too much sense.

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »
I'm just back from 3 weeks in Catalunya on my new Sherpa frame, same size 610S, I had the same uncertainties about frame size between the 585L and 610S but am happy I went for the 610S, it is a better size for a taller rider (I'm 6'2"), and the top tube length difference is minimal when you take into account the different seat tube angle. Top tubes differ by 15mm, seat tube angles differ by 1 degree, so on the 585L the top of the seatpost will be about 10mm further behind the bottom bracket, so for the same seat to pedal relationship your saddle would have to be 10mm further forward in the clamp leaving just about 5mm effective difference in top tube, which is pretty minor and can be accommodated by stem length.
Hope that makes sense, not sure I've described that too well!
Here's a photo of my Sherpa, haven't had time to cut down the steerer tube yet, had to order the frame a week before going on holiday due to the old bike giving up the ghost at short notice! Thanks to Andy etc at SJSC for the quick service in getting me the new frame ASAP.

lmarcini

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:21 pm »
Good thing to see pictures with 610S ! I'm 6"1' and I'll buy one for Christmas... I love these 610S with dropbars (there are a very few touring bikes with dropbars in France)...

Laurent.

PS : what is the model of yours bottles cages, paulsc ?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:42:17 pm by lmarcini »

paulsc

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:53:14 am »
Rualexander,
Nice analysis on the top tube length/reach and it does make sense. 

Only thing the 585l might have helped w/ is a little more set back on the saddle due to the slacker angle.  In my case about 10+mm.  My seat post does have a lot of set back w/ 35mm but it is no longer made.  Another cm would mean I could use a seat post w/ 25 mm of  setback which is a lot more common.  And also, since the HT angle and the ST angel are different 73 and 72 respectively, the reach would be greater the higher the saddle and bars are since the HT and ST would not stay parallel to each other but move further apart as compared to the 620s where both angles are 73 degrees.  Does that makes sense? 

Lmarcini,
The large cages were made by Blackburn.  They are great and accept almost any 1.5 litre store bought  water bottle.  Once the bottle gets a little funky, recycle and buy a new one.  The one on the underside of the downtube was made by Schwinn and accepts a 1 litre Nalgene bottle.  I am guessing they discontinued this cage because it is not very sturdy and a few owners probably lost their bottles or worse.  It works great to carry my empty Bota water filter however.  If you like the large Blackburn and live in the states, I might be able to find some NOS if you are interested.