Author Topic: what next for Thorn?  (Read 4803 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: what next for Thorn?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 08:22:38 am »
Nice to know a Brompton'off is possible and being done, and nice to know there might be completion delays as can sometimes happen with custom work.

Truth told, I'm done buying bikes for a good long while, and now just want to enjoy the ones I have or finish building some in progress. I need to finish brazing the last couple cable guides on my own self-built full-sus small-wheeled derailleur Folder and then paint it, but I have been too busy enjoying my Nomad!
Dan.

Now Dan... You yourself would be the first to admit: You can NEVER have too many bikes (although you can certainly have the wrong ones, and I often have too little shed space, and not enough money  ;D). This is our exquisite obsession!

The Kinetics site has confirmed one thing for me, though - For my next short duration OS tour, unless the transport legs are 30 days apart or more, I will seriously contemplate a folder instead of taking the Nomad. Not sure which one. Ben's got a Birdy'off on his site, as well. Might just settle for a derailleur Brompton, which many people have successfully used on round the world trips.

Added bonus: More room in the shed!  :D

Our next few tours will be Oz-based - planning a pilgrimage to Victoria's rail trails and high country (il padrone country, and certainly my inspiration), riding coastal from Newcastle. Now to find the holiday time...

Sam (Apologies for the OT sentiments...)

Lemming

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »
Slightly late to reply, but just to show that Bromptons can go anywhere:

Mine is a Steve Perry conversion, he has stopped putting Rohloffs in, so it has a Sturmey Archer 8 speed hub and a double chainring (so I can get up hills!).

Having a bike that can fold and be disguised makes things a lot easier on public transport:

[Fixed image tag so it would display. -- Dan]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:59:54 pm by Lemming »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »
Wow~!  :o :o :o

Best,

Dan.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:43:53 am »
Slightly late to reply, but just to show that Bromptons can go anywhere:
<snip>
<snip>
Mine is a Steve Perry conversion, he has stopped putting Rohloffs in, so it has a Sturmey Archer 8 speed hub and a double chainring (so I can get up hills!).

Having a bike that can fold and be disguised makes things a lot easier on public transport:
<snip>

Amen, brother! I'm developing a serious Brompton lust... To me, it's as intriguing as... A Tardis!!!  :D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »
Hi All!

It just so happens Thorn's sister company (SJS Cycles) is a Brompton stockist. Sales at the Bridgwater store only, but every conceivable color listed and shown here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-folding-bikes-dept396_pg1/?geoc=us

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »

Amen, brother! I'm developing a serious Brompton lust... To me, it's as intriguing as... A Tardis!!!  :D ;D

Brilliant bit of engineering, but definitely one to try before you buy. I tried and really couldn't get used to the ride.  I bought a dahon mu instead. The fold is not so good but I much preferred the feel of the bike.