Author Topic: My first problem and its solution. Short gear cable.  (Read 2270 times)

gearoidmuar

My first problem and its solution. Short gear cable.
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:44:37 pm »
Got rear slow puncture on my new bike.
Took off rear wheel (with Rohloff). Dead easy.
Putting it back on easy until I tried to reconnect the second connector. I couldn't as I couldn't get them to meet sufficiently. The cable stops were all correct but I had could not do it. The tension adjusters were fully screwed in (that's how the bike came) so no slack was possible there.
Rang Thorn. Advised to try letting out the cable connector on the cable if possible. Not. No spare cable in it.
I then took out the wire and cut a new one 1cm longer and replaced it. Not easy as I had to work out that to get the cable to run round you must remove both cable stops from the changer, get the wire to run out the other one, put it in on the other side and get it to run the rest of the route. You cannot get the wire around except by removing BOTH cable stops from the changer.
I still actually found it very difficult to connect one of the connectors. It took huge force and I have an injured thumb due to a non-united fracture I got 9 months ago. I may get a couple of spare connectors as I think that this one is a rogue.
Anyway all's well and I've already learnt one of the necessary techniques. I then cut a spare wire the new length to carry with me at all times. You'd never know when I might need it.

geocycle

Re: My first problem and its solution. Short gear cable.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:29 am »
Hi,
I got my first puncture on my first tour (dark forest in the rain, end of a long day...) and had exactly the same experience as you.  Fortunately I managed to use a notch on my metal tyre lever to drag the bayonets together (after also first injuring my thumb).  I connected one side then wound the shifter round to get as much cable through as possible. I have never had a problem since as the cables must have stretched enough to make it easy by hand.  Curiously I have also never needed to tighten the cables with the adjusters, which suggests it might have been better to have set them with some adjustment in the first place.

Glad you managed to change your cables OK.

PH

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:38:02 pm »
I also had the same problem, not impossible to rejoin but to hard for comfort.  I'd already lowered the bars a bit so simply shortened the outers.

avdave

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:39:15 pm »
My experience is that you need to shift into 1 or 14  before removing the wheel and then reconnect in the right order which without going out to the garage I can't remember. If you have 1 reconnected and can't connect the second then disconnect the first and try the second first. I'm not sure that makes sense but it's worked for me.