Author Topic: Multi use bike required...Thorn?  (Read 2514 times)

dombat

Multi use bike required...Thorn?
« on: December 02, 2004, 10:31:08 pm »
I commute by bike (only 15 miles round trip) but also go off road (mostly grit tracks or mud, nothing really serious). I also plan to start doing some bike touring holidays here and abroad. I'm not very good with drop handle bars either (I've always had MTBs!!!!)

Do you think the new "Thorn Raven Catalyst" is a good bet as it seems to cater for all of my requirements or are normal "tour" bikes tough too?

Will the Catalyst ever be available in the nice silvery/blue colour that the Enduro can come with?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 10:32:13 pm by dombat »

Ratty

Re: Multi use bike required...Thorn?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:20:48 am »
Normal touring bikes are usually very tough.  Tough enough for your needs by the sounds of it.

Have a look at the raven Adventure sport which comes with flat bars as standard.  I think it will cover all your needs

dombat

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 05:47:14 pm »
Yeah, I saw a "mini review" of the adventure tour in a magazine quite recently which was very favourable. I'm just concerned that i'll always be worring that i'll break it if the going gets too rough. I'm quite heavy (100Kg) but my light weight aluminium MTB hasn't broken yet so it's unlikely i'll break steel!

ahconway

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 03:22:04 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by dombat

Yeah, I saw a "mini review" of the adventure tour in a magazine quite recently which was very favourable. I'm just concerned that i'll always be worring that i'll break it if the going gets too rough. I'm quite heavy (100Kg) but my light weight aluminium MTB hasn't broken yet so it's unlikely i'll break steel!

I'm the proud owner of a new Raven Adventure Tour... I'm really happy with it so far - it seems really bombproof, and it's very comfortable on all sorts of paved or unpaved tracks. The reviews I've read are all pretty good, but most approach it from a typical MTB or road bike perspective - and the Raven doesn't fit into either of those camps. Instead, it's the best of all worlds and the only way you could be disappointed is if you were looking for a 21-lb racer!