Author Topic: carrying cash on tour  (Read 5009 times)

jags

carrying cash on tour
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »
what would you folks reckon is the best means of carrying cash for your touring holiday.
do you carry in in a wallet ,body pouch .bottom of pannier.
oviously im going to need cash at easy reach for everyday use ,but what do i do with the bulk of it.

julk

Re: carrying cash on tour
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:01:01 pm »
If I am touring with some sons, I split the cash between us all. Less chance of us all losing it and caters for someone getting separated.

I carry mine in a wallet/purse which I keep in a very small bar bag, transferred to a zipped jacket or shorts pocket when leaving the bike.

I have seen it recommended to keep the bulk of it in with your dirty washing at the bottom of a pannier!

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:24:51 pm »
I recommend spreading it around - some in your normal wallet, some in an 'under you shirt' style money belt, some in a 'normal belt' style money belt if you are carrying normal trousers in your luggage, I've even had some sealed in plastic and wrapped in gaffer tape under the insole of my shoe a couple of times, and also stuffed up inside my bike seatpost. As you spend whats in your wallet you replace it out of the reserves maybe once a week or so.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:49:59 am »
+1 for spreading it around - I also try to separate out any Credit / Debit cards.  A $100 note folded and placed under you insole is a good emergency backup

jags

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:46:47 am »
thank's everyone ,i don't use credit card's ,im an old fashion dude :D.i will have to use some of those idea's ,i don't think it would be a good idea to have all my money in the one spot,i could end up lost and hungry in france >:(

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »
Jags, I've always kept money in the same place in my wallet either in a v secure pocket (usually my cycle shorts) or in the handlebar bag which of course should always be removed if your not on your bike.

In all the cycle touring (10 tours in UK, Spain, France, Cuba) I've ever done I've never felt threatened in terms of safety.  If you make not losing your wallet one of the primary objectives of your trip (which I do), it's a near certainty you won't lose it.  Unless you plan cycling around major cities at night time, you are more likely to have your hotel room broken into, your bike or stuff nicked from your tent, none of which I've had the misfortune to experience.  If you happen to be wandering dodgy city districts at night, then probably it probably is worth stashing some in your shoe but there's absolutely nothing to worry about in the towns and countryside of France. 

If you're completely adverse to using cash machines (they all display english instructions when you insert your card, average exchange rate, take standard precautions, unlikely to be tampered with in rural non-tourist areas) why not travellers cheques?  If you do lose your wallet, at least you'll have a receipt to make a claim and get a fast cash replacement which is the whole point of them! 

Out of interest, have you decided where you're going? 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:48:30 pm by Fred A-M »

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »
hi fred a-m, well i don't want to loose my hard earned cash ,but i want to keep it hidden as simple as possible.i think   i'll proberly  keep it all,( bar maby a couple hundred stached elsewhere,) in my wallet and barbag.im heading to france in june  for three week's, camping all the way .
we are doing 100 km a day , so early starts gives us plenty of free time in the evening to explore the area we end up in ,so  it's possible we could be away from our tents for 2 or3 hours in the evening time.
thats really why i asked the question ,should i leave some cash in the tent or take it all with me.
im not overly worried ,just you more experienced guy's might have a better plan.

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 01:46:14 pm »
Sounds like quite an adventure....have to admit to being envious, I simply no longer have the time for such long tours though assuming I can get myself into shape, I'm planning a 10 day tour of the Tarn (France) in early July.

Have you any idea of your route yet?  Presumably you'll be starting in Britanny if you're getting a ferry from Ireland?

jags

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »
hi fred a-m, yes im looking forward to it,this is my first tour ,what a way to start .it's taking me nearly 18 months to get together all the gear and bike,i have enough gear  to tour the planet :D
yes heading by ferry to roscoff ,keeping along the coast down as far as la rochelle ,then inland to noirt ,back up to roscoff.im going with two other lads there pretty experience tourers ,so i 'll stick to them like glue.with a bit of luck the sun will shine for three good week's of cycling.they have the full route planned to the last detail ,but im hopeing we get lost somewhere along the route ,should add some fun to the tour. ;D

Fred A-M

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »
Jags, the Britanny peninsula should certainly provide you with many rewarding vistas which amongst which you'll definitely feel at home as part of the Celtic fringe, one of the more depopulated areas of France, gradually becoming progressively more touristy as you head south.   Try and make sure you get sufficiently detailed maps to stay off the main roads where possible - it will really enhance your tour experience.

Don't rely on the weather being good however.  I made the mistake of doing a shortish tour of Britanny in early June two years ago without proper clothing - no leg warmers, just shorts and a rain jacket on top of standard cycling jerseys.  I was cold and wet throughout, my abiding memory being cycling between Carnac and Vannes (definitely recommend a good look around at both)  in gale conditions which culminated in deaths along the coastline that day - I was lucky enough to escape with severely windburnt lips!  Make sure you take at least a good waterproof, a body warmer and some leggings.

PS Travel as light as you can - it will also make a considerable difference as Britanny is far from being flat.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:17:04 pm by Fred A-M »

jags

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 11:54:30 pm »
fred a-m, thanks a million for that,i did wonder about what cloths to take,
 im a lot wiser now thank's,as far as keeping things as light as pos,
i have i think the same set up as yourself ,rear ortlieb bikepacker panniers and barbag,thats it.
i think im going to be carrying about 36 pounds in weight ,how does that sound.i really can't cut back on anything, might even be skimping on that.
thanks for all that info fred great help. ;)

Fred A-M

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 07:07:54 pm »
No worries Jags, glad to be of help.  Weightwise, sounds about right to me, assuming that includes camping gear.  Look forward to hearing about your tour experiences.

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 04:54:16 pm »
yes fred that includes everything camping gear and a lightweight stool.
not great at sitting with my legs under me.