Author Topic: Vik's Nomad S&S  (Read 47875 times)

Fred A-M

Re: Vik's Nomad S&S
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 12:39:05 am »
The ego has landed  :D

vik

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2009, 03:27:37 pm »
The ego has landed  :D

Ya - what was I thinking Fred????   ???  Posting photos about building and riding a Thorn bike on the Thorn Cycling Forum...I do have a nerve don't I?

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

vik

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 03:43:43 pm »
something I've just noticed is that the rohloff gear change is on a seperate post/bar to the handlebar. Is this standard for a rohloff? if not how do you find it in comparison to everything being on the one bar?

I assume mounting the shifter off the bars is less common with a Rohloff than placing them on the bars themselves.  I placed it on a separate Thorn accessory bar because the bike was initially built up with drop bars and I wanted try something other than the Hubbub drop bar adapter or a split drop bar. 

I then changed over to a Titec H-bar.  You can mount the Rohloff shifter on the H-bar directly...I have this setup on my Surly Big Dummy - shown above.  It works well, but doesn't leave much room on the bars for the grip so I had to hack down an Ergon grip to fit. During a tour last summer I had a nerve injury in my left hand which was partially due to not removing my left hand from the bar much [I'm right handed].  I figure by mounting the Rohloff shifter on the left side of an accessory bar I have to remove my hand from the bar frequently to shift which will keep blood flowing to my left hand and prevent another similar injury [I also improved my bar padding/grip to spread out the bar pressure]. 

So far the accessory bar mounted shifter has worked well.  It is fairly easy to grasp and change gears.  Having said that it is not as easy as if the shifter was on the bars - particularly if the road is rough or you are going over obstacles as you have to remove your left hand from the bars. 

I don't shift uber frequently on tour so this doesn't bother me a great deal.  I'm happy to change cadence [within reason] to change bike speed and on a tour you don't need to change gears as often as you do in town [where I've been riding my Nomad recently].

I'll keep the shifter where it is for a while and continue to evaluate it.  If I want easier access I may try it on the left side of the Titec H-bar.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:56:58 pm by vik »
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Fred A-M

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »
Ya - what was I thinking Fred????   ???  Posting photos about building and riding a Thorn bike on the Thorn Cycling Forum...I do have a nerve don't I?

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Just humour Vik, just humour.

That's a mighty fine kite you have there!  ::)

vik

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2009, 11:34:38 pm »
Just humour Vik, just humour.

That's a mighty fine kite you have there!  ::)

I was joking as well...wasn't it obvious??.... ;)

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jags

« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:38 pm »
vik any more photo's comming up you've been quiet lately.

vik

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2009, 02:39:43 am »
vik any more photo's comming up you've been quiet lately.

Hola!  Sorry nothing new to post at this time.  My Nomad riding has been strictly utilitarian this summer so not much to post about.  Now that things are slowing down again I hope to get some Berthoud stainless fenders mounted [I need to DIY some brackets] and I'm going to rework the Titec H-bars on this bike.  I'll move the Rohloff shifter onto the bar itself rather than using an accessory bar....didn't love taking my hands off the bar to shift everytime.  I'll also add some Ergon grips to the bar as I found the double wrapped cork tape wasn't comfy enough after 2-3hrs on the bike.

When I get done I'll post some photos...

In the meantime I did have a bike touring adventure this summer - although I must warn you there is no Thorn content.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikapproved/sets/72157620470407905/

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/?s=cdn+gdr

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

ians

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2009, 09:35:04 am »
great photos as ever, Vik.

ians

vik

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 03:59:22 am »

Another pedestrian Nomad ride.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:27 am »
Vik,
Great bike, great photos, interesting frame bag - where is that from?
Julian.

vik

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2009, 02:14:18 pm »
Vik,
Great bike, great photos, interesting frame bag - where is that from?
Julian.

The red bag is an old frame pack I had laying around.  Works well on bikes with bigger frames. 

They still sell something similar:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441775829&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693353&bmUID=1242663911581

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

It's handy for tools, a small lock and a camera, but it takes up one water bottle spot.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Cake

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2009, 04:44:49 pm »
Lovely pics of a lovely machine Vik.  I've never thought about taking a 4.6% alcoholic beverage with me on a ride, i usually take water.  Mmmmmmm beeeeer

I think i should have expected something a little different from you by now though.....!

john28july

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »
Vik,
You just have too much cash.
John.................. ::) ;D :-* ???

vik

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:44 pm »
I've never thought about taking a 4.6% alcoholic beverage with me on a ride, i usually take water.  Mmmmmmm beeeeer

We have conclusively proven that beer is a sports drink.  I've run extended clinical trials in Mexico.... ;D

Vik,
You just have too much cash.
John.................. ::) ;D :-* ???

Why? Because I'm drinking imported beer?... :o

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jags

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:49 pm »
thank's vik for the link fantastic photos you and your buddy looked like you had a blast,my god what a country to ride a bike beautiful.
what satnav was that you had ,the bike especally the wheels and tyres are something else are they heavy  /expensive.how long did  you spend off road on that tour man it looked really hard going don't think i would be strong enough to tackle something like that.
anyway thanks again vik .
cheers
jags