Author Topic: your sherpa upgrades.  (Read 4580 times)

jags

your sherpa upgrades.
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
Just wondering has any sherpa owners made any changes to there bike since they bought it.
i certainly want to change stuff when funds allow like new carbon fork i never use front panniers.
also much lighter wheels./tires.if you have changes for the better please share thanks.

just trying to match up wheels on the sjs website  not for the life of me can i find a matching pair.
i was kinda hoping to go for ceramic rims but wow the price , so i then looked at mavic 721 black rims 32 hole on deore hubs. but cant find  matching wheel :-[
anyway what do you lads think of those wheels are they worth buying or should i hold out and go for the ceramic mavic or dt swiss ;) 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:47:04 pm by jags »

Relayer

Re: your sherpa upgrades.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
so i then looked at mavic 721 black rims 32 hole on deore hubs. but cant find  matching wheel :-[

jags, wheelset at SJSC you were looking for here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/26-(559)-wheelset-36h-mavic-ex721-rims-with-shimano-deore-m590-hubs-in-black-prod17828/

full range of wheelsets here

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wheelsets-dept698_pg1/

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »
Relayer thanks for that totally useless on computers.. :-[
what do you think of that choice  good/ bad/ better out there.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:49 pm »
Jags,

I can't load the Thorn Forums at home due to a network problem, so I'm talking to you from the nearest the McDonald's while I'm on the road...  ;)

You and I have discussed wheels in the past, but here's a thought to confirm if you're heading in the right direction before spending more money:  How 'bout buying the lightest tires possible, and giving them a try to see if they make the handling any more lively?

If you notice any positive difference, it will mean you're headed in the right direction.

If you don't...then it it would be worth reconsidering and we can help you think of another direction to go.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
Thanks Dan be carefull with that mc donalds food ;D ;D

to be honest i really want to get a much lighter set of wheels and lighter narrower tyres.
cleaning my  sherpa the other day i had both wheels off the bike  and they weigh a ton.
i have put my road bike up for sale on  Donedeal.ie if i sell it, i'm gonna buy  top end wheels and carbon fork.all my touring is on smooth roads seldom if ever i go off road, besides if i ever want to go off road touring i can always  use the orignal fork and wheels. ;)
but for now if i get a sale on the look kx bike the sherpa is in for a face lift.
btw Dan i have tried loads of different tyres some i loved some i hate i'm now thinking of going slicks maybe city jets ;)
so come on dan boy give me your best  choice of wheels no holes barred ;D ;D

Relayer

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:02 am »
You and I have discussed wheels in the past, but here's a thought to confirm if you're heading in the right direction before spending more money:  How 'bout buying the lightest tires possible, and giving them a try to see if they make the handling any more lively?

If you notice any positive difference, it will mean you're headed in the right direction.

If you don't...then it it would be worth reconsidering and we can help you think of another direction to go.

jags

I have to agree with Dan's advice here.

The wheelset above is excellent and I would be delighted with those wheels.  

While I have never ridden a Sherpa, I am sure it is a very versatile utilitarian bicycle loaded or unloaded and yours is a very fine example.  Personally, I find skinny tyres on 26" wheels on frames with big clearances for wide tyres looks kinda gawky ... but if 'function over form' is your mantra then you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Good lightweight wheels, carbon fork, and narrow slick tyres come at a cost, perhaps a second hand Club Tour or Audax Mk3 could be an option for you?  Let you keep your fine looking Sherpa as it is if you ever want to carry a heavier load. Just a thought ...

Regards.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:17:23 am by Relayer »

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »
thanks jim but to be honest i really dont want to go buying another bike second hand or new.
if i get my look bike sold i'll most defitnly go with new wheels/tyres/fork.
i like the way the sherpa handles with a load so solid and if i can get her to climb that faster i'll be a happy camper. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »
jags,

[I'm back! As it happens, my ISP -- the largest in the country -- was blocking the Thorn domain nationwide, resulting in my outage. I got their blockage reversed, thankfully.]

Back to your Sherpa and wheel dilemma; if you don't mind, I'll think out loud here and maybe we can see where you are and figure out the best way to get you where you want to go....

jags, I understand your dilemma. You're thrilled with your Sherpa and how it rides and handles a load, but wish it had more lively handling and climbing characteristics like your other road bikes. This is a reasonable desire, and something that many of us have faced in trying to make a single primary bike serve a broad range of uses. The ideal would certainly be a bike for each purpose but whole entire bicycles cost a lot. I actually think you're going about it in a better way by trying to make a heavy-duty bike "ride lighter" rather than making a light bike into an occasional heavy-tourer. The latter just doesn't work very well and can be a nightmare when loaded with more than minimum gear.

That said, I don't think the Sherpa will ever perform exactly like a dedicated road bike. In corresponding with you, I understand you realize that too, and will be happy with a heavier-duty all-'rounder that is more lively. The Sherpa may come a bit closer to what you want with lighter wheels and tires, and is worth a try, I suppose. The lighter wheels should make the bike feel more lively while the fork will simply make it lighter and (hopefully) absorb a bit more of the increased vibration you'll get with the skinner, higher-pressure tires. I just don't want you to invest a lot and then feel disappointment if it doesn't meet expectations, so that's why I suggested first trying the lightweight tire-and-tube approach first. If that make a positive difference, then you're definitely on the right track and can just swap the tires onto the new wheels. Otherwise, as Jim said, the money spent on wheels and fork could go a ways toward a second-hand bike better suited to your roadie needs -- but you want to hang onto the Sherpa.

With those preliminaries and cautions out of the way, given the way you have your lovely Sherpa already equipped with a largely road-bike orientation, may I support you by suggesting a good set of lightweight cross-country wheels? Perhaps something like Thorn offer optionally for the Sherpa -- a nice set of DT Swiss XR 425 rims, with 14/15g Sapim, DT, or Wheelsmith spokes. For the minor weight difference, I believe I would go with 36 hole rims and hubs, but you may prefer 32 if weight is a big concern. If you're serious about making the package as light as possible, then I would suggest not getting a Schmidt dynohub (they're wonderful, but heavy) and going with something like a nice set of Shimano XT, Hope, or Phil Wood hubs. If you decide you want to power gadgets and have great lighting, then the Schmidt dynohub is a nice way to go, though Shimano make a nice dynohub as well. If you go with a set of wheels like I mentioned above, they could be easily resold if they don't work out. Meanwhile, you'll still have the old kit in case you wish to take a loaded tour. If it works, you've got a more versatile bike. If it doesn't...well, you'll have given it a try and will know more. I just wish there was a way for you to borrow a set of lightweight wheels to try for one ride first. I think that would tell you right away if this is the route you'd like to go. Is there a possibility of borrowing some from a LBS with the offer of renting them or buying a pint or perhaps a round for the shop lads? They might go for it if you also committed to buying the wheels from them if the trial gave a good result.

I'm happy to talk more with you about this, jags. It is an intriguing experiment, and will be fun to see how it comes out in the end. I've enjoyed the discussion and learning more about what you want. Hopefully, you'll have the happy result you're seeking. I hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:07:09 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:14 pm »
thanks again Dan sorry for the late reply but my daughter went into labour today and this minute she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl happy days ;)

ah the sherpa to be honest i'm the kind of guy that money burns a hole in my pocket i dont drink or smoke so any few extra bob i have usually is spent on bikes /parts and camping gear.
as i said before if i dont get to sell my look bike none of these changes will happen until i'm flush again.
yeah the sherpa is great but i reckon with the changes i want to make it will be even better  there are a few lads here in town rst owners i introduced them to thorn bikes ;) but there on rohloff wheels  ceramic rims  so i cant test them on my bike.
as a matter of fact one of the lads does a lot of touring in france on his rst his tyres are schwalble kojacks never any problems ...ooops theres goes my phone thanks i hear what your saying buddy ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:50 am »
my daughter went into labour today and this minute she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl
Stop press; this takes precedence over everything!

jags, all congratulations to you as grandfather and to the brand-new mother and her mate -- what terrific news!!!

When things cool down a bit and you want to discuss bike and wheels and such, just give a shout. Meanwhile, take care of the Really Important stuff...like celebrating the New Arrival and being there for your daughter.
i dont drink or smoke so any few extra bob i have usually is spent on bikes /parts and camping gear.
Same here; sounds like a healthy pursuit to me!  ;)

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:09:25 am by Danneaux »

janeh

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:08:34 am »
Hello,

There has been a lot of references to lads on this forum. I'd just like to point out that girls have Sherpa's too! I bought mine a few years ago as I was looking for a bike with drop handlebars but with a shortish reach as my nice Dawes Horizon was too long for me. I do like the bike but I often have this niggling feeling that it is a bit too heavy or sluggish feeling, but it is obsolutely brilliant for caarrying loads. The niggles led me to get new wheels (mavic xc 717 rims and one xt hub and one deore - just what Edinburgh bikes had in stock at the time), but since then it has stayed the same - except brakes upgraded to v brakes which are brilliant.

Despite the niggles I think it will stay as my one bike (I am not allowed any more!) for a good while.

Anyway, bye for now,

Jane

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »
I'd just like to point out that girls have Sherpa's too!
Hi Jane!

Delightful to hear from you, and welcome...though I realize you've been around awhile! With a Male/Female ratio on the list of 29:1, we don't hear from you enough. Christine in Central New York has her new yellow Nomad, and you have your Sherpa. By any chance, might we see some photos of your Sherpa in the gallery? It sounds wonderful from the description, and you already have something in common with jags, who is looking to make his own Sherpa feel a bit more lively with lighter wheels.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:22:04 pm »
hi jane yeah post a few pics if you can. when funds allow new wheels are top of my list and after that a nice light carbon fork and the a lovely set of slick tyres and all will be happy in my camp ;)

bty Dan i took photos of our group this morning  man it was is like a summers day here in ireland 17 deg ;D happy days. i'll try and post them but dont hold your breath ;)

Relayer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 05:31:31 pm »
Welcome Jane, the more lasses the merrier!   ;D