Author Topic: Teenager's Bike  (Read 1877 times)

Fred A-M

Teenager's Bike
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me out by way of recommendation?

I'm looking to get my step-son (12 years) a 2nd hand bike that would be good for both general purpose use but could also be used as a taster for cycle-touring, so able to take panniers.

Looking at the budget end initially (given that he'll certainly outgrow it within 2-3 years) but am only too aware that you generally only get what you pay for and I want his cycling experiences to positive rather than hindered by something that's not up to the job, so am open to suggestions from all points of the price spectrum.

Cheers

Fred

julk

Re: Teenager's Bike
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:51:06 pm »
Where are you located Fred? I am in Dalkeith, nr Edinburgh.

I have an old Marin mountain bike which would suit someone that age, it has been used for touring.

An old steel mountain bike is an excellent cheap way to start some one touring.
Julian.

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »
Hi Julian

Am in London but thanks for the offer all the same.

Was thinking possibly of a hybrid, but am open to all suggestions if anyone has any futher ideas? 

Cheers

Fred 

kwkirby01

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:14:19 pm »
Worth looking out for a second hand Islabike (either a Luath 700/26 or Beinn 26 depending on size and preferred size). You'll pay more up front, but will recoup it when you come to sell. Most importantly, these bikes are very well designed and put together so your step-son should get a positive experience.

This is my second post recommending Islabikes this afternoon... I've no connection with the company; simply a very happy customer of at least six Islabikes to date (some new, some used, all good value).

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow