Author Topic: rohloff shifter cable change  (Read 1922 times)

jcabuckley

rohloff shifter cable change
« on: July 06, 2007, 05:26:31 pm »
hi guys, thanks to all of you for your help with the last problem, now heres number 2! i've just bought the replacement bayonet connectors for the twist shifters and i've watched the video on how to change them, now here's the question......

it all looked fairly straightforward, my only concern is i dont have the measuring tool, is there a rule of thumb for this? can someone give me a pointer and give me a heads-up to watch out for any potential disasters!

thanks again,

jonathan

PH

Re: rohloff shifter cable change
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:48:54 am »
Now I'm confused[B)]
Which part of the bayonet fitting are you replacing?
Which cables do you need to change?
Both of them are pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions.  The measuring tool is for the hub end cables, I've changed them without, the required length is in the handbook, just measure twice to be sure.
The cables don't have to be mm perfect, there's a fair bit of leeway in the adjusting screws.  If you cut the existing cable right up to the bayonet you'll probably get away without replacing them.

jcabuckley

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 09:49:01 am »
hi ph,

the top part (female fitting) and the cables which run from the shifter into the bayonet. i'm afraid i dont have the handbook, is it available online? thnaks for the reply! kind regards, jonathan

PH

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 02:00:58 pm »
That's why I was confused, there are no measuring tools for the top part.  The fitting instructions can be downloaded here.
http://www.rohloff.de/en/download/description/index.html  (under mounting)
I'd be surprised if you needed to replace the cables, just cut and re-attach the new fittings, should be OK and defiantly worth a try.

I'm surprised you didn't get a handbook with your bike, I thought they all came with one.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 02:02:07 pm by PH »

jcabuckley

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:47:35 pm »
hi again,

thanks for that. ill have a play, my cables are in pretty bad shape so i will need to replace them. i never received the handbook because the bike was second-hand. thanks again 4 the help, will let you know how i get on. cheers JB