Author Topic: s & s couplings  (Read 2033 times)

Bill

s & s couplings
« on: July 03, 2007, 06:25:06 am »
I rode the Raven Nomad on what is considered an easy/intermediate mountain bike route, the Elbow Loop, which is 43 km and about 600m of elevation on an old exploration road -parts of it are quite steep and very rocky, some minor creek crossings.

As I reached the 18km point, I realized the S&S couplings were vibrating loose. I didn't have the wrench, but I managed to hand tighten them, and I checked them after about every kilometer especially after rough down hill stretches.

Well I guess they were never meant for mountain biking. Always carry the wrench!

On the other hand, the Rohloff hub was superb for quick gear changes. I'm spoiled now.

http://www.powderface.ca/Trails/elbow/elbow.htm

jcabuckley

Re: s & s couplings
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:02:11 am »
I must admit i would have thought the S&S would've coped better!

bike_the_planet

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 12:56:26 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

I rode the Raven Nomad on what is considered an easy/intermediate mountain bike route, the Elbow Loop, which is 43 km and about 600m of elevation on an old exploration road -parts of it are quite steep and very rocky, some minor creek crossings.

As I reached the 18km point, I realized the S&S couplings were vibrating loose. I didn't have the wrench, but I managed to hand tighten them, and I checked them after about every kilometer especially after rough down hill stretches.

Well I guess they were never meant for mountain biking. Always carry the wrench!

On the other hand, the Rohloff hub was superb for quick gear changes. I'm spoiled now.

http://www.powderface.ca/Trails/elbow/elbow.htm

I have had several bikes fitted with these. Whilst none were full-on mountain bikes, I have rough-stuffed on several with no problems at all.

My suggestions are:

1) Make sure that they are well greased
2) Make sure they are properly tightened up to the required Nm torque. If in doubt tighten them as much as you can with the wrench provided.
3) The wrench weighs about 6oz. Always carry it!

As a matter of course, I always re-torque them once a week, and check they are not loose before each ride.

Cheers

Bill

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:24:00 am »
good advice btp

I did check them that morning, but neglected to take the wrench.
what do you use for grease?

neil_p

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:12:08 am »
SJS Cycles sell the only grease that S&S recommend "Du Pont Special Teflon bearing grease - 18g tube - The only recommended product for S&S couplings £16.99"

It is expensive, but I'm happy to pay that when it effects such a crucial part of the bike.

Magnus Thor

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:36:56 pm »
I've had an S&S equiped Thorn Audax 853 for two years now and I've never noticed them loosening.  Not even when descending on really badly surfaced roads.
Of course, being a moderately paranoid person, I always carry the wrench - I know that the day I lave it at home I will need it.

Magnus Thor
Iceland