Author Topic: How to "silver" (solder?) pre-cut shifter cables  (Read 6165 times)

revelo

How to "silver" (solder?) pre-cut shifter cables
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:30:28 am »
How exactly do you "silver" a shifter cable that has been pre-cut to the right length, like Andy Blance recommends in "Living with Rohloff" for spares for a long tour? I don't want to gunk the cable up with so much silver that it won't fit into the hole in the Rohloff Ex box pulley or won't work when inserted or who knows what. I'm assuming "silver" means solder, but I have no experience with any of this and I don't want to make a mess of things, so idiot-proof instructions would be appreciated.

The idea I have is to first pull the existing cables. Then insert a spare set of cables and cut them to the right length (200mm beyond the cable housing), retract these cables, silver them somehow (whatever that means), then store them away in my field repair kit in case I break cables in the field. Then install a new set of cables, cut these to the right length and otherwise follow the cable replacement instructions. Maybe do this several times so I get the procedure down right. In the future, anytime I replace housing (and thus possibly change the length slightly), be sure to make a new set of pre-cut and "silvered" spare shifter cables for the repair kit.

My original idea was to bring along the uncut cables (which apparently come with solder on the ends to stop fraying) and cut to the right length in a motel room with my Leatherman tool. What I discovered is that the Leatherman cannot cut shifter cables cleanly. In fact, it can barely cut them at all. It mostly just mangles them. Cable cutters intended for shifter cables, by contrast, cut the cable without difficulty. No surprise, I'm sure, to those with more experience than me with bike repair. However, I don't want to bring along these cable cutters in my field repair kit.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How to "silver" (solder?) pre-cut shifter cables
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 03:15:38 am »
Hi Frank,

I think I may have seen this query before and somehow overlooked it; sorry.

I used to solder my cables, but have since found beta-cyanoacrylate "Super- Super Glue" (the kind that advertises on the package that it works with a wider range of items, including flexible materials and leather) does the job better for me than solder. The primary advantage is you don't need a soldering iron and can re-do it in the field. Best of all, this kind of super glue has very good "wetting" characteristics when fresh and flows well into the cable strands, gluing them together from inside without leaving a small blob on the outside that can sometimes be problematic when feeding the cables. If you don't want to wait for the super glue to dry, you can add water (or spit) as an accelerator.

I carry a tube in my underseat bag on day rides and tours, so it is always handy for securing the ends of field-cut cables. Just as in hospital A&E (Emergency) rooms, I've found this kind of super glue also makes a dandy substitute for field sutures, and can be managed one-handed much better than needle and thread. If one runs out of patches, a single drop placed in a tube hole will fix a flat almost indefinitely and has actually replaced patches for some of my use. Does a great job fixing glass-caused tread slits also.

Here's the steps I use to solder a stainless-steel cable:

1) Cut the cable cleanly with a sharp pair of v-jaw cutters (Dremel cut-off wheels leave emery dust behind). My SunTour v-jaw cable cutters are for cables, not housing, and are very sharp. I use my Felco heavy-duty v-jaw bypass cutters for housing, which they go through like butter.
2) Make sure it is clean and free of grease. I polish with plain steel wool, then wipe with xylene while wearing gloves.
3) I use Harris Stay-Clean (acid) or Kesler 817 Stainless Steel flux; brush on or dip the cable end in it.
4) Using a 100-200 watt soldering iron, get the wire hot enough so it (the wire) melts the solder on contact (I use Kester 98% tin, 2% cored silver solder).
5) Wipe off excess solder with a damp tissue as you slide the iron tip toward the end of the cable.
6) Wipe off and/or neutralize (baking soda) any remaining acid flux -- this includes the cable and the iron tip -- to prevent corrosion.
7) Final clean with xylene or polish with plain steel wool.

Beta-cyanoacrylate is much easier and quicker.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:21:33 am by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:16:56 am »

Besides being less bother, the glue solution is also cheaper. My standard silver solder, from another Oregenonite, George Cardas, for hi-fi use, is more expensive by weight than gold. But at least it's eutectic and doesn't require separate fluxing. All the same, I think I'll stick to the glue for fixing the cut ends of bicycle cables...

Andre Jute

revelo

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:46:33 pm »
Yes, I did some googling after making that post above and the consensus seems to be that superglue is better. I did some experimenting with regular superglue, not the fancy stuff Dan mentioned, and it works fine.

BUT, Dave Whittle replied on another thread in this forum regarding ex box cables, that regular shifter cables are a bad idea with the current Rohloff twister. That is a big surprise for me. :(

gearoidmuar

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:47:07 am »
I too have used superglue for that purpose for years. I thought that it was MY secret!

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:51:11 am »
Well, to Silver your cable end's with Solder is easy  :P
You dip the end of the cable into "Flux" (to clean) then you dip the cable end it to a Hot "Solder Pot".
Let the cable cool and wash of any Flux.
Very easy, it's just "Tinning" the cable end.
I hope this Helps.

Pete...
 ;)
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Eric

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 03:20:01 pm »
I've tried the superglue and other soldering methods - but I've now found one that works ;D:-

Needed:- JM easy-flo flux powder.
JM 55% silver solder - 1.5mm thick.
(Both on ebay).
degreasing liquid (I use brake cleaner)
Sheet of stainless steel about 50mm square and about .5mm thick.
Butane torch.

Method:-Beat a dent into the middle of of the steel and hold in a vice.
Cut some lengths of solder and place in dent.
Degrease cable ends.
Heat cable end, dip in flux, heat again until flux goes clear.
Play torch on underside of steel to melt solder.
Dip 10mm or so of cable in to solder.
Rinse (acid) flux away under tap.

Once you've got a 'mini-crucible' made, it's easy and quick to do- honest!! ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 03:46:38 am »
A very nice little "solder pot" you've made there, Eric; thanks for sharing!

Hmm. Now I know how you got the cable-ends looking so nice on that lovely blue/red RST of yours! ( http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3725.msg15934#msg15934 ).

Best,

Dan.