Author Topic: My New Sherpa  (Read 6395 times)

dick220369

My New Sherpa
« on: April 30, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
Hi All,

I just received my new Thorn Sherpa  :). When I first took it out of the box, I could tell it exuded quality and was built like a tank. When I ordered the bike from Thorn, it was Steve that dealt with me and all I can say is that the customer service he provided is the best I have ever had from any company. Initially I was concerned that the frame he quoted, a 500L, would be too small for me. My previous bike was a Ridgeback Panorama with a 54cm frame but Thorn suggested that this bike was too big for me. To be honest I never found that an issue but I did have to lower the seat as far as it would go and, when seated, I could touch the ground albeit on the tip of my shoes. I am 5' 7" tall with shorter legs than average - a BFSO of 28". My height indicated that the frame size up from the 500L would be good for me but, because of my short legs, the stand over height of this frame would be too large. I feel that the 500L is a good fit for me height wise but find that the top tube length is a little too short and the fork tube a little too short - the handlebars are too close and too low. Maybe a more angled, longer stem will improve this but I'll have to discuss this with Thorn. I also have to attach my panniers as far to the back of the rear rack as possible otherwise my heels kick them. I don't think this is a major issue but I would have expected the chainstays to be long enough to avoid this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the bike overall but there are a couple of niggles that may need to get sorted out before it's perfect.

Thanks,

Richard :)

markbUK

Re: My New Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 09:40:24 pm »
A very nice looking bike, and it sounds like a few minor tweaks will sort out your concerns, enjoy and keep us up to date with any changes and how your getting on

Mark

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 09:49:41 pm »
Hi Richard!

Welcome aboard; I think you'll like it here! What an entry...a brand-new, lovely Sherpa! Wow.

I would suggest using the bike as much as possible during the trial period so you can see if it is truly right for you in practice. Thorn do a terrific job sizing bicycles to riders, but there's always personal preference to consider as well. My Sherpa was spot-on, but I was in a similar dilemma of "qualifying" for two frames I could ride for my Nomad, and after talking with Andy Blance decided to go with the larger of the two at the expense of a wee bit of cargo capacity. I'm really pleased with the decision and the fit.

Still, I figured on some time and small adjustments to get things where I needed them to be perfect, and this proved to be the case. I budget for this on every bike I've bought. While the bike fit as-delivered with a longer stem and deep-drop anatomic 'bars and the brake levers positioned high, I found myself happier with compact drops, a shorter stem, and more conventional lever placement. I knew the fit would be a bit more challenging using drops on a "Medium" top-tube frame, but it all worked out and I could not be happier. One delightful side benefit is I now find myself positioned well within the bicycle's wheelbase, so I feel like I'm riding *in* the bike than *on* it and all works wonderfully.

I hope things will settle in to a *perfect* relationship for you and the bike. If you have any quibbles or niggles, I feel confident suggesting you contact Thorn, as they really do want you to have a happy experience. Of course, if there's anything the Forum membership can suggest from personal experience, please feel free to ask. Your bike looks terrific!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:44 pm »
 cracking looking bike enjoy every pedal stroke and stay sake.
welcome to the forum.

jags.

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 10:09:59 pm »
btw looking at your set up u need a longer  stem ,that brooks seems to be  back to far on the rails.

dick220369

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:18:28 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

I agree Jags that the Brooks is too far back but I did this so that I could get the handlebars farther away from me.

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:24:55 pm »
understand that but a longer stem is the answer i reckon you would be sitting far to back from the bottom bracket ,try it out first and see how you feel.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:45:56 pm »
Welcome. Nice bike.
I have been adjusting my Thorn Raven Tour over the past months.
A new saddle and bars caused all sorts of problems but good advice here and from SJS helped me solve the issues.

On the saddle front I was advised and fitted a lay back bracket.
Allowed me to sit pretty, and as with Dan, I now ride within the bike, rather than on it.
Nice term Dan.

Don't get ms started on the bar issues!
But solved now.

Just saying all this to make the point that small adjustments are usually necessary and fun to carry out.
Almost like making a pair of gloves to fit you personally.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

dick220369

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
Just spoke to Steve and he is sending out a couple of longer stems for me to try. As said earlier, the customer service from Thorn in excellent  :)

jags

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 11:58:49 am »
good stuff will make all the difference im sure. ;)

jags.

Templogin

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:59 pm »
That's a cracking looking bike you have there.  I had been suffering riding my eXp recently, my back was troubling me.  In the end I just turned the 135 degree stem up the other way to lift the bars and now it feels great.  Like a different bike.  It would be no good for you of course, but I felt that this thread needed me!

dick220369

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:05:36 pm »
I was in my LBS today and they had a sale on. I was sifting through the items and I came across a 105 mm stem with a 7 degree angle reduced to £10. I know Thorn have sent out a couple of longer stems for me to try but I couldn't resist the buy. Also, since it is a holiday weekend, they probably won't arrive till Tuesday next week and I am not the most patient of people. The new stem isn't that great quality but I used it to replace the 70 mm (7 degree) one that came with the bike. To be honest I really didn't think that 3.5 cm would make such a difference but - the bike is now transformed from something that was okay to cycle to a fantastic ride. I know Thorn are providing me with a 110 mm stem so as soon as it arrives it will replace the new one I just bought and the others will be sent back. I'm off to Ireland in a couple of weeks for a short cycle trip with a couple of friends. One of my friends is not very well so we are not going to cover a lot of miles but I can't wait to put the Sherpa to the test. 

jags

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 06:15:05 pm »
Great news Dick what part of ireland are you heading too.
the weather here is fantastic at the moment but its to break tomorrow loads of feckin rain  ::) but give in a week or so and the sun will be out again.
ide say the 110 stem  and saddle moved  forward  and your on a winner.
btw  when i put marathon supreams on my sherpa  wow fantastic ride .

jags

David Simpson

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »
I find that even 1 cm can make a difference.  When you are riding with your new setup, try pretending that your handlebars are a bit (1-2 cm) ahead, or back, or higher, or lower. It took me a while to fine-tune the position of my handlebars. I used one of those adjustable stems (where you can change the angle), and I carried a 5mm hex key on my rides. If I felt that the handlebar should be a bit higher or lower, I would stop and make a quick adjustment. Once I knew where I wanted the handlebar, I bought a stem with the length and angle that I wanted.

As you have found, having a well-adjusted bike makes all the difference.

- Dave

lewis noble

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 09:42:01 pm »
Good luck with getting sorted - I have always found SJSC service and advice excellent. And a collection of stems is a good idea - hang on to them. You can then fix other peoples posture problems and they think you're a genius.