Author Topic: Thorn for Arizona?  (Read 7772 times)

Desertrider

Thorn for Arizona?
« on: October 19, 2005, 03:26:10 pm »
Hello everyone; I'm hoping I can benefit from the experience of the people on this forum. Sorry in advance for the longish post.

I've been shopping for a new bicycle frame for some time, and have developed a strong attraction to the Thorn models (besides, the name seems suitable for an Arizona bicycle). They appear to enjoy a very loyal following.

I live five miles down a dirt road in the Sonoran Desert,next to about a million acres of public land, so virtually all my riding is off-tarmac. Mostly I ride lightly loaded for exercise, but occasionally (2 or 3 times a year) I plan to undertake loaded tours with panniers--including treks to other parts of the world. The trails I ride are mostly dirt 4x4 routes, with some technical sections. Above all I need a bike that is strong and reliable, but I don't want to go overboard and wind up with something that feels like a tank when unloaded. So far the Nomad or EXP seem to be the likely candidates. I lean toward the Nomad for what I assume would be handier unloaded maneuverability, but I'd like to hear from riders of both. Also, for personal reasons I'd really prefer a frame made in the UK, not offshore, and I don't see a reference on the Thorn brochure that specifically states where the Nomad frame is built.

I'm 5 foot 9, 150 pounds, and a fit 50 years old.

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated, and repaid with hospitality should you decide to come see the Arizona deserts.

eblair

Re: Thorn for Arizona?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 04:13:56 pm »
As a 5'9" 160 pound fit 60 year old who used to live in Tucson, I have one word of advice: Rohloff.  I know you asked about frames, but if you go to the trouble of getting a Thorn--one of the few bikes available in standard form fully ready for a Rohloff hub--I'd suggest giving serious thought to internal gears.

A year ago I got a new bike. I couldn't figure out how to get a Thorn in Oregon without going through all sorts of hoops, but I did get a custom (steel) frame with Rohoff dropouts and hub and I'll never own a derailleur again. And I ride mostly in a (very hilly) city; when I go out into the woods and desert the Rohloff is even more outstanding.

jgrgilbert

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:25:10 pm »
Sounds like a job for an eXXp to me:

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/exxp.html

or a Rohloff eXp if you don't want the suspension. They are, like most of their more expensive bikes, hand built by Thorn in Somerset. Their other frames are made in Taiwan. I just saw them in the metal at the Cycle Show in London, and they are gorgeous.

The Rohloff hub really is the ultimate in reliability.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:26:31 pm by jgrgilbert »

luceberg

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:58:09 pm »
Hi, I believe that all the fillet brazed frames, including the Nomad and XTC  are built in the UK. Some are built inhouse, such as the EXP.
All the tig welded frames are made in Taiwan,including the Sherpa and Club Tour.

Desertrider

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 01:53:17 am »
Thanks for the input. Glad to know all the filet-brazed frames are built in England. (I'm simply tired of the flood of Oriental products taking over the world.)

Eblair, I didn't realize there might be a problem importing a Thorn frame on my own! I thought they could just ship it, and I'd pay any duty. Not like it's an assault rifle or something unsociable. (Incidentally, did you start growing mushrooms out your ears when you moved from Arizona to Oregon?:-)

I'm sold on the Rohloff hub, but as a penurious freelance writer not sure about the funding . . .

hoogie

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 02:44:48 am »
i am 44yo, 1.91m and 105kg [6'4", 230lbs]

i have used my Nomad for about 18months ... it really is a very versatile bike ... there really isn't much i haven't done with it ... i use it for long day rides, commuting, shopping [with big rear panniers], riding singletrack with workmates complete with fenders and dual racks, and of course i have used it for touring too ... it handles it all without fuss ...
my Nomad webpage... http://www.hoogie.co.nz/bikes/nomad.htm

i would agree with the other comment on here, if you can afford it, go for a rolhoff hubbed model ... but if you don't, then the Nomad is a very good choice ...
i think sheldon brown at http://www.harriscyclery.com is still an agent for Thorn bikes in the usa ... drop robin or sheldon an email, they are very friendly and given impartial advice ...
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/thorn/index.html

Desertrider

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 02:52:55 am »
Hoogie, thanks, that's excellent information. I'm looking forward to going through your website at length.

hoogie

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 08:45:49 pm »
Please feel free to contact me from my website if you wanted more information on my Nomad ... i have put down a few ride impressions on the website as well ...

eblair

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 01:07:31 am »
Desert Rider,

I don't want to scare you off. There were no legal hurles, merely procedural complications. I didn't want a frame--which I think Harris can handle--but an entire bike. The cost of shipping an entire bike bike halfway around the world and paying duty on the whole price (including hub) ended up too high for comfort--especially for a bike I couldn't try for fit. It actually worked out about the same cost to have a custom bike made in this country.

My ancestors must have fixed the Scottish climate in my genes: Oregon's grey skies and cold drizzle suit me to the bone. I found the Sonoran desert beautiful but the heat utterly unendurable. De Gustibus and all that.

Desertrider

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 03:23:57 pm »
Eblair, yes: As Arizona natives my wife and I start layering when the temperature drops below 75 degrees F!

ahconway

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 04:04:03 pm »
Of course, if you were ambitious, you can now get a round trip flight between Phonix and London for about $500. Depending on how much you're spending, it could be worth the trip! (Of course, you might get stuck with VAT this way, but at least you'd get a nice trip to London & Bridgewater out of it!)

jgrgilbert

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 12:48:53 am »
What about tax free shopping? How does that work?

Desertrider

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 02:17:28 am »
I actually thought about picking one up at the source. My wife and I have friends in Hastings whom we visit now and then. I believe you get a VAT refund if taking the product out of the country.

But the Harris Cyclery option here in the U.S. is viable as well.

One possible problem: Someone tells me the Nomad frame is made overseas? Urk. . .If I'm going to spend the money on a British touring frame, I want it made in England, dammit! Can anyone confirm which Thorn frames are made there?

hoogie

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Desertrider

I actually thought about picking one up at the source. My wife and I have friends in Hastings whom we visit now and then. I believe you get a VAT refund if taking the product out of the country.

But the Harris Cyclery option here in the U.S. is viable as well.

One possible problem: Someone tells me the Nomad frame is made overseas? Urk. . .If I'm going to spend the money on a British touring frame, I want it made in England, dammit! Can anyone confirm which Thorn frames are made there?

if you purchase a frame from Thorn direct, they take the VAT off the sticker price (advertised price-20%=roughly what you pay ... but the you have to do the currency conversion thing) ...
i think the Nomads are stil made in the UK ...
best thing to do is to email Robin Thorn himself, he is a no pressure type guy and will happily answer any questions you might have ...

luceberg

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 12:22:19 am »
Hmm..it seems I misinformed you as they are no longer being built by LA Cycles of Coventry  http://www.leecoopercycles.com/.

Thorn may have frames in stock made by them. As Hoogie says you could ask Robin, or you could buy from Lee Cooper, as he must have had plenty of practice!