Author Topic: Trigger Shifter for Rohloff  (Read 11256 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Trigger Shifter for Rohloff
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 02:27:22 am »
I paddled Grade 5+ for year WW Kayaking! (Class 6 for people in the USA) and at the time I was not a very good Swimmer too.
Class 6! :o
That is why my Phone Number is 0 - - K A Y A K S
Mine would be 0 - - N00000!  :-\
O' I like the shifter be would like it under the Handlebars
Looks like it would fit there just fine, Pete.

Best,

Dan. (...whose current motto remains "Live to see another day")

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:56 am »
Class 6! :o Mine would be 0 - - N00000!  :-\Looks like it would fit there just fine, Pete.

Best,

Dan. (...whose current motto remains "Live to see another day")

Hi Dan,
Rule Number One is to keep Safe be Safe  8)
The River (or Track) will still be there in the Morning  :o So no point in being Mad and unsafe  ???

So I have not and will (at this time) Paddle Grade 6 or 7 (Class 6+ to 7 for you Dan  ;D ) do you have word Phone Numbers in the USA?
As for you Motto???  "Live to See Another Day" is miss "First You Have Too Live"

Back to the Shifter! I would love to order one today! but will have to wait until I have a full time job (Work for the USA  :D ) I have over the year's sat down and been design new shifter for my Rohloff's but have not had the gear to make one  :(
I think an Until Trigger Shifter for Rohloff Hub's would be the only way to go....... . . .  . . . . .  . .

Pete  :-*

Note: A very good Grade 7 river is only 6 km's away from my front door!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:12:58 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »
Thanks, Pete.  Our rapids are only Class II (of VI), so they look worse than they are.  Me, I don't take my boat into Class III, 'cos I don't fancy trekking for 3 - 4 days if I wreck it...  Be safe, or pole pole, as they say in Tanzania.

But back to Rohloff shifters, ratcheting and standard:  Dan, I did some measuring and visualizing, to locate the Ovo-ratchet shifter on my rando bars, and I think I'd like to place the shifter in the curve of the bars just aft of the hoods, more or less horizontal & at right angles to the bars, to allow ready thumb-shifting. (Other options might include vertical mounting, close to the brake lever.)  How to locate them within the rando-curve-and-rise?

I wrote to Problemsolvers.com yesterday, and invited them to produce a larger version of their well-made and well-rated Universal Bar Mount.  This has an 80 mm x 22.2mm bar, fixed by an HB clamp which works with bars from 25.4 mm to 31.8 mm.  The accessory bar appears to be about 25-30 mm from the HB.  So, I gave them a problem and a solution:  I haven't been able to find a larger HB-mounted acc bar, so recommended that they produce a second HB-mounted accessory bar, but with a clamp which locates the bar about 55 - 60 mm from the handlebar.  That would allow me to mount either a Roholff standard shifter or the Ovo-ratchet nicely within the curve of my rando bars.

Will advise on what reply I get.  I said to Problemsolvers that there's a cottage industry devoted to mounting Rohloff shifters on drop bars, and offered to test their prototype for them, and buy it if it works.  I think there's probably a larger, non-Rohloff market for a good-quality universal mount, one step larger that the one which Problemsolvers now offer. (Similarly, Thorn could probably offer & sell an HB-mounted version of its stem-mounted acc bars as well.)

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »
Hi John!

Reading through your list of requirements, I can happily tell you it is really easy to make one's own mount to place a Rohloff shifter on drop handlebars -- easy, safe, reliable, and sized perfectly for holding a Rohloff shifter pretty much wherever you please -- including mid-curve on your Rando 'bars if you wish, and you can adjust the offset or standoff at will when making it.

I've made a number myself as stubs to mount my cycle-computers to the sides of my quill stems so as to leave the handlebars unencumbered. They have all come out well, even though I made mine "the hard" way and spent extra time to finish-dome the ends of tubular aluminum that had once been handlebar stock and then used a milled-down conduit plug for the hole before fine-polishing the lot.

You really can whomp out one of these things in about 20 minutes with nothing more than a hacksaw...perhaps a file if you wish to be neat. Parts list includes a section of spare MTB-sized (22.2mm OD) handlebar, a brake lever clamp, and *either* a threadless stem cap or a bar-end plug, sanded down a bit to better fit the smaller ID of the MTB handlebar. It is even possible if you're a bit crafty to avoid any sort of cap; just cross-drill the 'bar section and insert a rod with a hole drilled in it to draw up the clamp (helping the clamp pretend it is holding a brake lever). That's what I did, using an old Weinmann/Dia-Compe brake housing clamp bolt cross-stop.

The folks at Aaron's Bikes in Seattle posted a link well after I made my computer mounts: http://www.rideyourbike.com/shiftermount.shtml

Though my DIY efforts predated Aaron's Bikes' by more than two decades, the idea itself is not new at all. It is the same method used by weinmann and Dia-compre to produce tandem "dummy" grips for stoker's handlebars back in the late 1970s-early '80s, and at one time in the late-'90s, Dia-Compe produced a variation (sold through Canada's Norco) that was intended to make a supporting stub for a 'bar bag's detachable steel frame (as was de rigeur at the time) to the crosspiece on early MTB "bullmoose" handlebars -- the kind that looked a bit like a "Y" when you looked down on them.

I'd suggest giving this a try before going the QBP/ProblemSolvers route, as you'll get where you need to go much more quickly and can tailor it to your own needs almost instantly. With a Rohloff shifter mounted on it, the result will look OEM-clean.

All the best,

Dan. (...who is beginning to think there might be some advantages to being an "old" Roadie; what's old is new again)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:34:02 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 09:55:31 pm »
John, I forgot to add...

Though the Cresswell ratchet should fit the handlebars directly, the mount I've described and pictured above would offset it from the 'bars enough to allow easy shifting on drops. I did not go this route on my own Nomad 'cos I used Rohloff's own rotary shifter, and decided it was an easier reach to the top-mounted T-bar. If I went the Cresswell/Ovo Tandem route, I would mount the ratchet shifter on one of these stubs, lagged directly off the inside curve of the handlebars.

Looking at the YouTube video of the ratchet shifter I linked to above, it appear one needs to have clearance to approach from below and above if it is mounted to the inside of a handlebar. I don't think co-locating it (or nearly so) with the brake lever would do, but back toward the curve a bit should do just fine for shifting ease.

Oh! One last thing*...though my quill stem is 22.2mm, the same stub could be made to fit a road-diameter handlebar by simply making the curved mounting face with a little larger radius. I used a road-diameter brake clamp, so it would work in any application. The stub I made in the photo above used a section of road-bike drop-'bar; the one on another bike uses the 22.2mm MTB 'bar I had on hand at the time.

Best,

Dan.

*EDIT: Nope, not the last;  :) an addendum is needed to answer questions PM'd or emailed about the composite photo I attached to the last post. I'll answer here to save time:
• Yes, I engraved the stem myself. Painted it, too, with a baked enamel finish.
• The tall headset nut is a Sugino High Column Nut, designed to further brace a tall quill stem against heavy loads like a handlebar bag or reefing on the 'bars when "honking" out of the saddle. it is sealed with an o-ring to help prevent sweat from corroding the stem/nut interface. No, it won't work on a threadless stem, nor is it needed there 'cos a 1-1/8" threadless steel steerer and clamp-on stem are much stiffer than a small-diameter aluminum quill stem in a 1" threaded steerer.
• The unusual looking headset is a Stronglight Delta roller-bearing model; essentially an A-9 in a prettier, better finished anodized external cup set and with neoprene weather seals added. The roller races are interchangeable, I did buy a half-dozen extra bearing/race sets, and no I don't have any extras to sell on. No, this headset won't work on a threadless steerer.
• The cable stop you see is reversed so it makes a parking brake, locking the front wheel for convenience and security while at rest. A subsidiary Dia-Compe #9871 quick-release mounted on cantis' straddle cable handles primary release duties. Yes, the same setup would work on a Club Tour or any Thorn equipped with cantilever brakes and a cable stop so long as you the q/r stop can be reversed in function. Yes, there have been q/r cable stops made for threadless stems, but I don't know where they are currently available.
• No, the PlanetBike Protege 9.0 computer has no external buttons; the case is the button. Yes, it is waterproof. No, it is not perfect; the average speed is figured on a 10-hour time base, after which it shows an Error code which irritates me mightily, but I like the rest of it.
• The handlebar covers are Morgan Grips by Morgan Concepts, late of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. They are ergonomically shaped and very comfortable on long rides on rough roads. They weigh a heavy 10.5oz/300g all by themselves and are a bear to install; even worse to reinstall as they must be glued and stitched on. They ceased production in the mid-'80s. The patent is here: http://www.google.com/patents/US4522083 There are no more left to buy. Anywhere. I tried. Really!
• Yes, the tape under the clamps prevents scratches and the possibility of galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals. Yes, I could have done it more neatly.
• The mysterious bracket in the upper-left is for a SkyMounti inclinometer. The one atop the stem is for a Garmin Oregon 400T GPS. The blue thing at the top of the left-hand photo is an LED flashlight in a TwoFish bracket. I use it to remain visible at stops, since this bike does not have a standlight with its dyno lighting.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:41:26 am by Danneaux »

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 11:52:44 pm »
Thanks, Dan -- that's very helpful, as always.  I'll think some more about this.  I like the setup which places the acc bar parallel to the HB -- allows the possibility of mounting either the Cresswell or standard Rohloff shifter in the Rando curve.  Happily, there's no rush on any of this -- expect to sell the Ajay on in mid-June, freeing up both space and the ready for the Raven Tour later in the year.

Cheers,

J.

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:01 am »
That is why my Phone Number is 0 - - K A Y A K S  :)

St Peter, you have my number!

Andre Jute

ZeroBike

Eric

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 08:12:59 am »
 ;DMy thoughts. VERY interesting! At present I have two Rohloffs - one on a Catylst ATB with the old triangular shifter - works 100% beautifully on straight bars. The other is on my RST drop-bar tourer, with the new round grip on an accesory stub bar on the stem - it is slightly awkward to use (taking hand off bars) and I prefer the positive shape of the old triangular, although the gear indicator is clearer on the 'round'.
Being used to Sti levers on my other drop-bar bikes, I am very interested. A few points:-
1. No visible gear indicator - not a REAL problem, I know.
2. More to go wrong - the Rohloff twistgrip is simple and functional.
3. I cannot see it being as 'naturally functional' as an Sti.
4. Is it on sale yet?
5. Perhaps the flashy silver Berthoud is more what I want - seems tried and tested? ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »
Hi Eric!

You've given a nice summary. The choices can be hard, especially for drop-'bar riders. In addition to the Berthoud and now the new Cresswell ratchet shifter, there is also the Co-Motion alternative.

I closely considered getting the Berthoud on my Nomad, but realized the unit is less well sealed against weather than Rohloff's original and Andy Blance noted it might not be as suitable for the sort of touring I do. I have had reports from Dutch friends, manufacturers, and bike mechanics reflecting similar concerns, but I have yet to read any direct user reports here among owners on the Forum of practical problems that have cropped up as a result. Those people on the Forum who have bought the Berthouds and PM'd me seem pleased with theirs in actual use.

I stayed with the original (later, round, marked number) Rohloff OEM shifter (on a T-bar above my drop handlebars) partly for ready parts availability and partly because is *is* so simple, but also to avoid a bare aluminum control knob, which would become extremely hot or cold to the touch in the places where I would use it (aluminum is a very efficient temperature conductor). The Rohloff's rubber cover also works nicely in wet or snow conditions and is easy to grip with or without gloves.

Always nice to have alternatives, but oh! making a choice can be hard.

Best,

Dan.