Author Topic: Choice of hub dynamo  (Read 4706 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
Choice of hub dynamo
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »
I have just taken advantage of the super deal SJSC are offering on the Schmidt E6B dynamo light [less than 1/2 price].

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11198

I am looking for advice on a hub dynamo to run it, it seems that shimano do some decent 3 watt ones, then there is a massive leap in price to the Scmidt hubs.  Given that it will need building into my front wheel what do people recommend as a good all round choice?  Spa are doing some attractive deals for handbuilt wheels with dyno hubs at the mo.

For example, is the shimano N72 a decent dynamo?  Seems reasonably priced...

Thanks for any advice!

PH

Re: Choice of hub dynamo
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »
Send the light back, add a couple of quid and get the cheapest LED.
I was happy to own a pair of the E6s, at £60 each, they really were as good as dynamo lighting got six years ago.  Now they pale into insignificance when placed alongside any LED.  The price difference will soon be made up by not having to replace the bulb every few months, at £4 a time.
Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, there's plenty of people with these gathering dust in the shed, I've just given my pair away.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:45:46 am »
Thanks PH.  That'll be the reason for the low price then.

I shall reconsider.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:58:20 pm »
PH is right, the E6B, good as it may have been in its day, in comparison with new lamps isn't much chop, and expensive to maintain. The current standard good lamp is the Cyo. They too should be on sale as they have just been updated with daylight running lamps. I have both types, nearfield with built-in reflector and the sports type which has a supposedly further throw (I don't see it), and recommend the R type with the reflector for its better side-spill close to the rider; its reach is far more than enough for fast night work on narrow lanes and A roads.

Peter White in America has photographs of the throw of the various lamps. Pay more attention to the width of the light beam than the distance of its throw: some of those beams are too narrow to see the verge or the ditch or the pavement kerbstone when it matters.

The N72 has Ultegra-type bearings. I have both Shimano and SON hub dynamos and find differences in operation to be minimal. Unless you commute 250 miles a week, the Shimano is more than good enough; it is in any event rebuildable (at least theoretically -- for 45 Euro for a new one, I don't see anyone bothering with a rebuild).

Andre Jute

Blacksail

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 04:13:50 pm »
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11751.0
Lot's of info on lights and I can confirm the edelux is very very good with the added bonus that it has a beam pattern that puts all the light on the road thus avoiding blinding other cyclists (and cars)

I'd go with the shimano hub the SON's are much more expensive for not much extra performance (that said I have the SON 20r and love it)

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 06:01:35 pm »
....-- for 45 Euro for a new one, I don't see anyone bothering with a rebuild).

Andre Jute

Can you tell me where I can get a new one for 45 euros?

freddered

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 02:00:53 pm »
I agree with the above.

I rode up to a person using an E6 and you couldn't see his beam in the spill from mine (B&M CYO).  He commented that he thought a car was coming past.  LED is where it's at.  If you want the best get a Supernova E6

I have SON and Shimano dynohubs and have no preference. They both work (touches wood).

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:52:31 pm »
Thanks Hobbes, I did try googling etc, but didn't come up with prices as good as those.