Author Topic: GPS for cycling  (Read 15914 times)

pdamm

Re: GPS for cycling
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 02:04:51 am »
I have used a GPS for 18 months old now, a Garmin Colorado and really like it. It took me a while to work out how to get the best from it.  The trick is to not let it choose the path for you.  Instead plan your course yourself and download it to the GPS as a track (not a route).  When it chooses the rout for you it tends to pick the most direct way which also means busy roads.  When I work out the path before hand and put it in then I just follow it.  It tells me exactly where I am and when to turn.  I don’t miss turns.  One downside is that I am finding that I don’t learn new routs as quickly because I just rely on the GPS.

I find it particularly good for finding my way through strange cities but also useful in the country.

Peter

pastafarian

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:20:29 am »
The recalculation of routes, which cannot be turned off, is a major disadvantage to the Colorado and Oregon models. If you don't need to make routes as you go, then it's perfectly alright. But, it is not always possible to know where to go beforehand. Especially if one likes to "get off the beaten track". I like to improvise without having to worry that I will end up on the motorway. This has been a long debated subject on a Swedish touring forum that I frequent, for the simple reason that it is something Garmin doesn't tell customers. It's not something they try to hide either, but as a first time buyer it's really hard, if not impossible, to work it out for yourself if you hardly even know what a route is...

Aside from this, the Colorado and Oregon units look great and have a fairly good battery life considering the demands of the bigger screen.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 03:04:56 pm »
A big +1 for the Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx.   My wife and I both spend a lot of time in the outdoors. (my wife run a small company that provide outdoor education).  We have 3 GPS units!  The vista is always the one we both always reach for first.  I find it very easy to use.  The Only thing I wish you could do with it it to load on OS maps.  (the garmin topo  are ok but not as good as a genuine OS)

PH

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »
I'm a new user so not really qualified to give a review.
I visited the Cycle show specifically to have a play with the Garmin, Memory Map and Satmap products.  The new MM unit was a bit unimpressive, looked like it would be hard to operate on the move.  But the thing that really put me off was not being able to use it with off the shelf batteries.  The Satmap was a thing of beauty, very clear view, very instinctive to use and of course can be used with AAs.  But the base mapping wasn't really good enough for anything, I'd want the whole of the UK on Landranger which would push the price to around £500, I just didn't want to spend that much.  The Garmin display was impressive, and the staff really helpful, every time I asked which unit would do a specific task the Legend Hcx was in the shortlist, So that’s what I went for.  I bought the City Navigator mapping, for on road that's probably as good as I need, for my occasional bit of off road I'll stick with paper maps.
Time will tell if it was the right choice.  I'm just getting to grip with the features, so far I've been impressed.

Relayer

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:39 am »
I got a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx a couple of years ago which I use primarily for walking, however I also have a handlebar mount for this.

This unit is not cheap, and when you add Topo GB and Memory Map the cost gets very high.  However this gets you a very tough and weather proof unit with OS quality mapping and very easy to use interface, too many features to list here.  The satellite receiver is also high quality and works in wooded areas.  Load up a route on memory map on your PC, download it to the Garmin, get some AA batteries (rechargeable or not) and away you go.

A very good review is here:  http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-60cx-review.php

Jim
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:59:45 am by Relayer »

martinatkinson

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 04:47:28 pm »
I had a Garmin etrex Vista CX until it was nicked a year ago. I replaced with an Oregon but found it unreliable for following routes downloaded from Garmin's own Mapsource Topo GB and the touchscreen, although fun, is not user friendly. It is difficult to use on the fly and screen is very hard to read except if bright sunlight. It also heavier and eats batteries. Having spend nearly £300 on it I feel committed to sticking with it but would recommend anyone else to get the updated etrex Vista HCX while it is still available, it is likely to be far more reliable, more practical to use and costs half the price. Plus side to the Oregon is that you can attach a HRM and cadence sensor but you're probably better getting one of the Edge range if that is important to you.

Moved by Stutho
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:48:16 am by stutho »

DavidH

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 10:46:42 am »
thanks for the advice. You have encouraged me to have a look at Garmin, and to use OS map sets. I saw this deal on Wiggle for a Dakota 20 with OS maps
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmin_Dakota_20_MTB_Bundle_w~_Mount_and_Half_Price_Maps/5360046715/

- £305 for what would normally be about £420 including the maps and bike mounting bracket.
 I got a further £20 quid off as part of a christmas deal - so £285 all told.

I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

spooley

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 01:50:19 pm »
If you have a Series S60 - based phone (such as one of the many models from Nokia), ViewRanger www.viewranger.com provides an excellent GPS solution, and individually-downloadable OS Landranger (1:50k) and Explorer (1:25k) maps.

I've used that on my Nokia E71 (with a handlebar mount) for various cycle trips.

Simon.