Author Topic: Forking hell  (Read 8290 times)

Matt2matt2002

Forking hell
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:13:22 pm »
Pardon the language but my front forks were badly damaged on the flight from UK to Sri Lanka.
Unable to post pictures at the moment but one of the forks was definitely out of line.
I had used a fork spacer when I packed the bike but that was missing from the ripped open end of the box!
I was unable to insert the axel across the fork ends. It was that much out of line.
This was on day one of my 30 day tour. Not happy.
Leaving aside my claim against the airline; long story, separate post.
A local bike shop manager to realign the fork ends enough to get me back on the road . 101 km today and wheels looks true without any brake rubbing etc.

I can see that the spindle is not 100% through the forks but enough to tighten things up.

What is best to do on my return?
Can local bike shops re set the forks or is it a job for SJS?

Enjoying Sri Lanka, now that I'm back on the road.
More posts on that subject to follow.

Thanks folks
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

Re: Forking hell
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »
Really sorry to hear about that especially at the start of a tour.  Fork damage is always a concern although at least steel is a generally forgiving material.  Check carefully for any signs of cracking especially at the welds.  I might be tempted to buy a new set on return for peace of mind.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »
So sorry to hear what has befallen the Old Bird, Matt, but very glad the rest of the bike appears okay and your tour was not delayed.

The good news is, Thorn's replacement forks are a tremendous bargain, considering the engineering and work put into them, and they are available pre-powdercoated to match your frame paint at very good prices. There are three models available for your Raven Tour, depending on your original fork rake (a match determined by frame size so handling will remain the same):
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=raven%20tour%20fork&geoc=US&vat=INC

Be careful on downhills, as the handling may have changed.

Do take care and know good thoughts go with you.

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58:28 pm »
My last touring bike (non Thorn) had its forks mangled by baggage handlers once. Luckily it was when returning home at the end of a tour. I took it to a local frame builder and he re aligned them and checked them over. I carried on using them for another ten years no problem. Superseded by my Sherpa now, but they are still in the shed.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 11:38:35 pm »
The good news is, Thorn's replacement forks are a tremendous bargain

And they're beautiful too, especially that zweidecker design that SJS calls "twin plate".

Takeaways, Matt: inspect under a strong light for cracks, especially in the welds, and take care on the downhills until you understand whether and how the handling of the bike has been changed by the involuntary new "geometry" of your fork.

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:31:24 pm »
Sorry to hear about your disaster.  I am no expert so wouldn't take the risk, and would replace them, especially if you load the front end or go downhills fast!

Andy
Shetland

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 12:56:41 am »
Thanks folks.
600+ km now on the damaged forks.
There is some shuddering when I use the front brake but tracking is fine.
All flat roads so far so no hard braking .
Hills should start in a week or so.
I will certainly be very careful then.
Just using rear panniers on this tour.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:36:02 am »
So sorry to hear what has befallen the Old Bird, Matt, but very glad the rest of the bike appears okay and your tour was not delayed.

The good news is, Thorn's replacement forks are a tremendous bargain, considering the engineering and work put into them, and they are available pre-powdercoated to match your frame paint at very good prices. There are three models available for your Raven Tour, depending on your original fork rake (a match determined by frame size so handling will remain the same):
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=raven%20tour%20fork&geoc=US&vat=INC

Be careful on downhills, as the handling may have changed.

Do take care and know good thoughts go with you.

All the best,

Dan. UB

I'm having problems identifying the correct fork, Dan.

My frame number is
587L07013

I can't see a reference for that size.

Perhaps all this heat has gone to my head?
  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 04:22:48 pm »
Hi Matt!

By your serial number, you have a size 587L (Long tip tube) frame. I see SJS Cycles lists a replacement fork for the 587S (Short top tube) frame here:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/26-thorn-531-raven-tour-twin-plate-steel-fork-54-mm-offset-black/?geoc=US

I can't imagine the length of the top tube would affect fork rake, but it would be best to check with SJS Cycles first before ordering. The fork offsets aren't listed in the original Raven Tour brochure:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070818182847/http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/ThornRavenTourBroHiRes.pdf

All the best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:21:04 pm »
This one appears to fit the long top tube Raven Tours including the 587L:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/forks/26-thorn-531-raven-tour-twin-plate-steel-fork-48-mm-offset-dark-green-gloss/
It appears that the Long TT frames have 48mm offset, 54mm offset for most of the short TT frames and 60mm offset for the smallest short TT frames.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:25:47 pm by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »
Yay! Great job, Mac'; thanks!

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »
Yay! Great job, Mac'; thanks!

Dan.

Ditto.
😀

I'm awaiting a reply from SJS

Matt

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:13 pm »
I don't suppose it is helpful, but this thread is fascinating, life and death stuff in farflung corners of hot, exotic places. It's the shiver-making stuff of Boy's Own fiction, which, when turned into a TV dramadoc, will star Michael Palin as Matt the Intrepid.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 11:34:11 pm »
...which, when turned into a TV dramadoc, will star Michael Palin as Matt the Intrepid.
I figured on casting a not-old Harrison Ford as Matt; he already has a fedora and bullwhip, both items likely to be useful to Our Mr. Newton as he enters the Sri Lankan uplands....

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:11:55 am »
Funny you should mention Michael Palin
 My brother in law is a dead ringer for him.

Still waiting to hear from SJS
 I had hoped to order it from here so I could have it waiting for me when I return.
I guess a local bike shop in UK could take a look but I'm not sure I'll ever trust them again.

Continuing my ride and topped 1,000+ km today. No fork problems. The bike rides like dream. Rohloff so silent.

Some local folks were giving it the once over today and I overheard one of them say, " Belt drive".
It must have been my Chaingliger fooling them.
😉