Author Topic: Thorn's frame builder?  (Read 5873 times)

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
Thorn's frame builder?
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:47:25 am »
I just saw mentioned in another thread that Thorn's frame builder left recently. If so that must be a major blow to the company. Why did he leave?
Brian.

julk

Re: Thorn's frame builder?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:47:10 am »
rafiki,
I was speaking to Daniel on the sales team about a replacement for my bike which was stolen just over a week ago. He said that the demand for hand made (in England) frames had dropped right off in recent years and they had finally shut the frame shop down a couple of weeks ago as a result.

Sad news, Kevin Sayles had been making frames professionally for a long time. You can Google him and find some interesting links.
julian.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
What a shame. Sign of the times I suppose. From where will Thorn source their frames now do you know?
Brian.

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 10:01:17 am »
What a shame. Sign of the times I suppose. From where will Thorn source their frames now do you know?
Same place as they've sourced them for the last few years, a factory in Taiwan.
Only their top of the line bikes or specials were built by their frame builder.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 10:40:13 am »
Yes, I felt sure my Sterling frame was built in Bridgewater.
Brian.

John Nettles

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:26:14 pm »
Does anyone know where the frame builder went to?  Did he open a shop, retire, working for someone else?

Thanks, John

brummie

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »
Well, after a bit of detective work John, ( Can I call you Bergerac ? ) it appears he's now working behind a welding mask for Woodrup cycles in Leeds keeping the british frame building flag flying.

beef

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:25:13 pm »
Sounds a bit strange to me,  they must have orders from overseas as well.  I wonder whether the pricing was just too high for the Exp stuff.  The brochures really promote the ravens and sherpas as good quality, good value purchases so perhaps customers are just not seeing the point of paying for the handbuilt stuff.   Other builders in the uk are still trading such as Roberts and Argos in Bristol and they only sell their custom built stuff so rely heavily on the custom built trade as well as frame renovations in the uk and they don't appear to be on the verge of going out of trade (although I don't know this for a fact)!!!.

I wonder whether its a business decision based on profit as SJS presumably sell 100's of the regular models and make better margins.  Perhaps they felt they didnt want to pay Kevin Sayles a high wage for his expertise??   This is frustrating for me now as I was going to buy an exp S&S frame as an upgrade to my sherpa.   

john28july

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 09:13:13 am »
Hello
As far as I am concerned, Argos and other frame builders charge high prices for builds. The reason is not that the build is better (as such), but they get fewer orders but still have overheads. Thorn are a business selling bikes and parts (St John St Cycles) and started with a frame builder many years ago. Once established as a market leader it is obvious that either the company employed dozens of frame builders, larger workshops or source abroad. That said, the outsourced frames are as good as home built but obviously do not have the same panache (?).
I have an Audax 853 which is my pride. I have owned a Nomad (original) built by Kevin. I now have the Audax 853 with a Club Tour and a Sherpa. My own opinion is that all the bikes I have had and also now own, are and were to a great standard, so no complaints either way.
I am sure that Kevin is now back where he wants to be as a niche frame builder, and back where he once worked.
Just my take on the matter. I hope it has helped .
John.