Author Topic: Tired out?  (Read 4693 times)

Matt2matt2002

Tired out?
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:22:25 pm »
Is it time I spoke to Mrs Matt nicely and discussed the idea of a new rear tyre?

Schwalbe Marathons
26 x 1.75
(HIS308) That's printed next to the size. What does that mean please?

No punctures on it for the last 1,879 miles.

It came on the bike 13 months ago from Andy

I have done 5,250 miles in that time. Only 2 short weekend tours with rear panniers / no tent or extra weight.
Pressures always on the high side.
(none of that squishy nonsense for me  ;) )

Are the brown/tan marks sign of excess wear?
Never seen it before. At first I thought it was sand.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Tired out?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »
Hi Matt!

The brownish tones you see are the under-belt showing through what remains of your tire tread. I usually replace my tires at this point, but on their website FAQ, Schwalbe advise one can wait until the belt is showing even through. You're not far from that, I'd say.
HS308 is Schwalbe's stock number for your tire.

I'd say the tire showed excellent wear over its life, and could stand replacement soon if not now.

All the best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »
Hi Matt, I reckon that one has done good service, especially with your tours coming up. There must be an increased risk of puncturing. Standard marathons can be had cheaply and are a good value tyre.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »
Thanks chaps.
I'll order a pair of replacements but don't think they will arrive before I visit Lerwick.
So fingers crossed.
I hear the roads are excellent there. In part due to the oil money and lack of heavy traffic.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:40:54 pm »
switch tham around matt put front tyre on the back get another couple hundred miles out of them.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50:58 pm »
switch tham around matt put front tyre on the back get another couple hundred miles out of them.

Interesting point of view Jags. I do that although not if I can see through the rubber like on these of Matt's. However, others suggest putting a warn tyre on the front is not v safe as grip would be compromised. It's probably one if the many aspects of cycling lore that folks disagree on!

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:38:46 pm »
I'd certainly put the best tyre on the front on the principle that the last thing to be compromised is braking.

However, which is the best tyre is itself subject to disagreement in cycling circles. For instance, I'd always choose the slickest tyre as the best, and that includes in the wet, and this means the most worn tyre with rubber left on it. Whether an exposed kevlar, aramid or whatever -puncture-protection band would have the sticitivity of purpose-designed rubber-based compound seems to me doubtful. I'd have no hesitation in riding on the 5mm thick rubber protection layer of the Marathon Plus.

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 11:12:24 pm »
to be honest when my tyres are anyway worn i change them ,the only tyre i had issues with in the rain was marathon plus ,those tyres do not like wet tarmac. but if a tyre is grippy even a worn one i would not have a problem riding it up front.buy yeah give me a new one any day. ;)

jags.

nztony

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 02:35:35 am »
(HIS308) That's printed next to the size. What does that mean please?

Take a look here, could the HIS308 be a model number as it is close to the numbers for the mondial?
I may not be 100% but think I am getting close?
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/marathon_mondial\

Or have at look at SJS's web site as a lot of their schwables have similar numbers:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-tyres-shopschwalbe_tyres_pg1/#filterkey=cat&cat=348,199,347,197&page=1&page=1

Hope I'm on the right track,
Tony

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 03:42:11 am »
Sorry. I wrote a reply earlier and it got lost in the ether. HIS 308 is a carcass and tread conformation style in the Schwalbe catalogue. Say you have a tyre style, say a balloon, then it has a name, say Big Apple. Within the Big Apple name there are several carcass styles, and they may have separate model numbers, and several tread styles, more model numbers in conjunction with the carcass styles. Before you give a retailer your money, study the Schwalbe catalogue carefully to ascertain what you get under each number, and the variants within it, because I don't think Schwalbe necessarily gives each tread compound a different number (the best, longest lasting and most expensive compound is called "Performance" and there are two cheaper and less-long-lasting types as well). Dealers don't even have to be malicious or greedy to sell something at the highest price justified by the prestigious name (Big Apple, Marathon Plus) when it is fact not the very best sold under that name. Some boutique enhancements, like coloured tyres, are available in some ranges only at the top, in others only in the cheapest compound. Schwalbe's product range was much simpler and easier to understand in years gone by. Still, they make the best tyres, so it is worth a little effort to understand precisely what you're getting from the retailer's hand in return for your money. Check the marketing name, the type number (HIS 308), the protection class (Kevlar, Aramid, some plus a rubber layer like the Marathon Plus) and the compound carefully in all price comparisons of Schwalbe tyres, to ensure you're pricing apples against apples and not Faberge eggs.

You'll find mistakes are rarely made in favour of the customer...

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 03:56:08 am »
I think the top Schwalbe tires are "Evolution Line", then a notch down are "Performance Line", then "Active Line".

My bike came with wire bead Performance Line Marathon Supreme tires, and they're still on there. I can notice a bit of wear by now. I have some Kevlar bead Evolution Line Supremes stashed away. The Performance Line tires work very nicely. If I put on enough miles to wear them out, I will get to see how those Evolution Line tires feel!

jags

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 10:05:08 am »
thats very interesting ,i was looking to buy  new supreams for the audax ,on rose bike there £27 or there abouts and on chainreaction there 42 euro so there must be a difference in the  make up of these tyres.bit under handed for the unexpected buyer me thinks.

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
thats very interesting ,i was looking to buy  new supreams for the audax ,on rose bike there £27 or there abouts and on chainreaction there 42 euro so there must be a difference in the  make up of these tyres.bit under handed for the unexpected buyer me thinks.

Far as I can see, the Supremes are all the same, only one spec available in several sizes. Roseversand charges 35 Euro for the wider ones plus 9 Euro delivery, total at your door 44 Euro. CRC charges 47 Euro with free delivery to your door. Seems much of a muchness to me, accept that CRC, being just up the road from you, undoubtedly delivers faster, to me often overnight or the next day.

However, on two tyres, it may be worth shopping at Rose for 79 Euro against 94 for Chainreaction. Fifteen Euro just brought me a smart, nicely made seat post  at CRC, so those are worthwhile savings.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:55:35 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »
One time I bought several folding bead Supremes from a vendor and what I got was a mixed batch, from a couple different years. Their line-up is always on the move!

Here's an old ad I found for wire bead Performance Line Supremes:

https://www.cyclocamping.com/Tires__Tubes__Liners/schwalbe_marathon_supreme_hs_382_wire_bead_tire/11132383_50383-22.aspx

At some point they become collectable and the price starts going back up!

jags

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »
delivery is hit and miss  with chainreaction usually 7 days  ??? best in ireland for delivery in strings.ie next day pity they don't do bike stuff.

yeah the supreams are easly the  best tyre ive used on the sherpa  roll as good as a slick (well near enough) i have panaracer ribmo on the  spare set for loaded touring not a bad tyre only reason i have them my son bought them for me.
love to try the grand bios but man there expensive, but yeah if ever i get money i wil but a pair look great on my beautifull audax .

jags.(who always goes off topic on a sunday night  ;D)