Author Topic: Bottom brackets!  (Read 6049 times)

geocycle

Bottom brackets!
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:46 am »
No, not a cycling expletive...  I have detected a few rumblings from down below which could be a few things including the BB.  First question does anyone know what size BB an RST takes?  I don't seem to find anything on the web and I've not got as far as removing it to check.  Second there seems to be a big (5x) difference in price between Shimano UNxx and those by Royce, Wood etc -are the higher prices justified in performance?  Thirdly, I've only heard bad things about outboard BBs -anyone like them?

Chances are I'll track the rumble to something else but just weighing up my BB options.

lewis noble

Re: Bottom brackets!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:04:43 am »
Rumblings down below are never pleasant, geo . . . . . .

I'm sure the experts will be along soon.  When I was looking at this issue, changing to lighter set with detachable rings, the general advice here was that the older square taper designs were more reliable and longer lasting in potentially wet / mucky conditions, less troublesome.  In the event, I went for outboard bearings, as advised my trusted LBS, Deore kit.  Has worked v well, completely trouble free, and I think easier to overhaul if need be - not sure about that.  I gather it is important to get the bearing faces square and clean, and avoid overtightening the bearing, a point made by the Sage of Oregon.

I am happy with my set up, and hope you find something decent at a reasonable price.

Lewis

Donerol

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:04 am »
The Rohloff requires a chainline of 54mm - see this very useful thread.

Personally I would stick with Shimano square taper UNxx but that is just me. Anecdotal 'evidence' (including my own experience) suggests that ST lasts longer. Recently I came across this useful post comparing ST and OBB and describing how to get the best out of them with improved lubrication.

energyman

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:46:00 am »
I contacted SJS direct and a very helpful lad gave me all the info I required about my bottom bracket area on my RST.
(Then I oiled the chain and the problem went away  :-\)
Don't get that problem with belts !

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:12:46 pm »

Personally I would stick with Shimano square taper UNxx but that is just me. Anecdotal 'evidence' (including my own experience) suggests that ST lasts longer. Recently I came across this useful post comparing ST and OBB and describing how to get the best out of them with improved lubrication.

Thanks for the reminder about chainline.  I'd forgotten that bit and that thread.  Yes, I'd spotted the CTC thread and the consensus seems to be against external BBs.  I'm inclined to look at shimano UNxx if I need another but just wanted to consider options fully.  As Lewis mentions the Sage of Oregon runs a Phil Wood external BB and he's usually right....!

Energyman, can you recall the dimensions??  The grumbling feeling might well be a lubrication issue as I'm currently trialling WL epic ride but so far I'm not convinced it's up to my winter use.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:50:21 pm »
Hi Geo'!

You asked...
First question does anyone know what size BB an RST takes?
Not me, not definitively. I'm going to defer to Dave Whittle on this one, since he works with them daily and can tell you for sure.
Second there seems to be a big (5x) difference in price between Shimano UNxx and those by Royce, Wood etc -are the higher prices justified in performance?
There is a big price difference, but I have also found a performance difference wrt longevity under severe conditions (blowing talc-fine desert sand, general use in rain, lots of uphill work, high use, etc). Whether that cost-benefit ratio pencils out for you depends on a number of factors, including where, how, and how much you ride and whether or not you do your own work (labor costs). In helping friends with their bikes, I've found the recent bottom-line Shimano sealed BB cartridges seem to have taken a dip in quality and don't last as long. Previously, the broad range of Shimano units were indeed a good value that lasted long enough to more than justify their *low* cost (and the proportionally greater labor cost needed to replace them).

In my own experience and that related across a number of user groups and Fora, it seems a square-taper (internal) BB is generally the best value-for dollar in terms of long lifespan and reliability. I've had Tange units (subcontractor on some higher-end Shimano units) last in excess of 25,000mi. My Phil Wood units have exceeded 30,000mi and are still spinning away happily. They cost a lot back when I bought them, but far less than current models due to inflation over the last 25 years or so they've been installed. On balance, I have found the premium units justified their higher cost and then some, becoming bargains over time. Though I don't have deep experience with them, SKF's internal square-taper units are also well-regarded by many.

I'd say if you ride a lot and have a history of trashing BBs, then a premium square-taper unit would be a good choice that could be expected to last "longer" than a cheap version of the same.
Thirdly, I've only heard bad things about outboard BBs -anyone like them?
Again, taken as a survey across user groups and Fora as well as my own experience, external BBs don't seem to last as long as internal versions, all things being equal. Unfortunately, things aren't equal, and setup during installation seems to play a huge role in longevity, as does a correctly faced BB shell.

Unlike internal units, the bearings inside the cups of external ones tend to be smaller and spaced further apart. My autopsies show some were not adequately lubricated from new (they come sealed, so lubrication can't be readily added). Some are not well sealed against water and dirt intrusion and lubricant loss. All these things do indeed shorten bearing life. It is more critical for EBBs to have a squarely faced BB shell to thread into. It is *really* critical they not be excessively preloaded during installation. Much like a threadless headset, it is really, really easy to overload the bearings with the preload ring, and I think this affects EBB bearing life more than anything else. That preload ring is really intended to remove extra play between the spindle and the bearings, nothing more. Unfortunately, just the other day, I saw someone crank down on the thing like there was no tomorrow. A spin of the cranks showed they still turned with remarkable smoothness, but likely not for long; the design is not very tolerant of high preloads.

Within the EBB world, there are also two broad grades: Factory standard in a variety of ranges, and aftermarket premium models.

In my own use and with careful installation and attention to preloads, I found Shimano Deore units were not as long-lived as my experience with square-taper internal (sealed) models. I have since switched to a Phil Wood EBB unit on the Nomad and everything is working well at use far exceeding what I got from the Deore EBB units. You can see photos of my install here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4523.msg43281#msg43281

The Phil unit is considerably heavier than the Deore, but the heft is put to good use, as the stainless billet cups offer better support than the aluminum used in the Deore units I had. External dust shield clearance is tighter, and there has not been the lube loss I experienced with the Deore. So far, so good, but I have not yet accumulated enough use on the Phil unit to say it is better, worse, or as good as their internal units.

My fast-light pedaling style may be a factor in lifespan, but I have not yet determined how. As a spinner, I am putting in lots more turns, but the cyclic loading is less and more even than if I were a masher.

Though obvious, it is worth keeping in mind: Cranks intended for internal bearing BBs aren't compatible with external bearings, so a change in BB would also require a fresh set of cranks, adding to the cost of conversion.

I have detected a few rumblings from down below which could be a few things including the BB.
You're right; the rumblings could be due to many things. Here's a few leading candidates worth checking before splashing out for a new BB unit of whatever kind:
• Chain wear (stretch)
• Chain tension, lubrication, and cleanliness as well as a stiff link or two
• The state of the chainrings (wear)
• Pedal bearing wear
• Tightness of the BB retaining cups

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks brackets may be at the bottom of it all)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:45:59 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:09:47 pm »
My ears must be tuned to my bike drive trains, when the chain needs lubricant I usually notice that the drive train is noisier.

...Recently I came across this useful post comparing ST and OBB and describing how to get the best out of them with improved lubrication.

Thanks for posting that link.  Very useful information there.  I wonder how to add grease to a Shimano UN55.  And since there most certainly is water in it already, I wonder if adding grease would accomplish anything?

I spent some time searching for a spindle for a old style cup and cone square taper bottom bracket for my Nomad which uses a 73mm shell and finally gave up and went with the cartridge type unit.  I like the concept of being able to disassemble and regrease and reassemble on an expedition bike.

I did a group tour a couple years ago with a total of 16 people.  Total distance was roughly 500km. Other than flats there were two mechanical failures, one front derailleur spring broke and one external bottom bracket failed.  I got the derailleur to work with a short piece of bunge cord to substitute for the spring that got the owner thru the rest of the trip.  But the bottom bracket parts had to be overnight expressed to a bike shop for replacement.

My Rohloff chainline is intentionally a bit off, I think about 5mm.  I did not want my Q factor to be much wider on one bike than it is on my other bikes.

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:20 pm »
Thanks Dan, comprehensive as always! I had in mind you were in the outboard camp so good to hear of your Phil internal experience. When buying all components I rate quality and longevity above things like weight and appearance. I guess that's why  I ride a rohloff!

Maybe you are right about a decline in quality of sealed shimano units as I read of some fairly low mileages in recent fora posts.

Thanks again folks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:51:05 pm by geocycle »

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:00:42 pm »

There's a lot of messing around described in that thread, as we spiraled in on the right way to do it. For those in a hurry, the wrong and right ways to determine what is required are summarized in this post: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3898.msg19603#msg19603

The short answer is that with the common Sugino RD2 and clones such as are very popular with touring Rohloff users, square taper bottom brackets with an axle width of 118mm will do the job right, meaning put the chainline within 0.5mm of 54mm.

You know, I wouldn't look at the bottom bracket first. From experience I've learned to check the crank bolts first, every time, and that usually stops the problem. But I presume you've done that already.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:39:09 pm by Andre Jute »

Donerol

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »
The short answer is that with the common Sugino XD2 and clones such as are very popular with touring Rohloff users, square taper bottom brackets with an axle width of 118mm will do the job right, meaning put the chainline within 0.5mm of 54mm.

Are you sure?

The numbers in the text are correct: Stronglight Compact (or Sugino Cospea) crank /Surly stainless chainring on outer mount requires 119mm BB to give 54mm Rohloff chainline.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:37:10 pm »
118mm and 119mm will both do with that particular crankset. What I calculated was an ideal of 119mm. What I could get delivered was 118mm, and I had to take Shimano UN55 to get it at all. The manufacturer of my crankset (Stronglight; the crankset is rebranded Sugino Cospea) advised 118mm. That leaves the chainline within 0.5mm of 54mm, which is as good as spot-on. You can adjust this out with a thin washer behind the bottom bracket lockring if you're obsessive about such things; with an 0.5mm washer you end up with a perfect chainline and a tread width (the trendies call it the Q factor) asymmetrical by 1mm, too small to notice.

The key is that not all cranks sit at the same depth on the square taper, and nor is the horizontal relationship of the chainring mountings to the crank's position on the square taper standardized.

triaesthete

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 01:10:09 pm »
  The RST (mk2) has 73mm bottom bracket with British threading.

Many moan about external bearing  bottom brackets, and with some justification, BUT but but, if you want SIMPLE you can buy a 9 speed M590 Deore crankset with bottom bracket for about £48 and the outer ring position gives perfect 54mm chainline for Rohloff.

The bearings WILL wear out BUT a new bottom bracket is £7 and it is a cinch to fit quickly with less than £10 worth of tools. All you get with worn bearings is a little free play at the crank, no noise, and they can carry on like this for a while.

Normally i hate disposable consumerism but for leisure users this is likely to be cost effective AND it's simple with no seized in bottom brackets or creaking tapers to worry about and a bit less weight to boot.

Happy days
Ian

energyman

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 01:24:49 pm »
Thanks for the reminder about chainline.  I'd forgotten that bit and that thread.  Yes, I'd spotted the CTC thread and the consensus seems to be against external BBs.  I'm inclined to look at shimano UNxx if I need another but just wanted to consider options fully.  As Lewis mentions the Sage of Oregon runs a Phil Wood external BB and he's usually right....!

Energyman, can you recall the dimensions??  The grumbling feeling might well be a lubrication issue as I'm currently trialling WL epic ride but so far I'm not convinced it's up to my winter use.

Sorry, fingers were too cold to do very much other than squirt some oil on the chain.  It worked very well !  Much prefer the belted bike, less hassle than a chain especially when it's cold !

geocycle

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:17 pm »
  The RST (mk2) has 73mm bottom bracket with British threading.

Many moan about external bearing  bottom brackets, and with some justification, BUT but but, if you want SIMPLE you can buy a 9 speed M590 Deore crankset with bottom bracket for about £48 and the outer ring position gives perfect 54mm chainline for Rohloff.

The bearings WILL wear out BUT a new bottom bracket is £7 and it is a cinch to fit quickly with less than £10 worth of tools. All you get with worn bearings is a little free play at the crank, no noise, and they can carry on like this for a while.

Normally i hate disposable consumerism but for leisure users this is likely to be cost effective AND it's simple with no seized in bottom brackets or creaking tapers to worry about and a bit less weight to boot.

Happy days
Ian

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  I may well look into that set up if I can't get rid of the grumble. I still think it's probably chain or crank related so that's where I'll go next.

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 04:12:14 pm »
Just an update.  The rumblings were tracked down to a dodgy Wipperman chain.  A new KMC X1 has solved the problem.  All is intact in the BB area and normal silent running has resumed!