Author Topic: Know any good bike locks?  (Read 2572 times)

pipcart

Know any good bike locks?
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:11:38 pm »
Can anyone recommend a bike lock that is really easy to use? I’ve tried all types and my partner won’t cycle into the city with me because she finds locking her bike so annoying. I wonder how many other people feel the same and if it is stopping people using bikes as much?

frog

Re: Know any good bike locks?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 11:27:40 am »
Sorry pipcart but this isn't going to be an easy one to answer.  By their very nature locks are designed to be secure first and easy to handle second.  I suppose the designers logic runs along the lines of if it's hard to get on then it's hard to get off - if you see what I mean.

Locks do tend to 'free up' with use and familiarity so the fact you have trouble getting it to work on day one isn't a guarantee it's going to be like that for the rest of it's life.

As far as choosing a lock I'd go to Abus and see what they have.  I'd be looking at something with a silver or gold rating. Additionally, a lot of people recommend having two locks, one 'U' type and one cable or chain.  

Not having a lock  does stop me having stops on a ride. But without a bike (ie stolen) I wouldn't be getting a ride at all  [;)]

simonsydney

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
Hi Pipcart, I use one of these http://www.kryptonitelock.com/ it's Dlock and I find it very easy and quick to use.

I have the New York lock and one of the keys even has a little torch in it for when you are out at night.

My Dlock locks the frame and rear wheel, and I keep meaning to get a locking skewer for the front wheel, so I don't need to worry about that.

Which locks has she tried and what does she find hard/annoying about the locks, this might help to eliminate or recommend locks.

cheers,

Simon

wal

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:41:06 pm »
Hi.

I use the Abus Bordo, folding lock with my Thorn RST.

I find it really convenient (small) and really easy to use.

See ...  http://www.abus.de/us/main.asp?ScreenLang=us&sid=7100030780046182004200780229245129&select=0104b11&artikel=4003318335679

It is reasonably high security.

I can recommend it over D locks which I find to be a pain.

Wal

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:18:58 am »
Hi pipcart,  
I have a few locks The easiest to use by far is Abus CombiFlex 202 90cm Lock. This is NOT a high security lock but is very much quicker to use than using a d-lock or a heavy chain.  Very useful for a quick stops and very small – easy fits in a pocket.  

A tip to make d-locks a little easier to use.  Don’t lock the bike frame!!! You only need to lock the rear wheel.  As long as you lock the rim of the rear wheel through the rear triangle you don't need to secure the frame at all.  (Because you can't fit the rear wheel through the rear triangle.) If your front wheel is quick release then it should be removed and also locked.  By using this rim locking technique you will find that you have more d-lock available to go around your stationary object.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 09:21:19 am by stutho »

n/a

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:27:42 am »
I wouldn't recommend a lightweight lock for quick stops as I used a kryptonite cable for this purpose and lost my bike. I stopped to buy a cup of coffee and was no more than 10 feet from my bike. my back was turned for about a minute. I use a mini D lock and a Kryptonite New York lock and chain always. It's a real pain but I live in a high crime area and have had 14 bikes stolen since 1994.