Author Topic: Pros and cons of "flying the flag" with country ID on bags, bikes  (Read 6606 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
I've noticed a number of world tourists with country ID labels on their bags to show their nationality, much as motorists' cars often sport country "ovals" in Europe.  Others paste various stickers or flags on their bikes or panniers to show where they are from or the countries they've visited.  Americans and Canadians of my acquaintance often fly little flags with the stars 'n' stripes or the maple leaf on prominent display.  As an American, I've been advised to do so in the more conservative regions of this country, partly as a way to build trust and offset what is sometimes perceived by people who are not cycle-tourists as a sort of shiftless lifestyle. 

It has been nice to see where my fellow tourists are from, and a good starting point for on-road conversations and at rest stops, restaurants, and lodgings.

However, I can also see it having the opposite effect and being a real detriment or even danger, depending on the politics of the time or place when traveling internationally.  Political debates can be nice, but are not always suitable for the occasion, and might even be desirable to avoid, given the circumstances.

What are the thoughts of forum members on this topic?  Good idea, or something best avoided?

Best,

Dan.

jags

Re: Pros and cons of "flying the flag" with country ID on bags, bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:49 pm »
i remember going through a village in Northern Ireland about three years ago ,as we entered the village all the houses were flying the union jack  and the other end of the village were flying the tri colors .
we were glad to leave that place in a hurry way to political for us  :-X

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:12:16 pm »
Not sure I would have felt too comfortable in that situation either, jags.

I recall riding through a small Dutch village hosting some sort of event and nearly every building, house, and outbuilding was flying a Heineken beer flag.  

My touring partner thought it was the friendliest place on earth!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:10:09 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »
yes that would be a good place to fly your flag or colors lol ;D

peter jenkins

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 12:26:44 pm »
It can be dangerous in Scotland during Soccer World Cup time if you're displaying anything other than a Scottish flag :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:53:50 pm »
...or in an encampment of enthusiastic, kilted Scotsmen at a campings in Spa when David Coulthard is driving F-1 !

Actually, I could not have hoped for a nicer reception, or to meet nicer, kinder people.

I did, however, decide not to attach the little embroidered American flag a friend gave me prior to touring BE, the NL, and Bretagne in 2008.  I was riding with a Dutch friend, and soon realized so long as I kept my mouth shut, others would figure I was Dutch, too (and I did my best not to embarrass my friend or his countrymen).  However, when I did say something while in BE or the NL, then everyone assumed I must be English and it took some effort to sort that all out, amidst much good humor. 

Speaking to one of the benefits of travel, I could not have been treated more nicely by everyone I met -- no exceptions.  Though I only knew English and tried my best to learn and repeat some phrases in very poor Dutch and French, I had many wonderful conversations about everything from cycling to the state of the world and those two usually taboo subjects, politics and religion.  One old gentleman outside a supermarket in Spa gave me a hug and cheek-kisses as he opened his corduroy sport coat to reveal a well-worn blue wool cycling jersey and said my bike reminded him of the one he rode as a professional in the 1950s. Upon learning we were low on butane and needed a campings, another man used his car to lead us street by street and then stayed around to make sure we were safely settled-in to our tent, stove roaring under a l full cookpot.  We literally had to turn down invitations for dinner and overnight lodging in homes to maintain our schedule (a regret I have to this day).  Though I have had some bad experiences in my own country and use a certain amount of caution in securing my bike and choosing a camping space, people are more alike than different where it counts and the good far outnumber the bad...a reassuring state of affairs when cycle-touring and camping.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:09:59 pm »
Peter,

you must remember when it comes to any sporting event  the Scots always support 2 teams. Scotland and who ever is playing England.

Bob

Milemuncher

• Pedaling on Regardless
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:38 pm »
I feel Bob's point about we Scots needs a bit of elaboration  ;) We Scots will happily support English individuals and teams in all sorts of sports - against all sorts of nations: we just balk at rooting for England at football.  You can hardly blame us.  I have been hearing about 1966 all my adult life.  Endlessly!  And given that we Scots are unlikely to qualify for any further major football tournament in my lifetime - it smarts a bit!

As to the flags I had been wondering about adding them to our bikes for our up coming overseas tour.  I kind of like the sea faring thing, if I understand it right, of flying your own flag and the flag of the country you are passing through.  A salute of sorts.  I suppose it might be argued it would make you more noticeable and therefore safer on the road.  Except I worry about flying the Saltire in anywhere other than Libya after those iconic images of the release of al-Megrabi on the tarmac in Tripoli.  :D Mind you, a trip through North Africa is not too high on my wish list right now anyway!  Perhaps my wife and I should just take to wearing mini-kilts as identity badges? 

Norman

farmer palmer

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:54 pm »
Scottish flag/sticker is always good for me either on my Thorn or on my GS motorbike.....Folks often come up for a chat and on our motorbike alloy adventure panniers we usually have stickers from the countries we've visited etc which also causes comment especially if people are wanting to know travel information about a country we've visited. Sometimes someone leaves a wee note.....Which is always nice especially if it's from a young lady...!

Once in Norway a guy came up to me and apologized for not speaking sooner and said ''I'm sorry I though you were German can I buy you a coffee''........!

Only problem/negative comment i've ever had were in Norn Iron(Northern Ireland) where I was told it'd be better if I ditched the Scottish flag stickers and 'lost' my Scottish accent but I think it was a joke really but i'm not sure as it was in the middle of the 'Marching Season' and things were a wee bit 'testy'!

FP.

FP.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
I have decided to go without a flag on my next tour. As I'm going through Iran and Pakistan I feel this could be inflammatory in the wrong situation. I have no problem telling people when I am speaking to them that I am from England/United Kingdom/Great Britain/British Isles...
My own feeling is when you speak to somebody face to face, eye to eye, a barrier is immediately broken down. You are speaking to another human being. If the first question you are asked is what country you are from and that person has a negative view of your country the initial contact has already been made. The questions then tend to be more of interest than anger.
I feel having a flag in a place that still has political tensions with your country could stir up feelings before you get a chance to explain your point of view.
That said, I can't think of any other countries apart from the two already mentioned that I would have a problem flying the Union Jack in. Bits of Ireland and anywhere near a Glasgow Celtic supporter excepted.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:16:40 am »
There is a custom among sailors to display a 'courtesy flag' as well i.e. a small flag of the country you are visiting.  I think that's a good idea.

We are off to Finland in 3 weeks, with our Thorn tandem mounted on the back of our campervan - wheels off, forks inwards, fits within van width.  I will have two flags on the bike rack - the Finnish flag, also a Nepalese flag (my wife has just returned from 7 weeks as a medical volunteer with Phase Worldwide in remote parts of that beautiful but currently troubled country) so we'll be flagged up.  Plus the GB oval sticker of course - and the EU emblem on the number plate - maybe I'm overdoing it!

We will be going to Aland Islands, then the Finnish Lakes.  Never been to Finland before, but my wife spent 2 summers there back in the 60's.

But it's true, you have to be sensitive as to how flags will be perceived.

Lewis

Pavel

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 04:18:23 pm »
This is all good stuff to know as we travel, and leave the US and enter Texas! :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 04:52:22 pm »
leave the US and enter Texas!
Don't forget Florida...but I don't think they have their own flag.

I agree about Texas...when the Official Motto of the state tourism office is "Texas — It's like a whole other country.®" (and they register it as a trademark http://www.traveltex.com/ ), y'know you've left the greater US and gone...elsewhere.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:06:11 pm by Danneaux »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:33 pm »
Well before departing for Africa this year I was going to have New Zealand Flag's put on to my bag's?
BUT after talking to a lot of people I changed to having just New Zealand on NO NZ Flag's because we have the Union Jack on the NZ flag!
A lot of place's in the World do NOT like the U.K or the U.S.A. (sorry) because of being the world Police!
Yes this is NOT nice to say be I find that once people find out that I'm a KIWI (New Zealander) all was OK.
If your from U.K or U.S.A it is better to talk 1st and make friend's as in the end we are all the some and people lean that we are NOT like the people on TV  :o
I have not only cycled oversea's BUT worked as a Tour Driver all over Europe, U.K, and North Africa.
Have had a Gun to My head in one place to (in Europe!)
I have fun about running with in New Zealand on my bike? I have a SHEEP on the front (Yes as a Kiwi I love sheep?) and on the rear of my Bike I have a Kiwi crossing sign!
http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/2012/01/bike-bags-made-and-fitted-and-tested.html
Yes my bag's were small, But I only had to carrier food and gear for the day.
I how have a new Thorn Nomad on order and planning to go back again maybe with Tour d'Afrique or maybe Solo touing which it's looking more like.
!st is a tour of the South Island of New Zealand on the back road's.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:14:36 pm by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ