Author Topic: Aussie Raven Nomad  (Read 4045 times)

mylesau

Aussie Raven Nomad
« on: November 01, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »
It started with a couple of boxes

and a pile of parts

Raven Nomad in Australia - on a 120 km day tour.

In the bush.

Stopped for a photo or two on a gravel road.

Down a sandy track.

julk

Re: Aussie Raven Nomad
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »
Wonderful.
I hope you get many happy miles riding.

mikerr

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:14:15 pm »

Looks the perfect bike for the terrain.

Mike

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:06 am »
Stunning pics!  Looks like it was made for those forest roads.  The butterfly bars look great on the Nomad.  Looks like your going to be seeing a lot of Eucalypt's!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:02:35 am by geocycle »

mylesau

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:28:12 pm »
'tis a great bike for what I'm going to be using it for.  I've got a Surly Nice Front Rack on order which I want to fit at least another 2 water bottles onto - it will be heavy but we can't get enough water out here at the moment.

One thing I overlooked when doing a 120 km ride on a new bike in roughish terrain - new Brooks B17 need a bit of break in time - actually it wasn't too bad, but not as good as my well worn Brooks Flyer.  Another couple of 100 km's and I'm sure it will be as comfy as a glove.   ;D

slowtour

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:13 am »
Hi I have been thinking & researching a new touring bike for a few months now and I am interested in the Raven Tour. I have been touring on a classic touring biker with drop bars and would prefer this set up or butterfly bars rather than flat or riser bars. Your photos are great  - what is it like using the butterfly (euro?) bars?

mylesau

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:08:54 pm »
Hey slowtour,

I love Butterfly bars, I find having lots of hand positions to be beneficial on a long touring day.  I've never been a big fan of drop bars.  I guess at the end of the day handlebars are very much a personal preference type thing.

If you have MTB brakes and gearing (or a Rohloff), they simply slide onto the Butterfly bars.

The only real drawback with the Butterfly bars that some people have is having to move your hands to operate the brakes/gearing - I personally don't find this to be an issue at all.

I find the far reach is quite good for getting low into a head wind and the sides great for leverage when cranking uphill.

I'd suggest you try some out before you buy, some people love them, some people hate them...

Relayer

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:32:29 am »
Fantastic pics!
Looks like rain and traffic isn't a problem there, not a bad trade off for carrying lots of water.   ;)

vik

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »
Great looking Nomad....I love seeing all the different builds people are coming up with... :)

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Crudson

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »
sweet bike.....killer trails...great pictures...[tyres fubared  yet?]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:31:27 am by stutho »

mylesau