Author Topic: Chain guards  (Read 41101 times)

David Cox

Re: Chain guards
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 03:09:49 am »
I'm with Ratty and others.  I'd like a chaincase to protect the chain, not my pants.  

David
Portland, Oregon
USA

Andrew

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2005, 11:17:40 am »
Chainguard update:

We've just tested the HEBIE Chainglider...
The guard rubs on the chainring. The chain rubs on the "chain pipes" and the sprocket. This all adds up to a great deal of friction and so lack of efficiency. We think it would be easier and quieter riding with a rusty chain!

Currently the Chainglider is only available for a 38 tooth ring and 18-22t sprocket, although they do have plans to make more sizes.

We'll keep looking at chainguards... If there's a design you've seen and like let us know and we will test it.

Barni

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2005, 09:22:04 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Chainguard update:

We've just tested the HEBIE Chainglider...
The guard rubs on the chainring. The chain rubs on the "chain pipes" and the sprocket. This all adds up to a great deal of friction and so lack of efficiency. We think it would be easier and quieter riding with a rusty chain!

Currently the Chainglider is only available for a 38 tooth ring and 18-22t sprocket, although they do have plans to make more sizes.

We'll keep looking at chainguards... If there's a design you've seen and like let us know and we will test it.

Well your spanking new CHAINGLIDER won't work on that gearhub without rubbing will it? I mean the CHAINGLIDER model you're using is designed for a 7 or 8 geared hub, like Nexus for instance, and not for a Rohloff Speedhub. The Speedhub's sprocket is far too small for the CHIANGLIDER model in your picture. I'm suprised in fact that you got the thing on and working at all. And as for the rusty chain I for one am far happier with my CHAINGLIDER then having a rusty chain sqeaking away and getting stiffer and stiffer.

derf

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:21 pm »
Andrew, would it not be viable for you guys to make your own chain guards?

Preferably something that would take up to a 52 or so in the front and up to a 24 in the rear. Making it as flexible as possible, to fit other bikes, perhaps?. Is such a guard even possible?

I think the benefits a chain guard brings, far outweigh the negatives(aesthetics), I'm sure touring folk would prefer the less frequent chain replacement from reduced wear [:D]

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:24:40 pm by derf »

kwvogel

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 02:32:54 am »

freddered

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2006, 01:53:11 am »
Rusty Chains ???!!!  Is someone having a laugh?  Who gets rusty chains? Shame on you.  Spray them with Motorcycle Chain-Lube.  It spays on using a solvent, the solvent evaporates and leaves the lubricant in all the right places.

Oily Trousers??!!! Use Bike-clips, I believe they have been available for a few centuries.  Socks can also be used to tuck trousers into.

Come on guys, this cycling lark isn't a new thing, I can account for at least 40 years of well-lubricated chains withough getting it onto my trousers.  Is all this faffing about with chain-guards worth the aggro and making your bike look like a Butcher's bike ?

Chain-Guards??!!! Please let's stop being silly. Remove them at once and donate them to the Village Nurse's bike.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2006, 08:40:51 am »
Hi freddered
I agree there is no reason to get a rusty chain and no I don't get oily trousers.  However I still might be interest in a fully enclosed chain guard.  The thought of never needing to clean my chain again is appealing and so is the 10,000+ mile chain life expectancy.  

I am undecided though as I feel a chain guard would make bike  more difficulty to maintain plus it is one more thing to go wrong.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:16 pm »
More on chain guards.  

Herbie have brought out a new model.  The 'Herbie chainglider 350 42' specifically designed for the Rohloff Speedhub.  It is compatible with 42*15,42*16 and 42*17.

Andrew is there any chance you could test the new model?

The Herbie web site is now also in English!  Click me
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:56:58 pm by stutho »

PaulR

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 12:49:32 pm »
Any news on this?  I have been holding off buying a Thorn until they supply their own chainguard, made to their own exacting standards.  OK, so there are a few oily-fingered old die-hards who love the smell of de-greaser (fred), but there are also plenty of people who just want their bike to work.  There is clearly plenty of demand out there, so come on Thorn, give us the long-life and hassle-free transmission that a Rohloff hub makes possible!
Paul.

torel

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 06:13:47 pm »
I have had the new version of the Hebie chain guard for three weeks now.  I had to buy a new front chain ring as my original one was to large, also the chain ring must not be thicker than 3.5 mm.  Once I had the correct chain ring in place, fitting the guard was very simple.

Does it cause friction?  Well, somewhat.  However, I bought the chain guard mainly for winter use, with sleet, slush and salt heavily degrading the life time of my chain.  Now, the chain is clean all the time! The noise generated by the friction is far less than the noise generated by the Rohloff, and I think the friction itself is neglible.

One nice feature: You can oil the chain through a small whole at the top of the chain guard, no need to open up to reach the chain.

So, after this short test period I am quite happy with it.  Recommended!

PeLu

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 02:33:55 pm »
Any news on this?
There were issues with the Hebie Chainglider, it abraded the Speedhub and cut a groove into it with the time. But it is solved now.

pdamm

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 09:49:34 pm »
I tried one for a week a little while ago.  I found it added about 5% to 10% to my normal commute times.  I also thought it would muffle any sounds coming out of the chain that would tell me it was time to oil it again.  On the plus side it did keep the chain clean and wasn't too hard to put on and take off.  In the end I took it off because I thought it slowed me down too much.

blazius

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17:46 pm »
Hi all, I'm new here, my first Rohloff has just been shipped on its way to me - hopefully I can ride it for the first time in a week or two.  On my request, I had a Hebie chainglider added.  I am unfamiliar with enclosed chains, how should I lube it? Dry Teflon-based lube, or some light oil?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 01:29:21 pm »
Hi blazius,

Welcome to the forum,

I don't (currently) use a chain guard, however if I did I would be using a 'wet' lube.  The chain guard will keep dust away from the chain and therefore the is no reason to use a dry lube.  My personal preference is Rohloff chain oil.

Could you do a review of you chain guard in a few weeks time? - I would be very interested in you experiences with it - thanks.

Have a blast on your new bike!

Stutho

blazius

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 02:36:28 pm »
First impressions after using my new Steppenwolf Tao Light Rohloff with a Hebie Chainglider (the model designed for Speedhubs):

It works like charm!  The Chainglider does not cause any detectable resistance when pedalling, neither on the road or in the workshop.  You can hear a very slight "swoosh" from the chain gliding against its cover, but this is hardly detectable amidst the noise of the new Speedhub.  ;)  I have not tried it in muddy conditions yet, but the chain stays dry after hosing down the bike.

The Chainglider is made of 5 plastic parts which seem to be quite rugged.  There are small drain holes on the bottom if you should get any liquids inside it (the largest gap is a few mm where it passes between the sprocket and the hub shell).

The Chainglider is very easy do take off and put on the bike.  Mine did not come with an instruction book, but on the first try I was able to take it off in less than one minute on the first try, and reattach it in less time.  With some experience I guess it is possible to remove or refit it in 20-30 seconds.  The only tricky point is centering the rear part over the sprocket, if this is in the wrong place you'll get a "clacking" sound and the Chainglider will start vibrating (it does not seem to be harmful, but will probably cause excessive wear and some slight resistance).  This gets easy after a few tries.

Some pictures of the assembly process are attached below.

The short story:  The Chainglider seems to be a very nice addition to any internal hub gear (or single speed) bike.  I expect it to reduce the need to clean and relubricate the chain to once every one or the months (or even less?) for a bike used in daily, urban commuter use.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:44:24 pm by blazius »