Author Topic: thinking of selling the lot.  (Read 9412 times)

jags

thinking of selling the lot.
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »
Putting a feeler out lads.
I'm seriously thinking of selling the lot bike camping gear everything i have to do with touring.to be honest i really don't think I'll ever tour again the bad memories outweigh the good ones sad but through.
anyway I'm struggling to come up with a good price for me and potential buyer.
i have no intendions of splitting any thing its the lot or nothing,everything i have got little use so its all in perfect condition.
ok so here's what i'm selling.
Thorn Sherpa 51cm with tubus racks and dynamo lights / one spare wheel/ 3 sets of tyres.

Hilleberg Akto tent/ground sheet.

exped 7 down matt,
alpkit down pipedream 400 bag.
 small gas stove plus pots plus gas cylinder full.

ortlieb  panniers front and rear perfect.
thermarest compressable pillow medium
i think that about it as i said if i get good price i'll sell the lot its a job lot not splitting anything.
any takers or even what do you guys reckon its worth.

jags.

69nisab

Re: thinking of selling the lot.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 05:35:58 pm »
Sorry to hear you are calling it a day.
Couple of questions. How tall are you (so I've got some idea as to how suitable the bike will be for me). What kind of sum are you thinking of?

jags

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:42:10 pm »
i'm 5.6 just about. to be honest i dont know what money i'm looking but im selling the lot  as a lot i dont want to start selling bits and pieces.theres plenty f photos on the forum of my bike dan will sort you out on that score if you need to look at what it looks like.
thanks for the reply .
cheers
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:01:54 pm »
theres plenty f photos on the forum of my bike dan will sort you out on that score if you need to look at what it looks like.
Whaaaah?!?  :o

;D 'Kay, I'll do it.  :D

Photos of jag's lovely gloss-gunmetal Sherpa, builtup very nicely with Deore XT componentry, mudguards and Tubus Evo rear and Duo front racks with STI/brifter shifting, are available in the following posts/threads:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1744.0
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1744.msg21521#msg21521
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3981.msg18235#msg18235

...and various other places about the Forum, but the photos above will give a good idea of the bike's condition and appointments, which jags correctly describes as "class". I know jags is a very particular cyclist and keeps his bikes spotlessly clean and generally very well-maintained from what I've seen in photos.

What he is offering is in effect a complete touring kit in a box, with all essentials accounted for:
• Topflight expedition derailleur touring bike with the usual desirable accoutrements like tubular steel front and rear pannier racks, computer, mudguards, pump, bottle cages, and dynohub lighting.
• waterproof panniers
• well-regarded expedition touring tent with footprint
• a really nice/light inflatable mat
• a decent sleeping bag for one-three season use depending on climate/lattitude
• a basic gas-cartridge stove and cook-pot set.

Get the lot and you're out the door once you add your own clothing, tools, food, water, and miscellany.

Jags, you'll need to specify exactly what is and is not included on the bike itself so buyers will have realistic expectations. For example, does the GPS come with it? How 'bout the Brooks saddle? Etc.

One bit of advice to both parties...

To the seller: Don't do it.

To the buyer: A wonderful deal to get the lot.

All the best,

Dan. (...who expects equal amounts of regret and joy if this goes through)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:48:00 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:57 pm »
Thanks for that Dan yes i could add the Garmin Legend  always foundit hard to operate anyway  ::)
yeah i have enough gear to tour the planet but i never will, all my gear is waisted on me to be honest i ride my Raleigh all the time now the sherpa is in dry dock.
btw i aint giving this lot away; being as i am, i spend a small fortune on all this gear to do that.if any one is truley interested i'll take photos of the lot and show you what your getting .

thanks again dan

cheers
jags.

[Language edit -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 08:30:25 pm by Danneaux »

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »
So sad you are thinking of selling up Jags.  Your earlier posts sound like you have enjoyed the Sherpa but I can see the sense of moving the touring kit on while it is still current. If you do sell I hope you're able to use the cash to take your cycling in different directions.

jags

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:06:55 pm »
the sherpa is a class bike but yeah i'm no cycle tourer so why not sell the lot.i will be riding my raleigh753 it suits my type of cycling better.

price for everything 1750 euro,lots of extras and NO i'm not splitting it up. if interested i'll post a photo of everything.
cheers
jags.

rualexander

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:10:04 pm »
I'm not in the market for your stuff Jags, I'm already fully equipped, but looking at your list in the initial post I would be guessing at a ballpark value of around £1300 / €1550 maybe a bit more if you get lucky and find the right buyer.
It would indeed be a great deal for someone looking for the full works to get into touring without all the agonies of shopping around or bidding on things individually.

jags

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
cheers rual yeah hard to put a price on it but i'm oped to offers. ;)

Hamish

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 10:06:32 pm »
I think it's worth more than £1300.  Thats all good stuff.  The Aktos go for quite a bit on eBay!

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:13:30 pm »
It's a bit of a watershed, Jags, for sure -- but also for sure the right thing to do if you're not using the bike & the gear.  I had the same feeling when I sold my mid-'50s AJS scrambler, which I'd rebuilt with my son.  Wasn't using it, motorcycles are meant to be used, and so it paid for a Thorn New Raven.

Your idea of selling everything as a lot makes good sense -- easier that way, and would be a bargain for anyone wanting to get into touring right away.

If you have difficulty selling the lot, *maybe* it makes sense to break it into a couple of smaller bunches -- but raise the price if you do that!

Glad you're enjoying your classic Raleigh.  Have a friend here who bought a '67 Special Edition a few years back, one of only 50 imported into Canada all those years ago.  He loves it.  All the LBS mechanics lust after it.

Good luck anyway.

J.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 11:09:05 pm »
Hi All!

More recent pics (June 2013) of jags' Sherpa culled from our email correspondence, attached below and in next couple posts...

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 11:09:47 pm »
More photos...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »
And more...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 11:27:19 pm »
Hi All!

Ran some quick "current/new" prices for just a fraction of the lot on offer and base spec for the bike. Not trying for bargains, but just general online prices, I get...

(From) £1300.00 Sherpa (Thorn Cycles)

£97 Tubus Logo (SJS Cycles)

£65 Tubus Duo (SJS Cycles)

£106 Garmin eTrex Legend GPS (Amazon)

£425 Hilleberg Akto (Cotswold Outdoor)

£110 Alpkit down Pipedream 400

£135 Exped 7 Downmat

£85 Ortlieb (front) Roller Plus panniers

£125 Ortlieb (rear) BikePacker Plus panniers (SJS Cycles)
--------------------------------------
TOTAL:
£2448 or €2,910 or USD$3,927 or NZ$4,692 or AUD$4166 or CAD$4038

Plus shipping.

Yikes. That's a lot when added up for new.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:46:47 pm by Danneaux »