Author Topic: XTR ceramic pads on rigida CSS 30  (Read 2692 times)

arikira

XTR ceramic pads on rigida CSS 30
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »
merry xmas,
ive asked it under wheels but got no answer. maybe someone here can help me out?
can anyone tell me if i can use xtr or koolstop ceramics brake pads with rigida css rim?
how are those pads compared to blue swisstop?
thanks

Blacksail

Re: XTR ceramic pads on rigida CSS 30
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/koolstop-koolstop-v-brake-block-inserts-for-rigida-carbide-rims-prod19778/

I've not tried these as I'm still trying to wear out my blue Swisstops on my Rigida CSS rim, but they have only been going for 10,000km so far, which from other posts on the forum is early days for these hard wearing pads....

I've not seen any CSS specific XTR pads, they do make a ceramic specific cartidge but they are only for ceramic rims.

I'd be interested to know what happens when "normal" brake blocks are exposed to carbide rims I suspect they have the same wear characteristics as butter - anybody know? I do know that the opposite is not good - do not use blue Swisstops on normal rims as the rims become the butter.

Blacksail

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:53:17 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shimano-xt-xtr-v-brake-cartridges-ceramic-rims-8aa9804-prod1416/

In the picture the blocks have Ceramic Rim Only written on them, so definitely a no for the XTR's

No evidence that the koolstops are ceramic only but it seems very likely.

davefife

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »
i use and intend to continue using swisstop blue, no need to "experiment"  ??? with ceramic and carbide; but if you do arikira let us know. i would posit and agree with blacksail on the normal pad = butter but have no evidence, why try ;D

brummie

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:04:17 pm »
I've been testing some Koolstop (complete pads - not inserts ) for sjs - as I found the SwissStop blue pads weren't too great in VERY WET conditions on my rims. I've found the Koolstop to be better performing so far ( in VERY WET conditons ) & perform equally as well as SwissStop at all other times. They're also showing very little wear after 1000 + miles too.

gillybert

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »
been usinf xtr pads on mavic ceramic for the last 21000 miles prefere the to swiss blue top