Author Topic: Thorn for Arizona?  (Read 7785 times)

Andrew

Re: Thorn for Arizona?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2005, 09:22:27 am »
Hi Desertrider,

If you email Robin (Mr. Thorn)... robin@sjscycles.com we are more than happy to call you back. Robin will be able to advise the correct model and full info on USA delivery.

Best regards
Andrew

quote:
Originally posted by Desertrider

Hello everyone; I'm hoping I can benefit from the experience of the people on this forum. Sorry in advance for the longish post.

I've been shopping for a new bicycle frame for some time, and have developed a strong attraction to the Thorn models (besides, the name seems suitable for an Arizona bicycle). They appear to enjoy a very loyal following.

I live five miles down a dirt road in the Sonoran Desert,next to about a million acres of public land, so virtually all my riding is off-tarmac. Mostly I ride lightly loaded for exercise, but occasionally (2 or 3 times a year) I plan to undertake loaded tours with panniers--including treks to other parts of the world. The trails I ride are mostly dirt 4x4 routes, with some technical sections. Above all I need a bike that is strong and reliable, but I don't want to go overboard and wind up with something that feels like a tank when unloaded. So far the Nomad or EXP seem to be the likely candidates. I lean toward the Nomad for what I assume would be handier unloaded maneuverability, but I'd like to hear from riders of both. Also, for personal reasons I'd really prefer a frame made in the UK, not offshore, and I don't see a reference on the Thorn brochure that specifically states where the Nomad frame is built.

I'm 5 foot 9, 150 pounds, and a fit 50 years old.

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated, and repaid with hospitality should you decide to come see the Arizona deserts.

Desertrider

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 02:58:44 pm »
I did just email Robin, and he proved to be as responsive as everyone has reported (one of the reasons I gravitated to his bicycles in the first place).

He reports that the EXP, Nomad, XTC, and all the Rohloff models except Tour, Sport Tour, Catalyst, and Enduro are made in the UK.

So I believe I am homing in on the Nomad as the perfect choice for me if I am to order a frame to build up myself. The Rohloff calls, though . . .

David Cox

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2005, 07:26:06 pm »
Listen the call of the Rohloff.  I've had mine for a few months now and the pain of the initial cash outlay is a distant memory.  If you can afford it, go with the Rohloff.  

David

Desertrider

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 02:17:38 am »
Urk! I know I wouldn't regret the Rohloff. It's only the initial scream of pain from my bank account that scares me.

Cephas

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 02:47:01 am »
You won't regret the Nomad either. I built up a bare Nomad frame a few years ago when the Rohloff wasn't an option. It would a great bike for the type of riding you describe. In fact I chose the Nomad with the back roads of the desert Southwest in mind, having toured out there in the past. Haven't had the chance to put it to the test, but I know the Nomad will be up to the challenge.  

We did the Deerfield Dirt-Road Randonnée (http://www.deerfieldcycling.org/index.htm) last August, 107 miles, 70% on dirt roads, with 11,300 vertical feet of climbing. I may not have been the fastest rider that day, but at 55 years old I'm much more interested in comfort than speed. A properly set up Nomad is the kind of bike you can ride all day, over any terrain, and not feel like someone has worked you over with a 2 by 4. I love mine.

Cephas
Manchester, New Hampshire, USA

Desertrider

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2005, 02:29:52 pm »
Good to know, Cephas. Thanks.

eriecommuter

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 02:04:01 am »
Don't be intimidated by the shipping costs.  I ordered a Raven Tour directly from SJSC this spring and the shipping was around 10% of the total cost - not so much different than the PA sales tax I pay on bikes I get at my local shop.  There were no other fees.  The bike was delivered three days after it was shipped in two boxes by a USPS truck.

Like others, I can't say enough good stuff about the Rohloff and the cost is well worth it if you ride alot.  I have two reservations though.  One is the guilt I feel when I see my wife struggling with her derailleur and the other is figuring how I'm going to meet the 'authorized' annual service requirement.  I wonder what it takes to be 'authorized'.

Desertrider

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 02:31:31 pm »
Good point . . .shipping that thing back to Germany could get expensive!

Can anyone offer any comments on Thorn's racks versus Tubus or other brands? I want good racks.

Thanks again.

PH

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 04:20:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by eriecommuter

how I'm going to meet the 'authorized' annual service requirement.  

What's this?
I can't find any mention of it in the Rohloff manual

http://www.rohloffusa.com/pdf/workshop.pdf

eriecommuter

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 02:24:36 am »
It's not in the manual.  It's on the orange warranty card.  I don't know how strict Rohloff is on this but I don't plan on sending it back to Germany or anywhere else too far from home.  If worse comes to worse I'll take the chance that their service recommendations will keep the hub running and I'll do the work myself.  That would just add to the fun.

PH

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 11:51:43 am »
quote:
Originally posted by eriecommuter

It's not in the manual.  It's on the orange warranty card.

Yep found it, not sure if thanks are in order, ignorence was bliss[;)]
Thorn certainly keep that quite, there’s no mention of it in the Living with a Rohloff article and from the Thorn Rohloff Interview;
“AE What about maintenance, what is involved?
AB The oil needs changing every 5000Km. The internal cables should be replaced every 20,000Km and obviously you need to look after your chain and keep it reasonably tight... that’s it!”

graham

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 08:35:29 pm »
quote:
and the other is figuring how I'm going to meet the 'authorized' annual service requirement. I wonder what it takes to be 'authorized'.

I couldn't find a Rohloff agent within cycling distance of me. And I wasn't going to be posting the wheel off to get an oil change. So I e.mailed Rohloff and asked if I could do it myself. The answer was yes. So I bought the complete oil change kit mail order and did it, not a difficult job.

Anyway, if these things do really last for 100,000 km, and they've never had a total failure, you won't need to be claiming on your warranty unless you're very unlucky.

Desertrider

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 12:55:26 am »
Well, Robin Thorn called me from the UK this morning, and we had a nice chat about sizing, shipping, and paint. What service!

I'm waiting on a couple of checks from tardy editors, then I'll be ordering my Thorn Nomad frame. As we say in Arizona: Yahoo!

TonySmith

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 03:58:11 pm »
Never tried a tubus rack but the Thorn ones are good. A nice touch with the rear ones is that the mudguard stays mount to the rack, making it very rigid. The powder coat does rub off with heavy panniers but a quick touch up with black paint does the job for another few months. A Chrome finish would still rub off in time but can't be touched up in your shed and galvanised items can be brittle.
 I've got some MK3 heavy duty lo loaders and they're good too. I'd have like the new mid loaders but at the time I was running a sidewall dynamo and they looked like they'd foul it. Couldn't afford a SON, lo loaders, small panniers and a holiday to use them in the same month!

PH

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2005, 04:47:50 am »
quote:
Originally posted by TonySmith

Never tried a tubus rack but the Thorn ones are good.

I've never tried a Thorn rack, I like my Tubus ones.  In terms of sttength I doubt there's much in it, they're made of similar materials.  In terms of design, the Tubus win by a mile[;)]
The Thorn ones look so industrial, all square edges and Meccano fixings, IMO you can spoil the look of a Thorn bike with a Thorn rack.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 02:39:52 pm by PH »