Author Topic: The Thorn is my Sherpa  (Read 3843 times)

strictnaturist

The Thorn is my Sherpa
« on: June 07, 2009, 08:23:29 pm »
On tour in the Outer Hebrides wi the big tent

Fred A-M

Re: The Thorn is my Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 08:49:50 pm »
Looks good, though that tent looks a bit heavy!  :P

Where did you get to?  I have fond memories of touring Outer Hebrides (Skye, Harris, Lewis).

strictnaturist

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 10:29:07 pm »
A bit heavy  but you can escape the weather/midge to cook in it  or light a fire.
Did the Vatersay-Barra-Eriskay- S Uist-Benbeculla-N Uist-Berneray-Harris-Lewis tour

jags

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:36:51 pm »
wow just seen this ,what a fantastic tent when you say heavy how heavy,and how does it stand up to high wind's,i love it . ;)

strictnaturist

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 01:16:48 pm »
Hi,
Its called a Tentipi, made in Lapland, Sweden. You can buy them in the UK now. This is the smallest one classified as a 5 man, 4 is very comfy with even with all  8 panniers inside.
They come in a few different classes/prices. This is the cotton/ nylon mix which is breathable, but heavier at 9kg/ There is a rip stop nylon one at around 6kg.
They are expedition tents - 4 season spec- and stick to the ground like limpets. Check out any Antarctic tents,they use this shape too.
What makes them SOOO special is that you can light a fire in them, an open fire in a tin box or on the ground! The ground sheet zips opens up to accommodate. I also have a wood burning stove for winter camping that all folds down into a small bag the size of a small lap top and at around a Kg or so, with the 7 foot chimney too in the bag.
So, if you want , at the end of a great days cycling, to sit in a midge free, dry place,even in the middle o a Scottish winter, toasting away, with your mates drinking fine malt whiskey, sitting around an open fire, talking shite -this is the tent!

jags

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
it is a fantastic tent i love it.but at 9kg wow im only a little guy can't see myself carrying that weight,but it sure does make for a great place to chill out.
don't suppose you have any more photo's of your set up,anyway thanks for the reply happy camping.
jags.