Author Topic: The corners of Scotland  (Read 23693 times)

Matt2matt2002

The corners of Scotland
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:25:17 am »
Mrs. Matt has kindly agreed to let me off the leash for 5 weeks this summer.
My long tour to Turkey and further East was immediately kicked into touch so I have had to think of something almost as exciting and a little nearer home.

Not asking for ideas since it has been decided that I will attempt the 4 or 5 corners of Scotland.
( Mrs. Matt can then come and get me if it rains!!)
My question is, what definition to use.
Mainland, island, inhabited or uninhabited.?

Rough plan so far, since I live in Aberdeen, is to take the ferry to Lerwick and then up to Unst.
This will take care of the most northerly.
Only other spot I plan to hit is St.Kilda which will cover the West.

Anyone any thoughts or experience of this tour?
Not going to be a race. At 60 I will be pleased to finish it in one piece.

Matt
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:07:28 pm by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andre Jute

Re: The corners is Scotland
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 11:37:41 am »
Anyone any thoughts or experience of this tour?
Not going to be a race. At 60 I will be pleased to finish it in one piece.

Do it while you can, Matt. Take plenty of photographs for the rest of us.

I'm just waiting for the nurse to arrive so I can go for a ride... which will be a hell of a way short of the four corners of anywhere!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:39:19 am by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:06:10 pm »
Oh! Wonderful, Matt!

All best wishes your way on the upcoming tour -- what a wonderful place to see by bike; it surely is on my own list.

Can't wait to see it all come together for you, then see the results in photos.

Do take care; exciting times.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 10:39:20 pm »
Best of luck Matt sound like a tough bit of cycling like Andre said  I'll look forward to the video ooops i mean photos.Video would be nice though if it wasn't done before  it would make for a great film ;)
will you be camping all the way?

jags.

Templogin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »
Hi Matt

I have done Shetland to Aberdeen on the boat, then cycled along NCN route 1 generally going via Maud, Turriff, Aberchirder, Cullen, Inverness, Wick, then the boat across to St Margaret's Hope on Orkney, onwards to Kirkwall then around mainland Orkney a bit before getting the boat back to Shetland.

Shetland can be really windy and you will have days where the wind is so strong that you struggle to pedal downhill.  Basically every other day!

Getting to Shetland is expensive, although the bike goes free on the ferry.  Accommodation can be difficult to come by as most of it has been taken over by the gas plant workers.  If you do get here the roads are great and most drivers will give you a nice wide berth.  It seems the smaller the car the more room they give you.

Stick to places on the mainland.  It will work out much cheaper.

The route was done on a M**lt*n, not a Thorn.  Not sure if I am allowed to mention it!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:17:28 pm by Templogin »

nztony

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:13 am »
Matt,

That sounds super exciting. I think we are on the same wavelength as this is (approximately) similar to the trip I want to do when I come over to the UK and 100% the reason I bought my Nomad. Unst would be amazing, and if I had the time I'd do exactly the same, but so far, I think a couple of days on the Orkneys before heading to Thurso and down to Ullapool will be as far north as I will get, before catching the ferry to the Outer Hebrides. And as I think we have talked about earlier, I really want to get 24/48 hours on St Kilda too, although without the Nomad obviously.

While I'm on the northern coast of Scotland up at Durness, I'd love to make a side trip to Cape Wrath, and after a bit of Googling it does seem possible I think, as tourists buses head there, so I am sure a Nomad could do it! I think I catch the ferry from Durness Keoldale Ferry Landing across to the Cape Wrath Ferry Landing then cycle approx 16km, so I've answered my own question

I will be super fascinated by your trip write up. I'm off on my first mutli day-night trip on my Nomad in a couple of days time for 4 days and 3 nights, using my tent for accommodation.

Best regards
Tony
NZ

Lemming

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
Cape Wrath is certainly worth doing - preferably from Kinlochbervie, using the road to the ferry on the way out, as that is a bit boring.
Do an image search of Sandwood Bay for inspiration.

Then send a photograph of yourself at the lighthouse to join the Cape Wrath Fellowship - details on the CTC routes page.

(Not that I am sad enough to send off a fiver for a certificate to display in the back lavvy or anything like that, you understand).

nztony

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:22 pm »
Lemming,
I'm going to work my way down to the Outer Hebrides after Cape Wrath.
And ... never ever suggest a self portrait to me, as I was doing them before the word "selfie" became the word of 2013  ;)
I love a good self portrait challenge. I spend far to many hours on Google Maps looking up places and thinking to myself:
"one of these days I'm going to get a photograph of myself there" I've already started on my collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nztony/sets/72157625293643988/
Tony

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 03:04:03 pm »
Cape Wrath is certainly worth doing - preferably from Kinlochbervie, using the road to the ferry on the way out, as that is a bit boring.
Do an image search of Sandwood Bay for inspiration.

Then send a photograph of yourself at the lighthouse to join the Cape Wrath Fellowship - details on the CTC routes page.

(Not that I am sad enough to send off a fiver for a certificate to display in the back lavvy or anything like that, you understand).

I'm not aware of any really practical track to take a loaded touring bike between Sandwood Bay and Cape Wrath, it might be possible but would involve a great deal of effort and cursing. Kinlochbervie to Sandwood Bay is a reasonable proposition though as there is a track most of the way.

Tony,
If you go out to Cape Wrath, it is well worth staying a night at Kearvaig bothy on the north coast, http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=11 if you aren't familiar with bothies, they are very basic accommodation found throughout Scotland (also a few in England & Wales) in generally remote locations, there is no charge to stay at them, and you just turn up and share with whoever else is there, most have open fires or log burners although wood can be hard to find at some, no toilet facilities, except a spade.
A bit similar to the more basic DOC huts in NZ, except built from stone.

There are a reasonable number that are accessible by bike on good tracks and you could put together a good tour trying to stay at as many bothies as you can.
e.g.
Tomsleibhe bothy, Isle of Mull, http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/9874459124/in/set-72157635761518755/lightbox/
Greensykes bothy, borders, http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/9874948483/in/set-72157635761518755/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/9874929295/in/set-72157635761518755/lightbox/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:06:49 pm by rualexander »

Lemming

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 05:46:25 pm »
It's the lack of a track beyond Sandwood Bay that makes it interesting!

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:37 am »
Raul those links are fantastic such a beautiful country.
how far apart are those bothy's,i didn't realize there was so much wilderness in Scotland.
cycling look's mega tough.

jags

nztony

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:17 am »
rualexander

Wow to the Kearvaig bothy, as I did want to stay out by the cape if I went out there and you have given me the 100% perfect answer in Kearvaig and what a stunning location it is in too. I'm a tramper here in NZ, used to staying in DOC Huts, so staying in Highland Bothys shouldn't be a foreign experience.
I'm just awake after my night shift, and am getting myself sorted for Tour no.1 on the Nomad, but I am definitely going to study up on the other links you gave me, but with ideas like yours, this just gets better everyday!
Very many thanks
Tony.

lewis noble

Re: The corners of Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:38 am »
Hello Matt

My son walked up the west Coast of Scotland, on a trail, but mostly over rough / open country.

I asked him about riding from Sandalwood Bay to Cape Wrath.  He said he thought it might be possible, but very heavy going especially with kit. The heather is short, the hills not too big, but there is no proper path, and streams / fences to cross - he guessed you would be pushing a fair bit of the way and carrying some as well.

Hope that helps your planning.

Lewis

Matt2matt2002

Matt gets shakey
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:13 pm »
As a warm up to the four corners of Scotland tour ( now called The four corners and five Munros Tour - since I will be climbing the nearest Munros to the corners as well as Ben Nevis) - I am having a shake down visit to Shetland in three days time.

I sail from Aberdeen to Lerwick on Tuesday and then see as much of the islands as possible in four days.
Everything weather dependent but I would hope to reach the far North or at least Yell, if not Unst.
Hostel based.

Traveling light with my x2 front Ortlieb panniers on the back plus a sleeping bag for the ferry trips.

If you look real careful, directly above the rear panniers you may spot a helicopter on the tree line.
I was parked up near Aberdeen helipad where the 'copters fly into from the oil rigs.

Whenever I hear a 'copter I always think of that clip from Apocalypse Now.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: The corners of Scotland
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 09:14:44 pm »
What a lovely photo, Matt; thanks so much for sharing it.

Best of luck on your tour. I believe I'd replace that rear tire before going, minimizing any chance for Trouble.

All the best,

Dan.