Author Topic: Deore V-Brake Inhibitor?  (Read 3102 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
Deore V-Brake Inhibitor?
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:22:43 pm »
Reading through the deore v-brake instruction sheet, I noticed a reference to the 'inhibitor' blocks that sit in the lever mechanism - when you pull the lever and look inside they seem to be little plastic blocks in the same space as the cable end.

The manual alludes to the fact that if these are removed, a great increase in braking performance is possible, and that indeed you should then beware of the bike throwing you, rather in the manner of an over excited horse I would imagine.

Does anybody know what, in plain English, this all means, has anybody actually tried it, and is it worth doing?

Thanks

julk

Re: Deore V-Brake Inhibitor?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
I have taken them out and the brakes still work fine.

Once the pads hit the rim, as you pull hard on the lever the cable end attachment moves inwards nearer to the brake lever pivot point. This gives you a finer control over how much harder you want the pads to press on the rims.

I have yet to go over the handlebars from using this feature. :o

Give it a try and report back.

jimmer

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:48 pm »
Jobst Brant asserts that an over the bars summersault is due to bracing the arms against the body's momentum, whereas if they flex to absorb kinetic energy, such accidents can always be avoided. Can't recall where I read this but not going to argue with an MIT prof.

James

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »
I can only state that, having removed said inhibitors this afternoon, and subsequently ridden 2.41 miles to the pub, [and of course back], my braking has moved to a new dimension, no 'over the bars' incidents were recorded, but I do now need to tighten my brake cables!

mateusz

• My cycling webpage
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:37:42 am »
Jobst Brant asserts that an over the bars summersault is due to bracing the arms against the body's momentum,
Err, it is the other way round, actually. If you brace yourself, keeping your butt on the saddle, pitching over is much more difficult, and reasonably easy to control (by releasing the brake). If you fail to brace yourself and keep moving with the bike stopped, then you hit handlebars with your legs and pitch over. It is important to keep your weight as far back as possible (or ride a triplet with two heavy fellas in the back :) )
http://stason.org/TULARC/sports/bicycles/9-36-Going-over-the-bars.html
Happy owner of a Thorn Trident and a self-made kiddyback tandem

mateusz

• My cycling webpage
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:38 am »
having removed said inhibitors this afternoon, and subsequently ridden 2.41 miles to the pub, [and of course back], my braking has moved to a new dimension,
Sadly, they take away your driving licence for "riding without inhibitors" on the way back from a pub in Poland. After riding on five continents under the influence I treat this as a Barbaric custom.
Happy owner of a Thorn Trident and a self-made kiddyback tandem

jimmer

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »
The exact reference I remembered, incorrectly as it happens. Thanks for tracking it down. Am keeping arms fully locked from now on.

James.