Author Topic: Thorn Raven Tour - = SOLD ==  (Read 11293 times)

freddered

Thorn Raven Tour - = SOLD ==
« on: September 06, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »
==SOLD ==

Well, I've thought long and hard about this but situations change and my cycling has changed, making my beloved Raven Tour somewhat redundant for a while.

For a history and description of my bike see my extensive gallery ... http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1282.0

It's seen a fair few miles but it's never missed a gear-change.

It's a 537S Frame.  I'm 5'10" and I think, with different Stems, would be fine for 5'8" - 5'11".

It has 43x17 Gearing giving a range of 19"-100" (it will haul anything up anywhere without being too "spinny" on downhills.).

Front rack is Tubus. Rear Rack is Blackburn (not shown in images)

Brakes are uprated to the amazing Avid Ultimates (they really are the best V-Brakes).

Wheels are SUN CR18

Dynamo is a SON, powering a B&M CYO front light.

Saddle is NOT included (but I can throw one on if you like).  No pedals (unless you want some old MTB cage pedals)..

Pump is a Zefal HPX.

Tyres  - Schwalbe Marathon 1.5"

Price - £1200 or close offer gets it but it needs collecting, from Hampshire, UK. 

I insist you try it for size and condition before you part with any money.

I'd estimate it's new price, with the accessories I've fitted, to be £2500.  The hub alone is over £1000.

Think about it for a while but not too long, I fully expect the exchange rate calamity to further increase the value of these bikes at some point..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:34:28 pm by freddered »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Raven Tour - For Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 06:34:33 pm »
Aww, my.

Almost hate to see this up here, Fred. The bike is looking lovely as ever, and I know it will be hard to let it go, even though it has not seen much use. A hard parting, hopefully made easier if sold to a Forumite.

A corker of a bike.

All best wishes to buyer and seller alike, its exploits (...with your help, of course! ;) ) have entertained us all.

Dan.

freddered

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 06:54:54 pm »
Thanks Dan.

It did everything I asked of it, including a 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km Audax. Proving it can cover a lot of ground if it wants to.

There's something about the Rohloff and 26" wheels that give you confidence that you'll get where you are going.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 06:56:40 pm by freddered »

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:45:49 pm »
Good luck with the sale Fred. A great bike with proven provenance. Hope it delights its next owner.

freddered

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »
I think this, more than anything, describes what it's best at.

It actually gets better the more stuff you hang off it.  In fully-loaded mode it rides like it's on rails.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 02:45:35 am »
Fantastic photo.

Any way we can talk you out of this, Fred? Maybe it would be worth keeping for only occasional use? Lots of memories in the miles it has done...

<there, now I can sleep in peace, knowing I tried>

All the best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 01:15:07 pm »
Really sad to hear that you are letting the Raven Tour go Fred. It was your bike that I took inspiration from when setting up my own Raven Tour, mine is the same colour too which I always thought looked very classy and looks great with both black or silver. It was a shame that Thorn discontinued offering that colour option.

No doubt you have many happy memories together and if you can't be persuaded to think again the new owner will have one of the best touring bikes that money can buy.

Best,
Neil

jul

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:31:18 pm »
Waooh !

Nice picture

freddered

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 09:40:22 pm »
Waooh !

Nice picture
Thanks, It's a nice bike.

I'm taking sensible offers before I Ebay it.  I'd much rather it went to someone on the Forum however.

This is me and my Thorn atop Combe Gibbet

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:41:55 pm by freddered »

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 07:37:08 pm »
Good luck, Fred, I hope you find a buyer you get on with and your future cycling plans work out. A few years ago, I was in a similar position - an RT, but my plans and needs changed. I sold it to a guy who rode it, virtually unchanged - still with my Brooks saddle! - to Vietnam. I was delighted with that. I think the bike stayed there when he came back, that's ok.

I always enjoyed your posts and tour notes, especially the Pico des Europa one . . . maybe one day . . .

Lewis

ruds23

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 09:16:07 am »
Hi Fred. I dropped you a message a few days ago about a viewing. Did you get it?

Regards,

Simon

freddered

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:58:08 am »
Hi Fred. I dropped you a message a few days ago about a viewing. Did you get it?

Regards,

Simon

I didn't get it.

I have received a couple of message via the forum but not from "ruds23".

Let me try to PM you.

Joe B

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »
Hi Fred,
Unfortunately I'm not looking for a new bike right now but I thought I'd post to say good luck with whatever bike you use in place of the Raven. Over the last several years I've enjoyed seeing photos of your loaded Raven both here and over at YACF.

freddered

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:54 pm »
Hi Fred,
Unfortunately I'm not looking for a new bike right now but I thought I'd post to say good luck with whatever bike you use in place of the Raven. Over the last several years I've enjoyed seeing photos of your loaded Raven both here and over at YACF.

Thanks.

I'll be down to my last 6 bikes soon... sniff

freddered

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 02:51:21 pm »
Given the cost of Ebay fees I'll try one last time on the Forum at £1200, no offers, before going to Ebay.

It's almost worth that for the Rohloff Wheel and SON Dynamo wheel alone.