Author Topic: Herbie chainglider  (Read 6063 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Herbie chainglider
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
When I enquired with Hebie they said it would need a new mould, the brake even for the mould was around 5,000 units, hence their reluctance.

So they have considered it! Good.

A 5000 unit barrier at first seems pretty high. But I think that eventually we will see that 36T Chainglider front end. It needs just one large manufacturer to ask about it...

It is a pity Hebie didn't give Dan the straightforward, perfectly understandable commercial answer they gave Dave.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:16 am »
So they have considered it! Good.

A 5000 unit barrier at first seems pretty high. But I think that eventually we will see that 36T Chainglider front end. It needs just one large manufacturer to ask about it...

It is a pity Hebie didn't give Dan the straightforward, perfectly understandable commercial answer they gave Dave.

To be fair I was asking a slightly different question, if they could make the front section wider to take our rings as most of the Surly rings we have found are fairly out of round and create a large tight/loose difference on the chain tension. 

geocycle

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 10:33:25 am »
That's interesting Dave, A chain glider that works with the thorn rings would be an improvement.  I've also not quite got mine to work on the RST frame -it 'almost' fits but needs modifying (bodging).  Probably not a problem for the nomad and new ravens though.

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 05:19:54 pm »
To be fair I was asking a slightly different question, if they could make the front section wider to take our rings as most of the Surly rings we have found are fairly out of round and create a large tight/loose difference on the chain tension. 

Thanks for the clarification, Dave. I don't think the precise small variation in thickness or diameter of the mould matters: the breakeven would be around 5000 units in almost all cases.

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 05:05:27 am »
I've been thinking about 3-d printing as an approach for this sort of thing

Keep me posted, Jim, if you nudge towards a 36T version.  My 38T Surly ring (+ 'glider) works just fine so far, but I want to test it over some more serious hills this coming summer, anticipating a possible trek in the Rockies next year, where I think a 36T ring would be just a wee bit easier.  A 36T 'glider would make a nice addition, as I understand that it can rain in them hills.